Rod Brind’Amour On The Questionable Goal From The Boston Bruins

from Luke DeCock of the News & Observer,

Brind’Amour challenged one aspect of the play; the NHL ruled that the officials had actually gotten a different aspect wrong and not only awarded the goal but gave the Bruins a power play.

“This is why the league’s a joke, in my opinion, on these things,” Brind’Amour told The News & Observer. “That one is a crime scene.”

n the second period, Boston’s Charlie Coyle ended up scoring into an open net after Anders Bjork swiped the puck from Petr Mrazek’s glove on the ice. The Hurricanes challenged the goal, arguing that there was an illegal hand pass when the Bruins’ Nick Ritchie knocked the puck out of midair with his glove before it ended up with Mrazek.

Referee Chris Lee ruled that Mrazek had possession of the puck, wiping out the hand pass -- an admission the officials botched the play by failing to blow the whistle when Mrazek froze the puck -- and awarding the goal. But Brind’Amour said afterward that referees Lee and Francis Charron wouldn’t give him any information about the call on the ice, leaving him with a 50-50 choice of which of their potential mistakes to challenge.

“They came to me, and I said, ‘If he has possession of it then it’s goalie interference. If he doesn’t have possession then it’s a hand pass. It’s one of the two. I don’t know what you’re calling on the ice,’” Brind’Amour said. “All he has to do is tell me. ‘We’re calling it nonpossession (by Mrazek),’ then we’re challenging a glove-hand pass. If it’s possession, then goaltender interference. I said, ‘Tell me the call on the ice.’ They wouldn’t do it when I say, ‘What is the call?’ So I had to flip a coin. ...

read on

Catch the goal in the game highlights below...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Carolina Hurricanes, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Down River Dan's avatar

That was a colossal Horse-#@*! Cluster-#@*! of a screw job by those referees. They should be sent out of the bubble today and not work another playoff game.

I’m sure Brind’Amour will be fined for his comments. I would be willing to contribute to any fund to help pay it off.

League lost what remained of the little credibility it had.  sick

Posted by Down River Dan on 08/12/20 at 04:35 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

He’s 110% right.

In OT, the B’s slashed a stick out of someone’s hand and high sticked another, those are usually two plays that are called, even when the whistles are swallowed, and then about 2 minutes later they make a questionable call against the Canes.

I don’t know, starting not to like this trend towards TV money markets, NY Rangers win the lotto, Boston getting the calls, where’s my tinfoil?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 08/12/20 at 04:36 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

You two.said it all! ^↑^^^^  I still cannot believe the Boohens were.given a Powerplaye

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 08/12/20 at 06:09 PM ET

League is corrupt when it comes to the Bruins.

This is like the one conspiracy theory I actually believe.

The pattern is just insane.

And it’s odd how the fans of every other team notice
the same thing about this one team and keep bringing it up.
It’s not like sour grapes from one or two rivals.

Not surprising the league would throw the book at Brind’Amour
and hold more heavy punishment in the balance.
Thou shalt not challenge the NHL favoritism toward the Bruins.
I’m glad he didn’t hold back though. One of more likable coaches
in the league.

Posted by lefty.30 on 08/12/20 at 06:55 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

That is horrible. All the refs and the “idiots in Toronto” that do the video reviews should be fired. You can’t make blatant mistakes like that. I demand an explanation or I am not watching the rest of the season. Rod had every right to be pissed. The fine should be given to the refs and video officials that did that game.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 08/12/20 at 10:43 PM ET

It’s Jeremy Jacobs.  He’s got the midget commish dry humping his leg and teasing him with a spoonful of peanut butter and a whole bunch-a, “That’s my good boy, Gary.  Who’s a good boy, Gary?  You a good boy, Gary?  Yes, you a good boy, Gary.”

Yeck, I got nauseous typing that out.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/13/20 at 12:29 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Okay, I’ll give the one different opinion, which is not much of an opinion, BUUUUTTTT….

If you look at the video around 1:48/1:49 you can’t tell who touched the puck - it could have been the Cane’s #74.  It also is hard to say if it’s touched by a glove, a stick, or a unicorn.

Maybe it’s just low-def enough for me not to be able to see it here on my computer, but I don’t see enough evidence that it’s a hand pass by the Broons.  As much as I hate them, I don’t think I would have ruled this a hand pass given what I can see here.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/13/20 at 09:45 AM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by TreKronor

From what I saw during intermission coverage on SN, Brind’Amour said that the refs wouldn’t tell him whether they waved off the goal for a hand pass or goalie interference for using a stick to get it out of Razer’s glove. So he challenged on the hand pass. He’s absolutely right that it was either a hand pass, since it went from a Bruins glove to a Bruins stick without being touched by a Cane, OR Mrazek touched it, in which case it was covered, and a Bruins stick knocked it out of his glove to the goal scorer. It’s a BS call either way, and he never even got an explanation as to how it wasn’t one or the other. Probably bkz they didn’t have one.

Posted by Steeb on 08/13/20 at 12:01 PM ET