Shane O’Brien Points Finger At Vigneault

from Ian MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun,

O’Brien, whose contract rights the Canucks retained in July with a qualifying offer of $1.6 million US, said he knew before training camp was a week old that Vigneault wasn’t going to have him on the team.

“I knew I was in trouble,” he said. “I wish I got a little fairer shake in camp. I only played three exhibition games, all on the road, and we flew the day of the game on two of them. And -no disrespect to the players we had in those games -but the three games I played we were nowhere near an NHL-calibre roster. It was the icing on the cake for my career here in Vancouver.

“Last year, I stepped up when we had some injuries and helped our team win the division, and I thought I played with a lot of heart in the playoffs. Every time there was an injury, I’d play well. And when [the injured player] came back, I’d go right back to the bottom of the barrel. It’s tough to play in this league when you know if you have a bad night, you’re going to the press box. After two years, it was still the same thing. No matter what I did, I didn’t seem to stand a chance with that guy.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: shane+o'brien

Comments

Boxcar's avatar

There always seems to be a guy the coach picks out to make his fall guy. Everything O’Brien says rings true and the Nucks will definitely miss him come playoff time.

Posted by Boxcar on 10/06/10 at 11:28 AM ET

In what universe is that?  He’s pretty much talentless and a whiner.  Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say.

Posted by Ransacker on 10/06/10 at 12:07 PM ET

Yankee Canuck's avatar

@boxcar - Not sure how they’ll miss him come playoff time when he’s been there the past two seasons and wasn’t a key piece at all. His size is negated all too often by his poor decisions.

Moreover, SOB had a host of problems - from missing practices to conditioning - that would draw the ire of any coaching staff. Vigneault is no saint, but SOB didn’t help his cause either.

Despite the bad blood, what’s not mentioned is that SOB was resigned by the Canucks twice and given the opportunity to stay. He lost his job as a sixth defensemen fair and square to Andrew Alberts (who is certainly no gem). So SOB can blame the coach, the preseason squad he was on (isn’t the preseason about fighting for jobs and getting in game shape, not winning?) and everyone else in between, but the guy is his own worse enemy.

I hope Troz keeps him on the shortest of leashes.

Posted by Yankee Canuck on 10/06/10 at 01:01 PM ET

Posted by Yankee Canuck on 10/06/10 at 11:01 AM ET

What you said.

He had every chance given to him in the two seasons he was here. His conduct here after being traded is just another blame game in a long line of them. This article just magnifies the current maturity he displays. He has no class.

Posted by NathanBC on 10/06/10 at 01:23 PM ET

Oh, and he came back from the Olympic break eight pounds heavier, after the Canucks had issues with his fitness in the past. So many little to big incidences over his time as a Canuck, and that little teenager is hurt by the situation and blames everyone else.

Posted by NathanBC on 10/06/10 at 01:29 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I have a feeling Barry Trotz isn’t going to let Shane O’Brien’s attitude get in the way of Shane O’Brien anymore.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/06/10 at 01:36 PM ET

Yankee Canuck's avatar

Considering how many quality D men Nashville cranks out, the Preds may be the best option to keep him controlled and focused on the game.

Posted by Yankee Canuck on 10/06/10 at 01:44 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by Yankee Canuck

His statements and quotes in the article made it clear that he does not consider
the trade a wake-up call.  Hopefully there are players in NAS that will be a positive
influence, because Trotz will not be able to turn him around all by himself.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 10/06/10 at 02:57 PM ET

Boxcar's avatar

Same old thing, management bad mouths player to media, player responds, is called whiner by fans. People say O’Brien has no class, obviously they don’t listen to Mike Gillis
No one questions Gillis/Vigneault for gems like making Luongo captain.?

Posted by Boxcar on 10/06/10 at 04:30 PM ET

Yankee Canuck's avatar

@boxcar - What? Last I saw EVERYONE questioned making Luongo captain and Gillis admitted it was his mistake this summer. AV has called out plenty of players in his four seasons as coach (including top guys like Mitchell, Edler, Kesler, Demitra) and some of it was deserved and some not, but most guys got the message. SOB was the only one who spent more time complaining about his treatment; again this would all be a moot point maybe if he had outplayed Alberts who is a pylon on a good day.

AV isn’t innocent, but SOB sure as hell isn’t either. If he leaves the team not just complaining about the coach but throwing other players under the bus in the process, doesn’t say too much about his character.

Posted by Yankee Canuck on 10/06/10 at 04:40 PM ET

Heh.  Every time YC writes, “SOB,” I know it means Shane O’Brien but I’m reading it as, “son of a bitch.”

Clever.  LOL

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 10/06/10 at 04:50 PM ET

Yankee Canuck's avatar

You know I used to think SOB was the best shorthand out there until I saw the Oilers blogs referring to Patrick O’Sullivan as POS…and, well, they win. smile

Posted by Yankee Canuck on 10/06/10 at 04:52 PM ET

Boxcar's avatar

Yup keeping the Mike Gillis Kool Aid, and Kevin Lowe is the best GM in the NHL.

Posted by Boxcar on 10/07/10 at 01:21 AM ET

Yankee Canuck's avatar

I can’t argue with such sound reasoning and astute insights. Good luck with all that.

Posted by Yankee Canuck on 10/07/10 at 01:36 AM ET

A player never looks good bad mouthing old team, even if it’s justified.  Better to keep your mouth shut and do your damage on the ice.  Beating your old team is the best revenge.

Posted by 13 user names on 10/07/10 at 09:55 PM ET