Should The NHL Implement A Fighting Rule?

from Pierre LeBrun of ESPN,

The NHL will be keenly baring watch on a new fighting rule announced Wednesday by the Ontario Hockey League.

The OHL, starting this season, will target one-dimensional players who do nothing else really than fight. Any player who garners an 11th fighting major on the season will incur an automatic two-game suspension, the OHL creating a threshold system to discourage serial fighters.

First of all, kudos to the OHL and its longtime commissioner David Branch for having the courage to tackle an issue that divides hockey people like few other subjects.

continued

Filed in: NHL Talk, Non-NHL Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ohl

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

my knee jerk reaction?  I dont hate it, I like it at that level.  I love fighting in the game, but hate goons who’s only talent is that.  I hope it’ll breed a certain caliber of hockey player in the mold of Shanny or Tkachuk vs. Brashear or Eager.  People capable and willing but forced to produce hockey as well.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/19/12 at 01:19 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

You know, I might take a different step to put a fights-per-minute-played threshold on guys.  I don’t know precisely how that would work, but I don’t want to have a power forward who actually can do more than fight get chased around all damn day by a pest trying to get him suspended.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/19/12 at 01:29 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I like that idea a lot better J.J., more minutes equals more fight funds available in your game account.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/19/12 at 01:31 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

JJ I like your idea too but you’re right, have to work out the details to prevent just what you said from happening.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 09/19/12 at 01:37 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

As someone who believes that fighting needs to stay in the game to protect players from getting cheap-shots, I like this (and JJ’s) rule.  Keeps the garbage off the ice.  And keeps teams from signing said garbage.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 09/19/12 at 01:49 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Great points!
But I think the OHL rule states that if instigated, it won’t count against your total.

The less goons in the NHL the better.
I’d be fine with no fighting in the NHL, but I don’t mind the tilts between two middleweights that are legitimately ticked off at one another.

But the sideshow stuff has to go.

Posted by Hank1974 on 09/19/12 at 04:00 PM ET