Saturday Night Hockey Talk In July

from Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun,

- What does Mike Babcock do with his centres on Team Canada. Sidney Crosby, check. Jonathan Toews, check. John Tavares, check. Patrice Bergeron, check. And does that mean Steven Stamkos, Eric Staal, Ryan Getzlaf and Logan Couture are all playing the wing. Those have to be eight of Team Canada’s forwards, don’t they, assuming an Olympic announcement ever gets made.

- Teams that could use Tim Thomas, assuming he’s not completely lost his body and mind: Colorado, Edmonton, Calgary, Florida, Dallas and maybe Pittsburgh ... And no, he won’t be going to Washington for any kind of visists.

- The rumblings out of Ottawa, which are much more than rumblings, tell a story of a Senators team almost out of money and of an owner, Eugene Melnyk, in trouble. Stay tuned: Melnyk may be losing more than Daniel Alfredsson ... And just when I was starting to fall in love — in a hockey way — with Alfredsson, he bolted Ottawa. And now I can resume not caring about him anymore.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

gowings's avatar

“Melnyk may be losing more than Daniel Alfredsson ..”

Me think, Alfie did not get the treatment he deserves…we would never treat the perfect human that way…

Posted by gowings from MTL on 07/06/13 at 09:19 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I don’t know how this “Melnyk’s money is disappearing” thing has not been more of a story with why Alfredsson left in the first place.

The story about Melnyk’s financial woes broke like a day or two before free agency IIRC.  It genuinely could explain Alfredsson’s sudden change of heart.  “I’m too old for this sh*t”...

But I guess that’s not as good a narrative.

Posted by Primis on 07/06/13 at 09:25 PM ET

This is why the Nashville Predators will always be the Nashville Predators: On free agency Friday, the Preds signed Matt Cullen, Viktor Stalberg, Eric Nystrom and Matt Hendricks. That is all.

Oh yeah they got the best player in the draft and he is going to play for one of the best defensive teams in the NHL. Poor Nashville!

Posted by timbits on 07/06/13 at 10:12 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

On the Alfie front ... for those of us that watched CBC instead of NBC ... I noticed a twinge of frustration in Alfredsson’s voice the last couple of interviews he did before Ottawa was eliminated. I think he had that “I’m too old for this $hit” attitude before the playoffs were over for Ottawa.

Melnyk running out of money ??  Oh I feel so sorry for him .... weh fuchin’ weh.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 07/06/13 at 10:42 PM ET

Good point, and what with their two playoffs series wins in franchise history, almost perennial inability to score goals and apparent inability to attract free agents, they’re practically in the middle of a dynasty right now!

Posted by Garth on 07/06/13 at 11:00 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/06/13 at 11:00 PM ET

Sssshhhhh, Wyshinski might get ideas.  Oh wait, he probably already is penning his Predators Dynasty column based on Jones alone…

Posted by Primis on 07/06/13 at 11:32 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I don’t know how to imbed this, alas.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/06/13 at 11:50 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

oh. Heh. It did it for me.  Smart website!

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/06/13 at 11:51 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

And now I can resume not caring about him anymore.

Funny, thats the same way I feel about Simmons

Posted by Hootinani on 07/07/13 at 12:14 AM ET

Posted by Garth on 07/06/13 at 11:00 PM ET

If I said Nashville was a dynasty, you should take a course in reading comprehension.

Posted by timbits on 07/07/13 at 01:37 AM ET

That’s an interesting response from someone who responded to a comment about Nashville’s free agents with a rebuttal about a single Nashville draft pick.

It’s nice that you’re allowed to make fun of what you see as a stupid comment but nobody else is allowed to make fun of your stupid response.

Posted by Garth on 07/07/13 at 10:55 AM ET

I am glad to see you have a full comprehension of stupid.

Posted by timbits on 07/07/13 at 11:55 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I’m also very curious how Nashville fares now having lost Detroit.  I don’t think it’s going to go too well for them.  They saw Detroit as their main rival of course.

Now who?

Posted by Primis on 07/07/13 at 12:11 PM ET

Now who?

Posted by Primis on 07/07/13 at 12:11 PM ET

The Cawks.  And I think it’s gonna get dirtier than it was against the Wings, primarily because both teams have relatively young-ish fans raised on XBox Live and Halo Online-levels of doucheness.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/07/13 at 01:23 PM ET