Savard Leaves Game With Apparent Head Injury

from Joe Haggerty of CSNNE,

Marc Savard got a scare last week when he was slammed into the boards during a game against the Pittsburgh Penguins, but came out of the incident with only some recurring neck pain.

The 33-year-old center might not have been so lucky this time around as Savard had to be helped off the ice little more than three minutes into the second period against the Avalanche with what appeared to be a head injury.

Savard, who had been only a few months removed from post-concussion syndrome symptoms that wiped out his summer and the beginning of his season, took a hit to the head when he and Matt Hunwick collided in the corner going for a puck.

continued

added 5:51pm, Julien says Savard will go back to Boston to be evaluated by team doctors.

added 7:27pm, video of the hit can be watched below…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: marc+savard

Comments

That sucks.

Posted by StevieSteve on 01/22/11 at 08:08 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

That is NOT good !

Wish reporters would quit calling it a Concussion & call it what it really is a Brain Injury !!

Had 1 as a teenager & felt lousy for a Month afterward, I was just playing a pickup game of foot\ l fem310r3xc=eh;j

Posted by Evilpens on 01/22/11 at 08:22 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Wow that was weird at the end !!  it was ” game of football with my friends”

Wasn’t Hunwick a former Bruin too?

Posted by Evilpens on 01/22/11 at 08:23 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

Geez, poor guy.

I hate hearing anyone (coughMILBURYcough) make light of concussions.

The two things that no one in sports should EVER take lightly are problems with the heart or the brain. Knees, groins, ankles, elbows, hands, jaws - those can all be repaired with various levels of ease, and an athlete can still live a high quality life after he retires.

Heart and brain problems can KILL or really affect quality of life afterwards. Most serious injury that anyone can have. At least after Jiri Fischer athletes at all levels are taking heart problems far more seriously. With more and more awareness of concussions and their long-term detrimental effects, the pooh-poohing is much diminished, but still not gone. Hopefully it will be soon.

Posted by Evilpens on 01/22/11 at 05:22 PM ET

Sorry to hear that. Thank goodness you had no lasting effects and after a month you were back to normal. smile

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 01/22/11 at 09:25 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 01/22/11 at 05:22 PM ET

Concussion *is* the name of the brain injury.  But hey that’s just the Mayo Clinic, what do they know…

I suppose we should just call a torn ACL a “sore knee” as well?

As for Savard… yeesh.  As much as headshots and hits to the head are a problem, it’s just as big a problem to diagnose when /if a player should play again.

And to be honest, I think at this point it’s in Savard’s best interests if he just hangs em’ up.  I don’t think he needs his place in NHL history to be the guy that died on the ice because he came back one too many times.  He’s made his money, and now it’s time to move on…

Posted by Primis on 01/22/11 at 10:23 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Primis, you really think he should just give up at age 33? I realize how serious concussions are, but he doesn’t seem to me like a guy that’ll quit at his age. Maybe he should take longer off this time or go the Paul Kariya route and take a year off.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 01/22/11 at 10:27 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I’ve added a video of the hit if you are following.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/22/11 at 10:30 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 01/22/11 at 07:27 PM ET

Yes.  Yes, yes, and yes.

I don’t dislike Savard, or to be honest even like him.  I’m completely neutral on him.

But in his unique case, yes he should hang em’ up.  33 is not “young” in the sports world, and I don’t know how much time he has left in his career anyways.  In his case, it kinda’ sucks that he struggled through what really should have been his prime and bloomed late.

But he’s not a 22 year-old kid that hasn’t really made his money yet, or would be having a career cut really short.  He should be secure financially, for him and his family.  And I’m pretty sure his family would rather have him be 33, retired, and know who they are…

There are about a zillion ex NFL players that would advise him this exact same way.

Posted by Primis on 01/22/11 at 10:36 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I hope Savard is ok. I wish the the league and NHLPA would create a group with third party doctors to determine if a player is really ready to play when suffering a concussion. Savard missed the end of last season with the same problem, and earlier in the week left a game with a similar problem.  I hope Savard will walk away while he still can.

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/22/11 at 11:48 PM ET