Responding To The Rants

Pierre LeBrun of ESPN answers some of the rants from NHL fans,

I am so SICK of people hating on Crosby. They say he isn’t tough. News flash: Concussions have nothing to do with toughness or skill. Also, most of the people questioning Sid’s toughness are ones that have never put on a pair of skates. They say he’s a crybaby and he gets too much attention. He himself said that he was sick of cameras coming to his stall every day after practice. He’s the best player in the world, so he will get some attention whether he, or other people like it.

My take (LeBrun): Well said. I’m pretty tired myself of all the Crosby haters. If they got to know the kid like some of us have had the chance over the past several years, they’d have a different impression of him. I can guarantee it. It’s why he’s won the admiration of the likes of Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr et al because of his all-world skill but also just as important because of his work ethic and the way he respects the game. Enough said.

more topics…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: sidney+crosby

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

OH BOY!! this thread will not end well

Posted by Evilpens on 12/20/11 at 03:29 PM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

I’m sick of hearing about Crosby, too, but I realize that it’s the media who is responsible, not Crosby.  I’m always amused when a major media outlet creates a problem like this then points out that it exists (ESPN was very guilty of this during the LeBron free agent fiasco).

Posted by Savage Henry on 12/20/11 at 03:44 PM ET

Nothing against Crosby, right now he is the best player in the world, no question about that.  All of the hatred towards him is just backlash against the NHL’s one track marketing strategy of all Crosby, all the time.  Even the most diehard rational Pen fan would probably agree that its a little bit over the top.  The NHL should market Crosby but they should also market other players as well.  Gretzky and Lindros were way more dominant in their primes but the NHL didn’t push them half as hard as Crosby.  The league needs to stop putting all of their eggs in the Crosby basket and also market the other great players in the league.

Posted by Chris A. on 12/20/11 at 03:49 PM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

Or market the game and leave it for individual teams to promote themselves and their players.  I’ve never bought a ticket to see one individual player play.

Posted by Savage Henry on 12/20/11 at 04:04 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Eh, I’m tired of the talk about the talk about the coverage about the talk about Crosby.  Here’s where I’m curious:

Sure, I believe this. Get to know any human better than the hype which surrounds him and you get to use the “well you don’t know him like I know him.”

I want to know which players LeBrun has gotten to know over the years who are bigger jerks than their public persona lets on.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/20/11 at 04:18 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Its pretty stupid to question Crosby’s toughness, I think it speaks for itself, no matter what you think about him otherwise.  I’ve stated my problems with his game and I won’t belabor the point here.  Most of the criticism he takes is undeserved and for things that aren’t his fault.  I think its unfortunate that the league’s fawning marketing strategy has jaded so many people towards him, and I think the league’s off-ice treatment of Crosby has at least a little bit to do with his concussion situation.

As far as LeBrun goes…. he can shove it for blaming the problem on the haters.  The media is a big reason why so many people are disgusted with Crosby in the first place.  Its too bad for Sid and too bad for the fans that it had to be this way.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 12/20/11 at 04:39 PM ET

What is that saying about no chance for a second first impression?

His first impression sucked. Big time.

Posted by Red Winger from work on 12/20/11 at 04:52 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Who?

Posted by Primis on 12/20/11 at 05:29 PM ET

Time for a Crosby heel turn…HH style. Anyway as a pens fan im sick of the coverage of Sid as well, but what people write articles about it out of my control. I dont get worked up about it.

Posted by JT from Pittsburgh on 12/20/11 at 05:45 PM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

Posted by Savage Henry on 12/20/11 at 12:44 PM ET

Agreed.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 12/20/11 at 11:00 PM ET

They say he’s a crybaby

Nothing against his skill, or his passion, but he is completely unlikable! So to have him thrown in your face all the time, listening to his finger nails on the chalk board voice, whining about whatever the latest issue, is too much!

Posted by timbits on 12/21/11 at 04:07 AM ET