Sharks: Burns Likes Us, He Really Likes Us

image

Burns signed a 5 year extension with the San Jose Sharks.  Wow. I want to say that’s very Pisces of him, a “just do it” attitude like that.  Alrighty then.  (I just knew that if I started this morning’s blog entry out with “Sharks haven’t made any big announcements,” they would do something.  Yeah, I meant to do that.)

David Pagnotta of The Fourth Period tweeted “Wow… $5.75M/year for Burns… I didn’t think he would cash in THAT much!”  Huh. I’m going to have to look up all the possible connotations of “cash in.”  I think it is safe to say a lot of people expected Burns to command a little more than that, if everything went well.

According to what David Pollak has heard, the deal is a flat $5.75 per year “no front-end loading, no signing bonus.”  How neat and tidy.  Well done, Mr. Wilson.

If you’re a worry-wort you could wait for the other shoe to drop.  Pollak just tweeted that he: “Made a couple more calls and emphasis on the “about” on that $28.8 M for Brent Burns’ five-year contract extension. Ink must be smudged.”  So, what if the Sharks are going to pay him more?  Would that be surprising?  Upsetting?  I guess it depends on how badly smudged that ink is.

The worry-free among us can dwell on how cool it is of the Sharks and Burns to get this sorted out during Shark Week.  Nice.

This extension makes the deals with Minny look a lot better.  The Sharks get to keep the player they paid for.  Back at the time of the trade, Burns explained that being traded and moved around wasn’t something he was used to:

“This never happened to me before so it’s a learning experience,” Burns said. “Hopefully it doesn’t happen again.” -Working the Corners

My first reaction to that was “yeah, we’ll see.”  I’m one of those people always looking for that other shoe to thump me in the head.  I am glad to be wrong: apparently Burns was not interested in exploring the exciting world of free agency any time soon.

Whatever they’re paying you, thank you, Mr. Burns.  Decisiveness is a good quality in a hockey player.

I’m going to stop now before this turns into a live blog of the Burns re-signing.

Filed in: NHL Teams, San Jose Sharks, petshark, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brent+burns, contract+extension

Comments

Doug Miller's avatar

Really? I’m with Pagnotta on this one, as 5.75 seems like a pretty big over-payment for Burns, in my opinion… at least when comparing that to the salaries/cap hits of other No.1 or No.2 defensemen around the league, and his level of talent… not saying he’s bad (because he’s not), I just don’t think he warrants that kind of money.

I figured he might get somewhere more in the neighborhood of 4.5 or so, which means you can count me one of of those (apparently few) people who didn’t think he would get more than he did… but I guess Doug Wilson must really like him… but we’ll see how all that money plays out over the next few years…

Still not nearly as bad as the Wisniewski signing… which reminds me of a tweet I put out right after that unholy deal got announced:

From July 1 - “Really Wiz? 5.5 for 6 years? Detroit probably would have given you 4.5(ish) given the market this year. #1millionlessforacup=stupid”

At least Burns is playing for a contending team though… (no offense to CBJ fans, but be realistic)

Very interesting news indeed… good blog.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 08/01/11 at 02:34 PM ET

petshark's avatar

Doug, I am really curious about this discrepancy in expectations.

In most of the fan chatter I have access to (primarily message boards/Twitter) the anticipated number was $6M or more.  I think this takes into account some signings that fans might have been considered overpays in the past by DW.

But a lot of writers seem to be in line with your opinion that it should have been less.  Yes, those guys are proper media folk but they’re not all from Shark Territory.  It’s a funny split in opinion.  FTF I think is giving the deal high marks.

I think DW does like him a lot, and I think to the Sharks he is worth a whole lot even if his defensive numbers do not improve much.  So I’m very happy with the deal.  I gotta go with fans, being one and all.

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 08/01/11 at 04:24 PM ET

As a fan of a rival, I am happy with this deal, as it is just too much.

Folks like to call Burns an “All Star”, and I am not saying he is not a very good player.

But he was an All Star in Minny because the rules state every team needs an All Star. Being the best player on a bad team got him the nod.

Put it this way, he signed for way more than Ehrhoff, and his points total was not as big.

From someone that has watched the guy 6 times a year as a Canuck fan, I can tell you, Brent Burns is a solid player.

But he is not an All Star, and if Shark fans are hoping that he is the saviour on the blue line…well…not quite.

Sorry guys…

Posted by vancitydan on 08/01/11 at 05:41 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

I consider myself proper media folk now, as a part of the team here at KK. Even thought this is the equivalent of my “rookie season” as a part of the hockey “press” and opposed to mere “fan”.

I probably should have taken into account that going into free-agency this year, most players were expected to be paid slightly more than their market value, with such a big bump up in the salary cap. In which case, I suppose the deal does make more sense, even if I still feel it was just a tiny bit too much.

As I said before, I’ll be interested to see how things play out over time, as only time will tell how good (or bad) a deal it will end up being for the Sharks… also keeping in mind the trade they had to make to get him in the first place.

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 08/01/11 at 06:57 PM ET

Are they going to trade him tomorrow, a la Setoguchi?

Posted by Seaner on 08/01/11 at 08:57 PM ET

petshark's avatar

Oh my, Doug, I didn’t mean you weren’t proper media folk. I was comparing to the fans posting on message boards without accountability, whose credentials are therefore hard to gauge, not yours.  Certainly, you are also be in the proper media folk club!  Lol.

I’ve found some very good info from unknown sources too, it’s a jungle out here.

And Seaner, I really doubt it.

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 08/01/11 at 09:48 PM ET

petshark's avatar

“...are also in the proper…”
I can’t cope with not being able to edit comments here.

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 08/01/11 at 09:50 PM ET