Savard Not Happy With Richards Hit Tonight

from Matt Kalman of The Bruins Blog,

...Marc Savard also took exception with a Mike Richards hit with 5:26 left in regulation.

The hit was a bit from behind and sent Savard into the side wall in the attacking zone. Savard got up and went after Richards to earn a roughing penalty. There was no call on the initial hit.

“I just got fired up. I got one the other night in Philly from behind [which was called boarding against Darroll Powe], and then I was facing the glass again in the same situation and then I look back at [David] Booth, [David] Krejci, those guys … I mean, enough’s enough. I mean, I don’t know. That’s all,” said Savard after the loss, which sends the series back to Philly for Game 6 Wednesday night.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: marc+savard, mike+richards

Comments

Of course, an anti-Philly story pops up first. What a surprise.

If the Flyers played like the Bruins did tonight and it was in Philly with Philly fans were throwing beer and other things on the ice like the Bruins fans were doing, we wouldn’t hear the end of it.

That article should be about how Savard crosschecked Richards to the face and then two Bruins ganged up on him and started throwing punches.

Posted by propper on 05/11/10 at 01:22 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Of course, an anti-Philly story pops up first. What a surprise.

Posted by propper on 05/10/10 at 11:22 PM ET

If you look down about four posts, you will see the Flyers victory was posted first.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/11/10 at 01:24 AM ET

Good on Savard to not mention the hit that knocked Giroux out or the second man in that should-have-been an ejection and suspension on Lucic…  Classy.  While I’ve always admired Savard, he’s looking like a weenie right now.

Lame.

Perhaps that hit from Cooke made his lose all he learned while obtaining his PhD…

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 05/11/10 at 02:03 AM ET

@ Paul: I meant that in reference to how the Bruins played. I thought they were dirty and their fans were disrespectful.  After a Bruin crosschecked a Flyer into the boards with arms fully extended from about 3’ out—a play that looked marginally less dangerous to me than Ovechkin’s hit on Campbell—and Begin hit Giroux up high when the puck was nowhere near him and he was facing the boards, we should be reading about how the Bruins played. I knew the Bruins would get feisty after being unable to close out two straight games but they were getting away with murder last night. It’s absurd that we’re reading a story about how Savard feels. In an unbiased scenario, the stories getting priority should be about anti-Boston, not anti-Philly in that regard.

The Flyers do plenty of dumb things that I find deplorable but this just feeds into the stereotypes that the Flyers will always be the bad guys and the Bruins are, once again, the defenseless victims.

Posted by propper on 05/11/10 at 10:07 AM ET

goon's avatar

The Flyers have been taking runs at Savard all series, anyone that can’t see this is insane, Mike Richards is a head hunter that eventually going to catch up with him. In game four Richards attempted to run Savard into the end boards but luckily Savard moved and he missed. If Richards had connected it would have been a classic boarding penalty. While the Bruins are far from being saints the filthy Flyers are hands down way more dirty than the Boston Bruins. Daniel Carcillo and Scott Hartnell are your classic hacks and are straight out of a slap shot hockey movie.

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 05/11/10 at 01:18 PM ET

So, Goon, let me ask you this: As objectively as you can answer, do you honestly believe that, after last night’s game, the appropriate story to run is one on how Savard is unhappy with Richard’s hit? As far as I’m concerned, he lost the right to complain when he took his stick to Richard’s face, drew blood, and then double-teamed Richards with Lucic.

Philly.com is now reporting that Giroux apparently has a head injury after being hit by Begin. He’s not practicing today. The Courier Post says he has a concussion. Where is that story on here? He’s a vital player to the Flyers and took a blindsided high hit into the boards when the play was no longer near him.

Giroux has been an amazing playoff player for the Flyers and has stepped up big time during the loss of Carter and Gagne—while Gagne was out. I’ve watched Giroux absorb numerous headhunting hits during the playoffs and key regular season match-ups. I’ve also seen him get concussed as a result and miss time. Targeting players is an unfortunate part of hockey that, personally, I despise.

Posted by propper on 05/11/10 at 02:53 PM ET

goon's avatar

The hit on Giroux was bad could have been a longer/harsher penalty but the Flyers lost the moral ground when their team has intentionally taken runs at the Bruins star players. How many times has Savard had players from the Flyers take runs at him. Carcillo the hack tried to choke him. How about Carcillo taking liberties with him after Savard took a little poke at the goaltender. Don Cherry called him a bully. The hit from behind on Savard in Saturday’s game in O.T. was bad too. Richards while the hit was legal it’s no mystery that he was trying to take out Krejci and was sucessful. Seems to be a pattern developing with Mike Richards…  So we can split hair all day but the fact remains that Flyers fans do a lot of complaining.

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 05/11/10 at 04:00 PM ET

Hey goon - how did that episiotomy treat you?

Crying foul when Savard elbows Timonen to the head in the second… When Giroux gets boarded and may miss some time…

Guess I’m insane.  I think you are simply not that bright.  Then again, I’m insane.

