Samuelssson Preparing For Another Cup Run

from Gordon McIntyre of the Vancouver Province,

He (Mikael Samuelsson) sees no reasons for the fabled Cup hangover to affect the Canucks.

“Let’s see how we respond this year,” he said. “Guys, myself included, want to get back on a winning note.

“I don’t think we should have lesser expectations this year. That being said, it’s not easy going to the final, but we know we’re one of seven or eight teams that are really good.

“We’ve just got to go and show it.”

He was a frustrated spectator, watching as the Canucks finished off the Predators, then the Sharks, before losing four of their final five games against Boston.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mikael+samuelsson

Comments

I also see no reason for the cup hangover to affect the Canucks seeing as they did not win it…

Posted by pstumba on 08/30/11 at 12:53 PM ET

Posted by pstumba on 08/30/11 at 11:53 AM ET

Kaaapow!!

This Canuck team really says the wrong things in interviews a lot of the time. They talk like they play. I was supporting them in support for my dad last season but as the season went along it got harder, and by the 2nd round of the playoffs I was cheering against them.

Posted by NathanBC on 08/30/11 at 01:12 PM ET

What wrong things did Samuelsson say during the interview?  Here are all the direct quotes from him in the article:

“First of all, every time you step onto the ice for the first time in summer, you feel stiff,”
“It doesn’t feel any worse, any different, from the other years, so that’s a good sign.
“I feel stronger in the area I had surgery on.”
“I’ve rehabbed pretty well every day this summer,” he said. “That’s what I have to do if I want to come back in the best shape ever.”
“We’ve just got to go and show it.”
“When you’re really hurting, sitting in front of a TV or in the lockerroom, you know you’re not going to be there,” “But when you start to recover, in my case when I started to walk again, then the frustration sets in, then you feel you can maybe get out there.”
On Rypien’s suicide. “He was a great guy,” the winger said. “For at least a couple of days I couldn’t believe it. It was sad, sad.”

The “cup hangover” came from the article’s writer, not the player.

Posted by Kel on 08/30/11 at 02:36 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Hopefully Samuelsson won’t shoot the puck every time he touches it like he did in his Detroit years… that oughta help Vancouver’s chances.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/30/11 at 02:59 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

So I guess the glass and the boards behind the net must be getting a good workout.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 08/30/11 at 05:19 PM ET