Report- Wings Interested In Nabokov

via Darren Dreger tweet,

Red Wings in discussions with veteran goaltender, Evgeni Nabokov. Deal today? Will have to clear waivers if it gets done.

added 1:08pm, via John Shannon tweet,

Nabokov’s people talking to DRW… Challenge is to construct a contract that will dissuade others from claiming the goaltender on waivers.

added 1:11pm, another tweet from Shannon,

Holland/Meehan are experts at creativity… One consideration is a “no move clause” that forces a claiming team to keep Nabokov long term.

added 1:43pm, via Ansar Khan of Mlive,

“We’ve had conversations,” Holland said. “It’s hard to know (if they’re close). We’ll see.”

Asked about what has prompted the Detroit’s interest in Nabokov, Holland said, “Those are more questions for if something does happen – can’t put the cart before the horse.”

The Red Wings apparently are looking for some insurance following Chris Osgood’s surgery on Jan. 11 to repair a sports hernia. Holland said Osgood is on schedule to return in early- to mid-March.

added 2:21pm, A guy named Malik takes over from here.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: evgeni+nabokov

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

redxblack's avatar

Maybe the Blues can grab him off waivers? ha.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/20/11 at 03:15 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Dear god.
REALLY? Please no.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/20/11 at 03:26 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Does this tell us more about the prognosis of Ozzie?

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/20/11 at 03:27 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

I don’t see any way he makes it thru waivers. It’s not like he’s supplanting Howard, so why not have him as a backup?

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 01/20/11 at 03:28 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Both Osgood and Howard are UFAs at the end of the season.

Wouldn’t be surprised if this offer is for more than one year.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/20/11 at 03:29 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

As far as osgood’s prognosis, it’s probably not a good thing that this diagram fell out of the trainer’s pocket.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/20/11 at 03:31 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

It’s not like he’s supplanting Howard, so why not have him as a backup?
Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 01/20/11 at 12:28 PM ET

Cause he sucks? He was a Wing bitch, be like putting Turco ‘tween the pipes in a Winged Wheel IMO.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/20/11 at 03:41 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

I thought Nabby looked pretty good ousting the Wings in last year’s playoff (much to my and pretty much everybody on this site’s chagrin)

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 01/20/11 at 03:49 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

Well at least everybody on A2Y that is…

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 01/20/11 at 03:51 PM ET

Don’t do it, Tick Tock.  That guy is NOT a big-game player.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/20/11 at 03:54 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Don’t do it, Tick Tock.  That guy is NOT a big-game player.

What about a backup? He ain’t stealing nobody’s job.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 01/20/11 at 03:57 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

What about a backup? He ain’t stealing nobody’s job.

Exactly. If it boils down to Nabby or MacDonald, do you nay-sayers still feel the same?

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 01/20/11 at 04:03 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Not suprised Kenny is looking around. The wings are in a position to take a shot at another cup, and you can’t go into the stretch run/playoffs with a dinged up ozzie as your backup. If ozzie isn’t 100%, you are left with joey Mac and crossed fingers that Jimmy stays healthy. Look I’m not certain Nabakov is the best , or only option, but I’m sure glad Kenny is at least looking.

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/20/11 at 04:05 PM ET

Zaze's avatar

Somehow I’m not upset about this.. Given the injuries.

Posted by Zaze on 01/20/11 at 04:07 PM ET

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/20/11 at 01:05 PM ET

That’s at least reassuring to know.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/20/11 at 04:12 PM ET

Zaze's avatar

So wings have 3.5 mil cap space available right now because of LTIR.  What’s everyones guess on the contract?  2 year, no trade clause, 1.5 /yr?

Posted by Zaze on 01/20/11 at 04:17 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

Of the top 8 teams in each conference it looks like every team is already set for Goaltending now that TB traded for Roli. Who would put a claim in for Nabby? NYI maybe..

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 01/20/11 at 04:24 PM ET

scottytooshotty's avatar

With solid goaltending this team goes all the way.  I know that we are at the cap limit, but would anyone trade a Tatar and say Hudler for a good goalie?  Its not a pleasant thought as we seem to be more about developing our talent these days,  but we have a legitimate shot this year. With TPHs number possibly being hung in the rafters of the Joe at some point this year, can we pass it up?

Posted by scottytooshotty on 01/20/11 at 04:26 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

but would anyone trade a Tatar and say Hudler for a good goalie?

Tatar? No
Hudler? Can I get a 3rd round pick for him?

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 01/20/11 at 04:30 PM ET

I’m calling shenanigans on this. Guy was a playoff bust, year after year. Even if Osgood is not gonna make it back for the playoffs, he can find other options. Besides, there is no way Holland offers him more than Osgood’s average salary, and any special no-movement clauses would be no impediment to a team picking him up off waivers.

Plus, I don’t think the $3.5 million will be realized - that’s the max possible I believe, if everyone on it now stays on it the rest of the year.  But don’t you think Holland would rather get a more experienced defensive-forward with that money, or a more consistent 2nd-3rd line scorer?

Posted by CJBear71 on 01/20/11 at 04:30 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Who would put a claim in for Nabby?

