Shawn Horcoff Suspended For 20 Games

NEW YORK (Jan. 26, 2016) – Anaheim Ducks forward Shawn Horcoff has been suspended for 20 games, without pay, for violating the terms of the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the suspension is accompanied by mandatory referral to the NHL/NHLPA Program for Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health for evaluation and possible treatment.

Based on his average annual salary, Horcoff will forfeit $357,526.88.

The National Hockey League will have no further comment on this matter.

added 1:22pm, via the Anaheim Ducks,

Following today’s announcement by the NHL, Ducks Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray made the following statement:

“This morning we were made aware of the situation regarding Shawn Horcoff. The Anaheim Ducks organization fully supports the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program. We will also continue to support Shawn as a player and person throughout this process. We will have no further comment at this time.”

added 1:48pm, below, a statement from Horcoff via an email from the NHLPA...

“While recovering from an injury I suffered this past fall, I tried a treatment that I believed would help speed up the healing process.

Although I was unaware that this treatment was not permitted under NHL rules, that is no excuse whatsoever. I should have done my research and I should have checked with the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program’s doctors. I accept full responsibility for my actions, and I am sorry.

Throughout my entire career, I have felt genuinely blessed and honored to play the great game of hockey, and I regret the impact that this may have on my team and our fans.

I look forward to the day I return to the ice for the playoff push.”

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: shawn+horcoff

Comments

Temo's avatar

whoa

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 01/26/16 at 01:25 PM ET

Although I was unaware that this treatment

, STEROIDS,

on STEROIDS

20 games sure is a lot for using the wrong icy hot.

Posted by neffernin on 01/26/16 at 02:42 PM ET

“Everyone uses theses particular treatments to heal, but this one will help me heal faster.  I’m sure it’s not against the rules.”

Posted by Garth on 01/26/16 at 03:11 PM ET

Primis's avatar

20 games sure is a lot for using the wrong icy hot.

Posted by neffernin on 01/26/16 at 02:42 PM ET

Well it’s 1 game, plus 1 more game each for every player the NHL’s program would be catching if it were worth a d**n.

Posted by Primis on 01/26/16 at 03:11 PM ET

Primis's avatar

And in the meantime, Milan Lucic and his giant ridiculous head runs around losing his mind sucker-punching people and spearing them in the gonads, but NOOOOOOOO he’s not constantly ‘roided out or anything.

Good job, NHL.  Good effort.  You caught the 37-year old with 10 points in 45 games on the lowest-scoring team in the entire league.  Clearly The System™ is working.

Posted by Primis on 01/26/16 at 03:14 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 01/26/16 at 03:14 PM ET

I bet when you blow through a stop sign and get pulled over you’re the type of guy who asks the cop why he isn’t out arresting “real criminals”.

Posted by Garth on 01/26/16 at 04:15 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/26/16 at 04:15 PM ET

I would if at the same stop sign someone is murdering someone else, a house on the corner is being robbed, and an angry mob is lighting cars on fire.

Because that’s kinda’ the comparable here.  And you know that.

Of all the things the NHL needs to do, nabbing a Shawn Horcoff for PED’s is sooooooo far down the priority list.  Isn’t it always funny and convenient how the guys getting “caught” for PED’s are always these aging vets whose careers are basically over anyways?....

But hey, at least they qualify as the NHL ‘catching” someone.

Posted by Primis on 01/26/16 at 05:04 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Aside from really treading the line on libel, you’ve bought into the popular media’s ignorance on steroids if you really think that causality is even close to accurate. Not that I’m condoning, but you’re way off base.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 01/26/16 at 07:03 PM ET

mmuskrat's avatar

Can someone explain to me why his use of PEDs is even a big deal?

I mean honestly, why shouldn’t athletes be allowed to use steroids to recover from an injury?  It speeds up the recovery, helps them gain muscle back quicker, and as long as they’re clean before the return to competition I don’t see why it should be a problem.

Posted by mmuskrat on 01/26/16 at 09:06 PM ET