Report- Lidstrom Returning

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

A source told Booth Newspapers on Monday that Lidstrom has decided to return for another season. The club is expected to finalize a one-year contract extension this week with the six-time Norris Trophy winner as the league’s top defenseman.

added 10:30am, from Chris McCosky of the Detroit News,

Wings officials will announce later today Lidstrom has agreed to a one-year deal. The exact amount was unknown, but it is believed to be near $6 million.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nick+lidstrom

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

1/2 hungover and read that with one eye open as “Lidstom Reitiring”.
Ok, both eyes are open now. Whew.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/01/10 at 10:53 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Be still heart…

It’s only one year…but it’s better than no TPH at all.

Here’s your motivation, Wings. Win it all for Number 5.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/01/10 at 11:12 AM ET

edillac's avatar

Posted by MOWingsfan19 on 06/01/10 at 08:53 AM ET

lol,I am in a hurry to work,did the same thing

1 year? damn,hoped for 2

Posted by edillac from isolation on 06/01/10 at 11:32 AM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Hopefully, the length is based on a “taking it one year at a a time” rather than “one and done” philosophy.

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 06/01/10 at 12:11 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Praise Jeebus!

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 06/01/10 at 12:36 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Somebody correct my math if I’m off on anything:

The cap hit will be ~49m after this deal and Hudler hits are factored in.

The team will have ~9m to sign:
Homer (~2.5m)
Bert (~1.5m)
Eaves (~800k)
Miller (~800k)
Helm (~800k)
Abdelkader (~800k)
Somebody to take Williams spot (?)

Lilja (~1m)
Kindl (~800k)

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/01/10 at 12:47 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/01/10 at 10:47 AM ET

I think your numbers are pretty close, Leo and I like that every number that’s not a question mark equals that 9m in room it seems Detroit will have.

The good news is that Hudler counts as that somebody to take Williams’ spot, so we can throw that question mark out of there.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/01/10 at 01:04 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Matt Ritola will be up next year. I don’t know how much he makes, but he’s ineligible to sit in the AHL any longer.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/01/10 at 01:36 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Right on, JJ.  Totally missed that obvious notion.

Will Hudler being manning the point on the second PP unit?

It seems like they still need another right handed shot up top.  Then again, others around the NHL seem to manage just fine without it so who knows.  I guess I’d prefer to see a roster have that versus not.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/01/10 at 01:38 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’d actually like to see Datsyuk manning a point on the power play next season while Hudler plays on the side boards.

Pavel doesn’t have a booming shot, but he’s capable of getting it by goalies from up there and his vision and slippery behavior, I could see him causing havoc for the PKing forwards trying to cover him, leading to a lot of odd-man overload situations down low.

Another option is to pray that Jonathan Ericsson just went through a sophomore slump and he’ll be capable of playing the point.  He’s not a righty, but he actually can boom it from the point.  I just worry about shorthanded breakaways in that situation.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/01/10 at 01:45 PM ET

I guess I’d prefer to see a roster have that versus not.

Well, to me it depends on who you can get.  If Williams was the best we could do last year for a right-handed shot, I’ll take Hudler in a heartbeat.

Add in Ritola and Kindl, who will likely be on the squad, and you’ve got about $8M for 7 spots which would be Homer, Eaves, Helm, Miller, Abdelkader and probably Bertuzzi, plus either Meech or Lilja.  Lilja preferably, unless he somehow has it in his mind that he should get a raise…

Posted by Garth on 06/01/10 at 01:46 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I’d really like to see Ericsson or Kindl on the PP2 unit.  Give them ice time, confidence, and let the two of them utilize the offensive game that is supposedly their strength.  E, in particular, has had a rocket of a shot from the blue line.  Kindl is a bit more of a mystery to me, I’ve just not seen enough of him in action.

I’ll be sad to see Lilja potentially gone.  The wings need a couple more stay at home defenseman more than they need offensive-minded guys right now.  It’s a bit galling to see Lidstrom- still a top 3 offensive d-man in the league- take a back seat on that role because no one outside of he and Stuart are top notch defensively and I feel like that will only get worse the more you see Kindl, Meech and E in the game.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/01/10 at 01:48 PM ET