Anyone who doesn’t want the Wings to be as strong as they already are. So 29 other teams.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/20/11 at 04:32 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

What’s everyones guess on the contract?

My guess is he gets a deal for this year( whats left of it) for $750,000. Beyond that, who knows, but I would be shocked if the deal was for more than 1 year and even more shocked if it contained a no trade clause.

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/20/11 at 04:32 PM ET

detroitdan1982's avatar

If this falls through, would it be worth seeing what the Leafs want for Giggy? He’s got a lot of playoff experience and he’d only need to play backup to Jimmy. Maybe trade Hudler for him? The Leafs don’t seem to care about taking on salary.

Posted by detroitdan1982 from St. John's, NL on 01/20/11 at 04:33 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar
HudlerCan I get a 3rd round pick for him

I’ll take an order of curly fries.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/20/11 at 04:33 PM ET

detroitdan1982's avatar

I also wrote my previous comment without checking out Giguere’s cap hit, I’m not sure what it is or if it would even fit. Although if the trade was for Hudler, maybe that would be enough.

Posted by detroitdan1982 from St. John's, NL on 01/20/11 at 04:34 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

would it be worth seeing what the Leafs want for Giggy?

I think the better option would be arrange for Leighton to pass through re-entry back to PHI, and acquire him instead.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/20/11 at 04:35 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/20/11 at 01:35 PM ET

That’s some good creative thinking. You got a little Tick-Tock in ya

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 01/20/11 at 04:38 PM ET

Tuba Guy's avatar

Nabby will pass through waivers.  Any team that wanted him would have already signed him.

Posted by Tuba Guy from Royal Oak, MI on 01/20/11 at 04:41 PM ET

Paul's avatar

If you are following, added some talk from Holland, who basically says nothing.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/20/11 at 04:45 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I also wrote my previous comment without checking out Giguere’s cap hit

Cap geek shows giguere’s salary this season as $6 mil.  he is a UFA at seasons end.

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/20/11 at 04:47 PM ET

detroitdan1982's avatar

That IS some good thinking. I like it. The next couple of days will be interesting to say the least.

Posted by detroitdan1982 from St. John's, NL on 01/20/11 at 04:49 PM ET

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/20/11 at 01:35 PM ET

This.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/20/11 at 04:56 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Yes, Ansar, what has prompted the Detroit’s interest?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/20/11 at 05:01 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

If you are following, added some talk from Holland, who basically says nothing.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/20/11 at 01:45 PM ET

Yet Osgood is supposedly on track for March.

Ken…you’re a lying liar.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/20/11 at 05:09 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

A couple thoughts…

Why would you say no to this? Osgood is out at least another six weeks, MacDonald showed the other night with his leaky five hole and (lack of) puck-handling skills that he’s not a legitimate NHL keeper, and strictly on depth, now that McCollum has a broken had the Wings need to add another goalie to the system.

Jimmy Howard is your starter, unless he gets hurt or they do strike a deal with Nabokov, he gets through waivers, and in his starts he plays like a man on fire.

And while I don’t think Nabokov is money goalie, here’s some food for thought. Look at the Sharks this season. Perhaps the fact is that as an organization the Sharks have had an issue building a team that can win it all. A team isn’t as simple as the sum of its parts. I’d take any one of Marleau, Boyle, Heatley, and Thornton on my team and wouldn’t think twice about it. But I might skip taking more than one, because clearly the sum of those players ends up lower than their individual abilities in some bizarre fashion.

Sure, there are some guys in history that have been great, money players in the post-season, and there have been some guys that are the opposite of it. But isn’t it funny how sometimes a player that was once with a snake-bitten club moves to a good club, and suddenly his playoff performances get better? Marian Hossa is a recent example that comes to mind.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/20/11 at 05:13 PM ET

Neznarf's avatar

see no issue in having this guy back up howie.

Posted by Neznarf on 01/20/11 at 05:18 PM ET

calquake's avatar

If the numbers are right I’ll take Nabokov as a back-up to Jimmy.  Goaltenders get too much credit when their team wins (Luongo (sp), Niemi, MAF) and far too much blame when they lose (Voukoun, Ozzie, Roloson).  If it helps the team Tick -Tock, do it.

Posted by calquake on 01/20/11 at 05:19 PM ET

Politely disagree with the Nabokov hate. He was never, ever the problem in San Jose. He played his ass off in the playoffs—and made some of the best big-time saves I’ve ever seen in that matchup against Dallas in 2008-2009.

The Sharks’ lazy forwards and mediocre defense let him down year after year. He’d look great as a Red Wing.

It’s all moot, though, because unless his deal is Cristobal Huet bad, there’s no way he’s clearing.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 01/20/11 at 05:19 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Why would you say no to this?

Oh I agree. I’d actually love to have Nabokov on the Wings. I just think some other team will snag him on re-entry waivers.  If Holland can work something out that gets him to Detroit, I’m all for it.  And if anyone can, its Holland.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 01/20/11 at 05:20 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I’ve turned this over to a guy named Malik!  Read it here.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/20/11 at 05:20 PM ET