Retire #7 In Chicago?

from Tim Sassone of Between The Circles at the Chicago Daily-Herald,

Chelios was a dominant Hawk from 1990-99. While those teams never won a Stanley Cup, they were powerhouse clubs with Chelios the nasty backbone. He won two Norris Trophies during his time in Chicago and rarely lost battles.

Certainly the Hawks will honor Chelios at some point with a Heritage Night, but the bigger question is should his No. 7 be retired and hung from the rafters?

I get the feeling this is going to be a split decision with fans.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: chris+chelios

Comments

edillac's avatar

so I guess that Chicago thinks that Red Wings will retire Chelioses jersey ,
or what

Posted by edillac from isolation on 09/08/10 at 03:32 PM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

As much as I like him, I can’t see him having his number retired in Det.  He was a great player, but he wasn’t an Yzerman/Howe/Sawchuck for the Wings.  He was for the league though.

Tough, because he was a player that deserves to have his number retired and some honor bestowed upon him, but he played with three teams (not including ATL), all original six teams, all for a significant amount of time.

How do you honor a player like that?

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 09/08/10 at 03:43 PM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

Detroit won’t retire Cheli’s number and I think CHI should drop this idea or risk looking like Colorado.  After all, Cheli picked the Wings front office over Chicago’s.  That should tell you HIS mindset.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 09/08/10 at 04:17 PM ET

edillac's avatar

yeah,I meant that Chi just wanted to stick it to the RW,or copy them,god knows they arent original

Posted by edillac from isolation on 09/08/10 at 04:50 PM ET

Um… where in that article does it say that Chicago thinks Detroit should retire his number along with them? Actually it doesn’t even say anything about definitely retiring his number period, let alone who else should.  I’ve read it three times now, and I’m not seeing that anywhere.

Even the comments are just discussing whether or not they should retire his number for his time with Chicago.  I’m very confused and thinking I missed some context here…

Posted by CrackDealer from Pittsburgh, PA on 09/08/10 at 04:51 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

DET already retired #7. ; )

I see DET retiring #5, but not #24. It would make sense for Chicago to go ahead and enshrine Cheli, even though he played less than half his career in the town. God knows they have the rafter space for it. They might be A LITTLE like Colorado in doing so, but lets not forget that Cheli is from Chicago and feels a closeness to the city. If Mikey Mo played in Detroit for 10 years in the middle of a hall of fame career (and if the ceiling had little dangling from it other than Turco’s jock straps), I could see a similar question here.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/08/10 at 04:56 PM ET

Ah ha!  And now I feel foolish!  LOL
I figured I was missing the joke or something…

Posted by CrackDealer from Pittsburgh, PA on 09/08/10 at 05:01 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I don’t like the Blackhawks enough to have a good opinion on this one way or another, but that’s never stopped a hockey fan from spouting one off anyway, right?  tongue wink

I say the Hawks should retire Cheli’s jersey for what he did for their team, not because he was a great player who also played elsewhere.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/08/10 at 05:07 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

not because he was a great player who also played elsewhere.

AKA - the colorado criteria

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/08/10 at 05:16 PM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

AKA - the colorado criteria

Bam, right on the head.  I’m sure Dater thinks that it should be done.

LOL

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 09/08/10 at 05:20 PM ET

Considering he was raised in Chicago and became a star there, while having many good seasons would be a consideration. The fact he had his best seasons in Detroit and won cups there is the major reason not to retire his number.  As for leaving Chicago because of Dollar Bill Wirtz doesn’t reflect on what is going on today. Kind of like saying Gordie Howe’s number shouldn’t be retired because he played for Bruce Norris who ran the team into the ground and him off to the WHA. Or Ted Lindsay who was traded away. Funny how so many forget what happened in Detroit from 1955 to 1982. Believe me Chicago Fans know what happened in Detroit during that period. NOTHING!

Posted by timbits on 09/09/10 at 12:50 AM ET

Chelios had his best personal statistical seasons in CHI but won his Cups in MTL and DET.

In CHI, Chelios said, “I hate that team in Detroit.”

In DET, Chelios said, “I can’t thank Detroit enough for giving my career a second wind and another Cup.”

I got nothing memorable for MTL right now other than his beatdown by Ron Hextall of the Flyers.

No.  I don’t believe the Wings will retire #24 for Chelios.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 09/12/10 at 09:46 PM ET