Sen’s Ramblings

Hello Sens faithful. As the summer days tick away and we get closer to training camp opening, I find myself looking at the Sens roster and wondering if Bryan Murray is going to make another move. Maybe a depth defenseman? Maybe another bottom 6 forward? Currently, the Sens sit at a shade under

58M

$55M for the season (thank you, cap geek) so there is definitely room to take on some additional salary. Whether Mr. Melnyk wants to sign over more money is another subject altogether.

I’d love to see a 3rd line forward that can pick up some slack in the event that some of the young guys trail off during the season; some solid 10-15 goal production combined with a little “sandpaper” (as the experts call it). If Trent Hunter is available (he’s rumoured to be getting bought out), I’d scoop him up in a second. He’s got size, toughness, and (best of all) he’ll be cheap. Think of him as a very short-term insurance policy that you don’t have to expect a lot from. He’s been fairly responsible in his own zone (except in 07-08 where he was a -17) with a team like the Islanders, so he could be relied on to chip in a few goals and throw some hits.

A potpourri of interesting notes from Sen’s land:

Alex Kovalev took his dog and pony show to the KHL this week. And as Homer Simpson once said, “thank you Jeebus.” Hopefully, that will be my last AK27/Sens comment. Although I doubt it and I apologize in advance.

The Jets logo. I’ve heard Winnipeg is a boring place to visit and apparently they brought that into their NHL logo. I’m probably going to get killed for saying it, and most likely be called un-Canadian, but I’m still going to say it: it’s boring. Sorry again

CBA talk. Donald Fehr was partially responsible for the loss of my beloved Expos so his hiring as NHLPA Executive Director made me go into the fetal position. My hope is that a peaceful resolution to the upcoming CBA negotiations can be found, but my memory of the 1994 MLB strike has be worried.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Ottawa Senators, Ravi, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Oh I find it strange that you haven’t noticed the signing of Zenon Konopka. With Konopka,Neil,Smith and Carkner the Ottawa Senators organization has plenty of “sandpaper”
Salary cap wise Ottawa is above the floor when you include Cowen into the mix.

With the Winnipeg logo being “boring” is simply not true. The long history of the military in Manitoba is a clearly shown in the logo. It is a true Canadian logo. But you are right the Winnipeg is a boring city but hopefully that changes with the Jets in town.

Posted by jamezfraser from Halifax on 08/02/11 at 02:39 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Brian Murray’s best moves would be addition by subtraction…Gonchar & Kuba in particular. Of course, he probably should have dealt Alfie a couple of years ago when he still held decent value, but that would have enraged the locals if it didn’t pay immediate dividends, so no surprise that he played it conservatively.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 08/02/11 at 02:45 PM ET

I loved the Konopka signing. In fact, I wrote about it in my first post. I like what the Sens bring, but you can never have enough “sandpaper”, “grit”, “fight”, whatever you want to call it.

Technically you are right and wrong.

Where you are right: Cowans salary hasn’t been counted yet, but he hasn’t officially made the team yet either. Technicality, I know. With him in the line up it would likely push the team close to the 57M mark.

Where you are wrong: (and not really wrong, just a little) is that if Cowan makes the team, its going to be at the expense of a roster player, so unless it is at the expense of someone making less the the leagues entry level, it will be addition by subtraction.

I get the military history of the logo. Still makes it boring smile

Posted by Ravi on 08/02/11 at 02:51 PM ET

I count Condra, Kenopka, Smith, Winchester, Greening, Foligno, Da Costa and Neil, all as potential bottom-6 forwards for the upcoming season. That’s 8 guys. To me, another bottom-6 forward is one of the last things the club needs. And it’s not as if Filatov, Butler and Regin are proven, bonafide, top-6 forwards. I’m hopeful they’re all going to work out - that Regin busts out of the sophomore slump, that Butler scores 25 goals and that Filatov shows us his time in Columbus was an aberration, but we can’t count on any of those things.

We have more than enough bottom-6 guys.

Posted by dzuunmod on 08/02/11 at 02:53 PM ET

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 08/02/11 at 12:45 PM ET

Gonchar’s worth a second look, imo. Clouston had him trying to learn a new position (LD, left point) every time I watched these guys last year. Expecting a 36 year old man to learn new tricks is a tremendously dumb idea. I don’t know how much Gonchar has left, but putting him in the position he’s actually had all his success at for 16 years would go a long way toward finding out.

And I have to agree with the others than MORE sandpaper is about the last thing Ottawa needs.

Posted by steviesteve on 08/02/11 at 05:08 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

I really don’t think that Hunter is a fit here. As much as I like that style of player, the Sens shouldn’t be bringing in older depth guys at this point. If we have a need at forward, it’s probably a second line centre and I imagine Peter Regin will be given an opportunity to take that role before a trade is considered.

Signing a depth defenceman would be a questionable move as well. The Sens have a bit of a logjam on D as it is, with Cowen and Rundblad expected to be ready to make the jump. The numbers game already has one of them in the AHL to start the season. Rundblad is apparently more comfortable on the right side, 5 on 5 - which is where most of our D play. While it’s been rumoured that Murray would like to move Kuba, that would leave us with only 2 D (Phillips and Cowen) who typically play on the left - so we likely have to move one of Lee or Carkner out if we want to see Rundblad on the big team to start the year.

The Konopka signing still has me scratching my head a bit - he’s a good team guy and good sandpaper for sure, but with Spezza, Regin, Smith and Da Costa all waiting for a chance to play centre (and Winchester a natural centre as well) it seems like a weird signing. Especially true if the Murrays are being honest when they say Mika Zibanejad will be given a chance to make the team (but I don’t think they are).

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 08/02/11 at 06:02 PM ET