Saad the difference-maker again as Blackhawks tie Stanley Cup Final at 2 games apiece

The Chicago Blackhawks' 2-1 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning was an utterly bizarre one. After a first period that was so dull that it couldn't slice melted butter, the pace and intensity of play ramped up to a feverish pitch in the 2nd and an overtime-like pace in the 3rd period, and as Chiago raced out to 1-0 and 2-1 leads on surprise starter Andrei Vasilevsky, Tampa Bay roared back with incredibly, incredibly energetic play...

But the visibly-fatigued Blackhawks defended like a team knowing it might be out of the series if it went down 3 games to 1--even with a 2-day break before Saturday's Game 5--and as a result, the series heads back to Tampa Bay tied at 2 games apiece, with the Hawks having rope-a-doped their way to victory.

Brandon Saads goal--and Andrei Vasilevskiy's overreaction on the cross-crease play that led to his legs opening for said goal--sealed the deal:

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brandon+saad, chicago+blackhawks, tampa+bay+lightning

Comments

Pretty sure it was a 2-1 win. Also I disagree, the first period wasn’t dull Tampa was all over Chicago making some excellent takeaways and nearly taking advantage of several defensive miscues on Chicago’s end.

Also I don’t believe Stamkos missed two prime scoring chances in the waning seconds. That flurry at the end of the game was intense, it is hard to believe a goal didn’t materialize. Game 5 will be interesting.

Posted by Robert on 06/10/15 at 10:55 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Sorry, I wrote this assuming the Hawks would score an empty-netter, went to search for the goal, hit “submit entry.” My bad.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/10/15 at 10:58 PM ET

Lol no worries just thought you should know for accuracy’s sake.

Posted by Robert on 06/10/15 at 11:01 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Well I’m sorry about the inaccuracy, as I was writing this the Coyotes shit hit the fan, so I went, “*#$%@&, just post this thing and move on to the Yotes stuff.” Bad attention to detail on my part, and I hate it when I get the details wrong. My bad.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/10/15 at 11:12 PM ET

Stuff happens, it could’ve easily been a typo as well and in the grand scheme of things it is completely irrelevant!

The Coyotes stuff is a disaster so I don’t blame you at all for focusing on that. The worst part about it is people were just starting to think they had this whole thing figured out :/.

Posted by Robert on 06/11/15 at 12:09 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

This series could easily be over, but for some strange strategic/tactical decisions by Cooper, and an incredibly weak goal given up to Saad last night. Why on this still blue earth Tyler Johnson with his sore hand was at the left wall/circle on the PP and mister all world snapshot Stamkos was mucking in the low slot is a riddle no one can solve.

Posted by duhduhduh on 06/11/15 at 07:43 AM ET

DocF's avatar

“Why on this still blue earth Tyler Johnson with his sore hand was at the left wall/circle on the PP and mister all world snapshot Stamkos was mucking in the low slot is a riddle no one can solve.”

Posted by MoreShoot on 06/11/15 at 07:43 AM ET

I would think it would be obvious by now that T. Johnson, even one-handed, is much more dangerous than is Stamkos.  Of course, that disregards the fact that Stamkos single-handedly beat the Red Wings in four games in the first round of the playoffs.  Oh wait!  That didn’t happen did it?  Without Johnson, playing for Tampa, the Red Wings would have won that series, for sure.  Stamkos did nothing in it.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 06/11/15 at 10:10 AM ET

Stamkos was grwat in the canadiens and rangers series. Stamkis has also had a lot of great looks against Chicago but he can’t buy a goal right now for sone reason.

Posted by Robert on 06/11/15 at 10:35 AM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

my point is Johnson seems to make plays anywhere, and would seem to want to score up close, with the hand, but that circle is his place, much like Ovechkin.  He excels ripping the one-timer from there.  If a guy is struggling, wouldn’t you want to put him in a comfortable place?

Posted by duhduhduh on 06/11/15 at 11:25 AM ET

bigfrog's avatar

All I can say it’s a best 2 of 3 with two games in Tampa Bay. Go Bolts beat the Slackhawks and their obnoxious fans, and it includes Obama. cheese

Posted by bigfrog on 06/11/15 at 02:05 PM ET