Setoguchi Has A Discipline Hearing Tomorrow

from Michael Russo of Russo's Rants,

Devin Setoguchi will have a 9 a.m. hearing with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan on Tuesday after his cross-check to the face of Detroit Red Wings defenseman Kyle Quincey last night.

Setoguchi accepted a pass in front of the Red Wings' bench and was met by Quincey. He reacted by getting his stick up.

I think it's clearly an accident, but as is often the case in these situations, a player must be responsible for his stick.

continued with video of the incident...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Minnesota Wild, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: david+setoguchi

Comments

bezukov's avatar

I’m willing to accept that this was a knee jerk reaction, but nonetheless wtf?  Why would you do that?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/18/13 at 05:57 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I dunno.  I can see it when it’s a taller guy but he elevated his stick up and into the mouth of Quincey.  I could see it called either way but my gut reaction tells me he was trying to get a piece of him.  But I’m a Homer so you can’t trust my opinion even though IT IS Quincey.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/18/13 at 06:18 PM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

Perhaps no felonious intent, but geez, control your damned stick. I am a homer, too but this crap is just more “no respect” garbage.  Arms high - aiming for the head.

Posted by Colquhoun on 02/18/13 at 06:54 PM ET

perfection's avatar

i think the ref should be suspended for this play. a double minor for a full blown crosscheck to the face is absolutely absurd. if he had gotten a major and a game like it deserved, there would probably be no supplementary discipline.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 02/18/13 at 07:02 PM ET

Chet's avatar

the gooch!

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 02/18/13 at 07:10 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Russo later tweeted that the Wild don’t expect Setoguchi to get suspended; instead the hearing will be about whether to fine him and, if so, how much.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/18/13 at 10:58 PM ET