Salary Cap Talk

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I’d like this better than the hard cap. The owners who want to spend should be able to.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 06/18/19 at 11:37 AM ET

I would like them to exceed cap only for their own draft choices and only up to a set overage of ~10%

Posted by mtta on 06/18/19 at 11:47 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet,

I think teams believe the NHL and NHLPA, to maintain labour peace, are going to tighten the cap for two years until a new U.S. television deal is announced. Here are the factors:

CHANGING PLAYER ATTITUDES
The days of the hometown discount are ending. There will always be exceptions — Tampa Bay having an excellent team and terrific taxation situation is the obvious one at this time — but more and more players are flexing their financial muscle. The younger generation in particular is indicating it will not be satisfied taking a salary backseat.

In a hard cap system, the punishment for drafting and developing well is that you have to make choices. The Jets are a perfect example, but everyone is feeling it.

CBA NEGOTIATIONS
Both the league and union have the opportunity to re-open the CBA in September. They are working to avoid it. The players don’t want a stoppage, but they want escrow to be eased. Last season’s number was 11.6 per cent, and if I had that much of my paycheque being withheld every two weeks, I’d be annoyed, too. The league is prepared to work with them on this, and I believe both sides are investigating long-term solutions. (More on this in a minute.)

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/18/19 at 12:17 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

So long as Phoenix, Florida, and Carolina are kept viable off the money made in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver. Why fix what ain’t broken??.... confused

Posted by Down River Dan on 06/18/19 at 12:59 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by mtta on 06/18/19 at 11:47 AM ET

I support something like that to give drafting teams the ability to keep their talent, maybe allow up to 3
“draft reserve” max contracts that only account 85% of their salary on the cap or something.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 06/18/19 at 01:18 PM ET

I actually like the existing cap system but this is an idea I could support. I’d rather see teams given an advantage for drafting/developing talent than simply because they have bigger purses.

Posted by evileye on 06/20/19 at 09:31 AM ET