Riley Cote Has Turned To Psychedelic Drugs

from Steve Volk of Rolling Stone,

Riley Cote’s journey to enlightenment began in earnest when a hulking man punched him in the face. Cote, now 40 and retired from professional hockey, remembers the moment with a dark laugh. He’d gotten into this particular bust-up one night during the 2009 season with one of the NHL’s most vicious fighters, and took the worst of it, waking the next day with his left eye blackened shut.

“What,” he asked himself, “am I doing?”

He drove to the Philadelphia Flyers training facility and got into the shower. Feeling congested, he reached for a tissue. He didn’t realize he’d suffered a cracked sinus, so what happened next was physics. When he blew his nose, the air — rather than coming out of his nostrils — inflated his face. The pressure surged instantly behind his good eye and closed it tight....

After eight years in pro hockey (four in the NHL, four hopping around its minor-league teams), Cote felt his retirement bearing down. As an NHL “enforcer” — a player whose main role is to get into fights — he’d taken countless hits on the ice. Off it, he self-medicated with booze and drugs. He’d brutalized his body inside and out by the tender age of 28. “I damaged my brain,” Cote says. “Punching it and dehydrating it and partying my ass off.”

Today, Cote is a new man, with a mane of long brown hair, a yoga-trimmed physique, and an aura of ease in his own skin. It is a transformation he credits largely to psychedelic drugs.

read on

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

It’s all a little far out for me, but I can understand why guys are doing this.  I remember, years and years ago, watching a documentary about a guy who suffered from horrible migraines every day.  I don’t remember if they mentioned the cause, maybe it was from a concussion.

Anyways, I remember it really well, every three months he would trip out on mushrooms and it would basically make him “healed” for about three months.  He said he absolutely dreaded the night he would take the mushrooms because it had such an impact on him, but one rough night was better than 3 months of horrible headaches.

I don’t know that science behind any of this, and reading that article all I can wonder is - is this healing or masking issues.  They talk about the scans showing improvements in the brains, so it would appear there are some healing qualities.  It does not appear these are causing harm, either.

Interesting stuff and it is interesting to see how this is being used by athletes across the board.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/22/22 at 01:59 PM ET

it is interesting to see how this is being used by athletes across the board.

I figure the point of the article is that athletes *don’t* use this across the board. It’s newsworthy that there *is* someone from the pro sports world who is doing it.

Posted by GMoney on 06/22/22 at 02:03 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Oh hey Garth, funny to see you back here after your ban.

Being as how I have only witnessed you add a valuable comment two times, and every other comment has been nitpicking needlessly on things that weren’t implied or stated, I’m going to go ahead and block you.  Just wanted to let you know so you have to waste your time trying to trying to negatively dissect my comments anymore.

Carry on.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/22/22 at 02:07 PM ET

My wife used to work in a Dr’s office. They had a patient who was standing on a sidewalk, and got hit in the melon by a truck with extended mirrors. The only thing that gave the guy any peace was marijuana. He would be waiting outside the office the day before his prescription ran out because it was his only hope in life.
That was the first time I believed it helped, and there have been many more since.

Posted by pnwwing on 06/22/22 at 02:26 PM ET

calquake's avatar

The real tragedy is that cannabis has been listed as a Schedule 1 drug by government. So no long term studies were done on it’s effects (good or bad). It’s not the 30’s (when it was made illegal) anymore. Remember Reefer Madness? Hell, it’s not even the 80’s when Just Say No was a thing. Time to study effects of mind altering drugs to determine whether they can help those who may need it.

Oops, I just fell off my soapbox. Damn you marijuana.  smile

Posted by calquake from Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst on 06/22/22 at 03:27 PM ET

Thank goodness serious studies are now taking place. When compared against the side effects, long-term health issues and costs of your typical pharmaceutical, marijuana and “magic” mushrooms come out way ahead.

Keep in mind that many of the illegal “street” drugs were actually developed for clinical reasons and many are great tools in the right hands. We shouldn’t let political reasons prevent further research on those drugs.

Take a look at some of the results of ayahuasca use for treating opioid addiction and you’ll realize why we shouldn’t judge a drug without research.

PTSD is another problem that has seen a lot of positive results when treated with “magic” mushrooms.

Posted by evileye on 06/22/22 at 04:49 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

Posted by evileye

At the risk of getting too deep into the political weeds, the pharmaceutical companies don’t want psylocibin and cannabis (and peyote and ayahusca, etc etc) studied for therapeutic uses is bkz A> they work, and B> they’re plant based, and therefore can’t be trademarked patented or whatever. If people could grow their own medicine at home, big pharma would lose everything.

Not to say any of those plants are panaceas or anything of the sort. But big pharma are the big reason it’s illegal to even study that stuff.

Posted by Steeb on 06/22/22 at 09:02 PM ET

Agreed

Posted by evileye on 06/22/22 at 09:44 PM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 06/22/22 at 02:07 PM ET

Well, I apologize for…offending you, I guess.  So sorry.

Posted by GMoney on 06/23/22 at 10:14 AM ET