Report- Niemi Signing With Sharks

from Nick Kypreos tweet,

West coast source has confirmed Antti Niemi will sign with the Sharks as early as tomorrow. I hear 2M base, possibly for just the 1 year.

added 3:52pm, via Craig Custance tweet,

Got confirmation from a league source that Antti Niemi is headed to San Jose. Will accept 1-year, $2 million offer.

Filed in: NHL Teams, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: antti+niemi

Comments

pomthillips's avatar

Maybe that Hjalmarson offer sheet was even more calculated than I thought…

Posted by pomthillips from Ann Arbor, Michigan on 09/01/10 at 05:28 PM ET

perfection's avatar

of course it was! i think doug wilson would have been happy with either Hjalmarson or Niemi. either make his team better, both make one of his closest rivals worse. it was really a savvy offer sheet.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/01/10 at 05:34 PM ET

Reggie Dunlop's avatar

If its true this makes no sense and contradicts everything Doug Wilson has said this summer.

Posted by Reggie Dunlop on 09/01/10 at 05:42 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Reggie Dunlop on 09/01/10 at 03:42 PM ET

You haven’t followed the Sharks or Wilson much, have you?

Posted by Primis on 09/01/10 at 05:44 PM ET

Russian Rocket's avatar

So they replaced Nabakovs 5.3 Mil cap hit with Niittymaki at 2 Mil, Niemi at 2 Mil, and Greiss at .550.  I think that is a solid move that opens up the door to trade one at the deadline if one of them can take a solid hold on the starting job.  Also allows Greiss more time if he happens to not be ready for a full time NHL job yet.

Posted by Russian Rocket on 09/01/10 at 05:54 PM ET

But…but I thought that the Sharks where happy with Nittymaki as their starter.

Ohhhhhhh, right, I get the joke now!  Nittymaki as the starter…

Good one, guys!

Posted by Garth on 09/01/10 at 06:11 PM ET

Leafsfan 4life's avatar

This is hilarious. I knew the Sharks were going to sign him. Is Niemi now recognized as a great goalie? I know he helped the Hawks win the cup but he had a fantastic team in front of him. Prior to the playoffs he was still competing with Huet.

Lets rewind time to the trade deadline of last season. Most people were surprised that Chicago didnt trade for a goalie during the deadline. Sure he played good during the playoffs but I still think he has to prove himself. Again, he had a great team in front of him. You have to think that Chicago decided against his arbitration amount for a reason. If was really that important to the team they would have excepted that sum of money.

If you are not a fan of the Sharks you should be happy with this move. I remember thinking that San Jose was in the market for a great goalie without a great option. This summer wasnt exactly the best summer for goalie free agency. Still I know San Jose didnt have many options but choosing Niemi was not the best solution in my opinion.

They would have been better off sticking with Nabokov. Loosing a couple of players along with a new net minder, the Sharks have certainly taken a step back this summer. These are tough times for Shark fans.

Posted by Leafsfan 4life from North America on 09/01/10 at 07:55 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

lmao garth

Poor Nitty.. he was probably all jazzed up to be the starter of the Sharks.  Even if I don’t like them, and they are redolent choke artists in the playoffs they are still a damn good team and you can’t deny it.  He was probably all pumped up thinking he had a chance to shine and compete and be El Muchacho… now imagine how he feels…

I hope he gets a chance with another team and goes balls to the wall with it.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/01/10 at 08:02 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Leafsfan 4life from North America on 09/01/10 at 05:55 PM ET

Agree with most of your points. Since when is Niemi a top NHL goalie? Did I miss something? Not saying he won’t become one, but the fact is, his body of NHL work is very small, and his stature among NHL goaltenders is still a work in progress.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/02/10 at 10:47 AM ET