Right Here Is Part Of The Problem

Someone tell me why Ovechkin would even discuss this outside of the dressing room?

from Stephen Whyno of the Washington Times,

Alex Ovechkin, who has zero goals in his past three games since recording a hat trick, wants to puck and he wants it in the neutral zone. Even more so, he’s asked center Mike Ribeiro for it.

“Of course I want more pucks on my stick, especially in neutral zone,” the Washington Capitals captain said Monday. “I talk to Ribs all the time about it like if I have speed, just give it to me. It doesn’t matter if I’m going to stay with the D because I’m going to beat them.”

Ovechkin has played on a line with Ribeiro for the past 13 games, over a month now. The two have developed chemistry, even if Ovechkin has just eight goals this season.

Asked about Ovechkin wanting the puck to carry into the offensive zone, Ribeiro said it’s dependent on break-outs.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alex+ovechkin

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

When your owner is Ted Leonsis, it’s not hard to believe Paul.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/04/13 at 06:10 PM ET

He’s cooked.  Wonder what happened?  He was up there with Crosby, now?  Hate to agree with Milbury but he’s a bad t eammate.

Posted by 13 user names on 03/04/13 at 06:44 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Lack of Steroids !

Posted by Evilpens on 03/04/13 at 07:00 PM ET

Ammo for Master Chief.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 03/04/13 at 07:15 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

ugh, don’t even mention that shit SYF.  We see how “uncoachable” Tatar is and what he gets for his production.  Ovi on a Babcock team is sure to be doomed, DOOMED.

Besides, from the sounds of it, he and Pav have too different of a game to be good together.  They both want the puck.

Ovi:“If you see me in the neutral zone, give me the puck”

Pav:“When we get in the offensive zone, get open”

Ovi:“I don’t understand”

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/04/13 at 07:49 PM ET

Just throwing shit up there, HTO.  The 8-13-11 is breaking my heart.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 03/04/13 at 07:52 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

The 8-13-11 is breaking my heart.

Posted by SYF from Hutt Funkins on 03/04/13 at 06:52 PM ET

Preach brother.  Perfection and I are going round and round about it.  I just don’t get it.  I’ve concluded that Pav hates Tatar and blackballed him from his line.  And he’s tired of Swedes too.  That’s why Z gets Brunner AND Franzen.  Of course Babs isn’t going to split Z and Brunner, but this explains why Z gets both of the only snipers in our top 6.  It’s also why Samuelsson broke his finger.  Pavel hates Tatar and Swedes.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/04/13 at 08:15 PM ET

Dangles and Nike.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 03/04/13 at 09:00 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Good point SYF, that’s also why they haven’t recalled Gus.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/04/13 at 09:00 PM ET

Ho boy.

Coach wants a particular entrance, Ovechkin bugging his linemates to do something different.

What Oates wants—OV to be the forward who streaks in and tries to put a hit on the D going back to retrieve the puck—is a sound idea that would create a lot of zone possession, but that’s beside the point.

OV seems oblivious not only to what the coach is actually asking him to do, but why. He’s trying to talk Ribeiro into ignoring the coach and making a play that OV should damned well know hasn’t been there for at least two years.

Who’d have thought Ribeiro, of all people, would come off as the coachable player in a situation like this?

Posted by larry on 03/05/13 at 01:22 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Maybe the Caps should dig up Sean Avery’s career and stick him on a line with Ovechkin and Ribeiro. It would be the least functional trio in history.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/05/13 at 09:38 AM ET