Ryan Suspended Two Games

TORONTO (April 16, 2011) – Anaheim Ducks forward Bobby Ryan has been suspended two games for a kicking incident against Nashville Predators defenseman Jonathon Blum in Game #2 of their Western Conference quarterfinal series on April 15.

“The actions by Ryan were both reckless and dangerous,” said NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell.  “While it was fortunate there was no injury to Blum on the play, the act of using your skate in this manner is unacceptable.”

The incident occurred at 16:35 of the third period.  No penalty was assessed on the play.

Ryan will miss Game 3 and 4 of the series.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: bobby+ryan

Comments

I dislike the Ducks but this seems a little harsh.

Posted by mc keeper on 04/16/11 at 08:24 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

I didn’t know the wheel of justice went to 2 in the playoffs

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 04/16/11 at 08:32 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

video?

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/16/11 at 08:33 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Video?  Of course.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/16/11 at 08:35 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Cheers. Just found it. Thanks Paul!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/16/11 at 08:39 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Justified.  As I said in the first post about this incident, there is NEVER any reason to use your skate like that.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 04/16/11 at 08:55 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I didn’t know the wheel of justice went to 2 in the playoffs

aLol (tm Tyler)

I am having serious doubts that anyone in the NHL has any grasp on consistent enforcement of the rules; either in game or supplementary.

Having said that, I’m with RedMenace on this.  Intolerable, skates cannot ever be used in such a manner.  Intent is not relevant.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/16/11 at 09:29 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Wow. Pleasantly surprised.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 04/16/11 at 09:47 PM ET

To me, this is just as, if not more, dangerous then hits to the head. It doesn’t take much to severe, slice or whatever with those skate blades. Ask Modano how that went for him when he was grazed by a blade. He’s actually stomping on him. I don’t care if its his skate or not. It was very reckless and I don’t think 2 games is enough to be honest.

Posted by Stuck in the Soo on 04/16/11 at 11:31 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

yah i have to echo the response of most people here.  There is no place for what Ryan did in this game.  How can he POSSIBLY defend what he did.  It does nothing to get the puck away, hes not trying to kick it away.  The only thing it serves is to scare the opponent into thinking u will chop his foot off, or to actually chop his foot off.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 04/17/11 at 12:57 AM ET