Ryan Smyth Rumors Continue—Updates

From TSN:

Los Angeles Kings forward Ryan Smyth could be returning to Alberta, but not with the Edmonton Oilers.

According to TSN’s Gord Miller, the Calgary Flames are closing in on a deal for Smyth, who would have to waive his no-trade. The Flames would send a late round pick back to Los Angeles.

Smyth is in the final year of a contract that will pay him $4.5 million this season, although the cap hit is $6.25 million.

Yesterday, Eric Duhatscheck at the Globe & Mail quoted Kings GM Dean Lombardi on the topic of Smyth:

Lombardi confirmed he had primarily dealt with three teams, and “particularly two right now.”

“I’m not in a great position here,” continued Lombardi. “I’m trying to adapt. I’ve talked to one team a number of times and they’ve been very forthright in terms of trying to get a deal together - and I hope to have that wrapped up here in a day or two.”

Update 2:40pm: At the same TSN link above, Miller reports this deal is already done, “pending ownership approval.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ryan+smyth

Comments

Mac's avatar

I thought Feaster would spell the end of the big name big money past his prime splurges…guess not!  Here we go again!

Posted by Mac from Canada on 06/24/11 at 04:41 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

I seem to have missed something: why is LA trying to ship Smyth anywhere?
A bad contract? Poor Chemistry? over-the-hill? Something else?

Thanks.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 06/24/11 at 04:46 PM ET

Mac's avatar

He wants to be closer to home.

Posted by Mac from Canada on 06/24/11 at 04:50 PM ET

SK77's avatar

How would Smyth slot in with the Flames current lineup? While he’s a great “team” player and all that jazz, 4.5million (with enormous 6.25 cap hit) seems like an insane amount of money to drop on a 3rd/4th liner, right?

Posted by SK77 on 06/24/11 at 04:52 PM ET

Mac's avatar

Edmonton was clearly smart enough to say thanks but no thanks based on his contract…Calgary on the other hand is always willing to take bad contracts and under achieving players off other teams hands.  Hell, they’ll even do that then sign them to a worse contract (see Stajan).  Like I said earlier thought that crap was gone with Sutter.  I’m getting more and more furious by the minute thinking about this move.

Posted by Mac from Canada on 06/24/11 at 04:53 PM ET

Mac's avatar

@ some kid: No his 47 pts will likely be lining up opposite Iggy while Tanguay will likely be playing elsewhere for far less of a cap hit.  Forget the top line center, lets plug in another aging vet!

Posted by Mac from Canada on 06/24/11 at 04:55 PM ET

SK77's avatar

I barely ever see Smyth play—and stopped following the Flames a few years back—but would the idea of Smyth causing havoc in front of the net while Iginla worked his magic as center really be the worst thing ever? Who would the Flames use as the other wing on that line?

Posted by SK77 on 06/24/11 at 04:59 PM ET

Chet's avatar

he just isn’t worth a $6-plus million cap hit. bottom line.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 06/24/11 at 05:01 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

For once I agree with Flames fans, Feaster is not changing anything apparently.  He is shipping out one big contract (Regehr)  to take on an even worse one (Smyth).  Smyth is not worth that much let alone $4.5.  This move really makes no sense for Calgary.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 06/24/11 at 05:35 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

this makes no sense at all.  IF anything it would for edmonton, since they have tons of cap space and smyth has a history with them.  In calgary, they have cap issues, and they are in a rebuild mode.  They don’t need to take a aging vet with cap issues.  They thought they would get change in calgary, this just proves that feaster really was sutter’s bitch.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 06/24/11 at 05:56 PM ET

Mac's avatar

Thankfully the word from Dreger is now that Smyth could be headed to Edmonton for Brule.  My issue was never with Smyth, but with his contract.  He, in fact, is a better fit for the Oil given that they have tons of cap space and he can be a vetern presence for all the young players in their room.

Thankfully I hadn’t yet traded all my Flames gear for Winnipeg Jets gear!!  lol