Posted by ProjectMayhem on 05/11/10 at 04:36 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

CourierPost online is reporting Carter was on the ice at practice. If Giroux is missing time, Begin should be suspended. Giroux had his back to him the whole time and he still took a run at him and checked him right between the numbers. This wasn’t a case of the guy turned his back at the last second, this was a I’m going to take a run at him moment.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/11/10 at 04:42 PM ET

goon's avatar

projectMayhem you obviously are an out of touch douchbag who can’t understand normal thinking or you can’t see past your orange shades, I am not sure why you are attacking me I said “The hit on Giroux was bad could have been a longer/harsher penalty” The Flyers aren’t angles either. Carcillo should have been beaten to a pulp for his antics as well.

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 05/11/10 at 04:58 PM ET

Beyond Rask and Chara the term “star players” is being used quite loosely to describe any Bruins players.

I asked you a question, Goon. You didn’t answer it. Instead, you complained. Then you complained about Flyers fans complaining. My initial comment was to Paul, as was my response to his to his reply. You jumped in and complained about how you believed the Flyers were worse. The rest of this discussion has been about your comments. So, I don’t see how it’s valid to say that Flyers fans complain a lot, when 6 of the 9 comments on this page have something to do posts.

Posted by propper on 05/11/10 at 06:29 PM ET

goon's avatar

Propper Savard would be considered a star player as well as Krejci in my opinion. The Reffing in this series has been horrible to say the least. That being said, there has been a lot of complaining about the Bruins by Flyers fans on other web pages as well as message boards. Again based on the Flyers reputation I don’t think they have an moral ground to stand on. You team has two of the biggest hacks in Carcillo and Hartnell. To be continues later…

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 05/11/10 at 06:56 PM ET

There is an reason why Savard and Krejci aren’t stars. That’s because they are second line hacks. When did Savard become a saint, After biting off Darcy Tucker’s fingers? I now have sympathy for Matt Cooke. If Carcillo did what Begin to Giroux, he’s automatically suspended and you know it.

Posted by FlyersFan on 05/11/10 at 07:21 PM ET

Goon - you make me laugh.  Actually, make that guffaw.  Your absolutisms put you in the “out of touch douchebag” category… Such hypocrisy.

I’d love to hear of your toils and travels…  You make it outta the 7-Eleven parking lot yet?

Posted by ProjectMayhem on 05/11/10 at 08:20 PM ET

Guffaw! *Pulls hand out of glove and thrusts in the air*

Posted by propper on 05/11/10 at 09:09 PM ET

goon's avatar

ProjecMayhem you might want to look in the mirror using fancy words but saying little just makes my point that you’re in fact a Douche Bag.

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 05/11/10 at 10:34 PM ET

Goon clearly got the best of Project Mayhem.  He showed him!!!!

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 05/12/10 at 02:28 AM ET

Goon - you are clearly more like a Buff(g)oon.

That argument of me using fancy words (what?  was I writing in a manner over your GED?) yet saying nothing (which is actually a fallacy, I believe) is UNEQUIVOCALLY proof that I am a douche bag.  WOW!  Compelling argument, my little knave.

Getting back to that toils question from earlier - Lemme guess.  You are a prosecutor?  Defence counsel?  Litigator?

Nothing gets by me.

Posted by ProjectMayhem on 05/12/10 at 04:27 PM ET

goon's avatar

Unicorn Force, LOL… It’s apparent that I was spot on in calling ProjectMayhem a douche bag I asked a question and made a comment about the blog article posted without attacking anyone and this clown comes back with an incoherent comment about his vagina surgery.

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 05/12/10 at 07:47 PM ET

Buff(g)oon:

“Incoherent,” eh?  Guess that my multisyllabic rhetoric is rather befuddling to you.  There, there.  Things will be okay.  But I do highly recommend some Sylvan experiences for you to catch up on your reading comprehension skillz.  You see, I asked about your episiotomy.  I haven’t had one.

And here’s a tip…  I get the sense that Landmark College is spot on for you.  Check it out.  I think you’d be happy there.

And for the record, I do believe you are attacking Mr. Carcillo and Mr. Hartnell by singling them out as “hacks”.  I know you love to think that all the B’s are saintly and that the meanie olde Flyers are just awful people, but try to think a tad bit objectively here and realize that they haven’t been taking runs at Savard; that Richards isn’t a head hunter in any way more than Steve Begin is one.

It is the playoffs.  People are going to step up their game.  Some hits will be legal (Richards on Krejci) and others will be illegal (Begin on Giroux & Savard on Timonen).  However, I’m not going to wet myself over it.  With your recent episiotomy, I can see how things are dicey over in the BuffGoon household.  Good luck with that.  I hope it all works out.

Posted by ProjectMayhem on 05/12/10 at 08:19 PM ET

Goon - I was mocking both of you douchenoggles.  And nothing is apparent with either of you.  But Mayhem is running circles around the lame argument both have opted to perpetuate against all of our wishes.  I will say, some of it is highly entertaining.  Rock on.

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 05/12/10 at 10:03 PM ET

goon's avatar

Hey I don’t ever remember saying that the Bruisn were Saints. I have never defended Begin, I am not even a fan of him, I thought he was a uber hack when he played for the Habs.

Posted by goon from Grand Forks, ND on 05/13/10 at 04:14 PM ET