Ryan Kesler Opens Up

from Ryan Kesler at The Players' Tribune,

I wanted a trade out of Vancouver this offseason for several reasons. That’s no disrespect to the fans, my teammates, or Canucks ownership, but I think both sides needed a change. I’ve got three kids at home; I just wanted a more normal life for them away from the rink. Playing in Canada can be a fishbowl not just for players but for families, too. That said, this was really hard. I know you read that all the time, but Vancouver was my home since I was 19. I grew up with Kevin Bieksa, Alex Burrows, and the Sedins. These guys will always be my close friends. One day you wake up and you realize, Wow, I’m really leaving my buddies. It’s weird because I spent all summer preparing for a move, but when I actually got the call from my agent that I was headed to Anaheim, a little bit of anxiety rushed in.

My first thought was: Sunshine. Shorts and flip flops. Nice.

My second thought was: Getzlaf and Perry. Interesting.

Then came a rush of really complicated thoughts: How am I going to tell my 6-year-old daughter that she has to say goodbye to her best friends? What happens with my Canadian bank account? How do those taxes work? Where do I live? How do you even move furniture and stuff?

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ryan+kesler

Comments

nEgativezEro's avatar

Say what you want about Jeter, but the articles I’ve read in the Tribune are some of the most fascinating looks inside the sport that you never really get to see or hear. From Dupuis and his clotting issues, to Kesler and what it’s like from the inside when you’ve been traded, I’ve never been bored by any of the hockey articles posted there.

Posted by nEgativezEro on 03/06/15 at 04:04 PM ET

Temo's avatar

Posted by nEgativezEro on 03/06/15 at 03:04 PM ET

Agreed.  I get so caught up in seeing these guys as ahtletes while not knowing much about their lives as people.

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 03/06/15 at 04:17 PM ET

How do you even move furniture and stuff?

Seriously?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 03/06/15 at 04:45 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

How do you even move furniture and stuff?

When you are a multi millionaire you don’t, you just give it to charity.

Math is hard for Kesler so I’m guessing he doesn’t do his own taxes each year for his family
raspberry

Posted by Slumpy from Under My Wheels on 03/06/15 at 05:38 PM ET

CaliforniaPuck31's avatar

I’ve never been bored by any of the hockey articles posted there.

I’ll even read the football ones - they’re super interesting and I agree, the human side of the sports world isn’t shown as much as it should be.

I think Jeter’s doing a great job with that site. One of my new favorites.

Posted by CaliforniaPuck31 from San Luis Obispo, CA on 03/06/15 at 06:51 PM ET