Report- Gagne Traded To Tampa

via Frank Seravalli tweet,

Flyers source confirms Simon Gagne has indeed been traded to Tampa Bay. Waiting to hear on the return.

added 2:34pm, via another Seravalli tweet,

Done deal: defenseman Matt Walker and a 4th round pick come back for Simon Gagne.

added 3:00pm, from Eric Duhatschek of the Globe and Mail,

After a quiet week of little action on the NHL front, teams leapt back into the fray Monday, with the Philadelphia Flyers mitigating their salary-cap woes by sending Simon Gagne to the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for defenceman Matt Walker and a fourth-round pick.

In the 30-year-old Gagne, the Lightning receive a proven goal-scorer that will help fast-track their rebuilding program launched under new general manager Steve Yzerman.

continued

added 3:57pm, from Lightning.com,

“In adding Simon to the Lightning today, we acquire a very talented player that will play along side our top forwards,” said Yzerman upon making the announcement. “With his combination of speed and skill we are excited to have him with us and grateful he was willing to waive his no movement clause. This trade not only makes us a better team in the short-term, it helps create long-term flexibility for us, which all along has been one of our top priorities.”

read on including Gagne quotes…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, Tampa Bay Lightning, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: simon+gagne, simon+gagne

Comments

Moq's avatar

Nice to see a bit of free agency resurgence after a couple of stale weeks.

I don’t think the Flyers wants a lot in return for Gagne.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 07/19/10 at 03:17 PM ET

Moq, you would think they wouldn’t have gotten a lot in return for being up against the cap and what not, but you never know.  I doubt Yzerman would give up that much though.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/19/10 at 03:24 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

So he’s doing exactly what Jimmy D told him NOT to do.

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/19/10 at 03:27 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Still a stupid move for the Flyers. They have 5 centers on the roster and neither Richards nor Carter can play the wing (at least effectively), you hope to keep the Leino-Briere-Hartnell line together and Giroux is best at center because, like Briere, he can float around and make plays.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 07/19/10 at 03:33 PM ET

Posted by phillyd from New Jersey on 07/19/10 at 02:33 PM ET

If the Flyers would have gotten a decent goalie in return, whether someone who could start now or a young player, would you have felt better about Gagne getting traded?  I don’t know what’s in the pipeline for Tampa, but I can’t seem to remember them having any stud goalies.  I agree with you and think it would have been more beneficial to shop Carter and keep Gagne.  Not that I’m mad that they traded Gagne away though haha.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/19/10 at 03:37 PM ET

Per Damien Cristodero:

Gagne, 30, is scheduled to make $5.25 million next season, a manageable number given the Lightning has about $14 million in cap space, assuming players such as Adam Hall, Johan Harju and Niklas Persson make the team. It also is no longer responsible for Walker’s contract that pays $1.625 next season and $5.525 million over the next three seasons. So, in essence, the deal adds $3.625 million to the cap for next season.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/19/10 at 03:40 PM ET

Flyers Gm trades a loyal soldier for trash. unbelievable.

Posted by FlyersFan on 07/19/10 at 03:41 PM ET

You should read the comments in that site’s Lightning links regarding all of the moves Yzerman and Boucher have done.  They’re generally enthusiastic and heady but you can tell they’re also cautiously optimistic.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/19/10 at 03:43 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

No, I think Backlund and the new guy from Russia (can’t remember his name, too lazy to look it up) are going to be better than what they have. For the D they’ve assembled, anyone could probably play net and get to the second round at least. I’ll give Reese a full training camp to fix Leighton’s five-hole problem and then hold judgement. Besides, I don’t think there are really any *stud* goalies out there, lots of potential, but the Flyers aren’t patient enough (and don’t have a team assembled willing to wait) to let them reach that potential. Halak really would’ve been the only one I would’ve gone after that was available (although I still like Nitty but see patience above). The fact they got another D-man almost makes me think there is something else brewing. That’s 8 d-men on the roster, normally you carry an extra as a healthy scratch with your 8th in the minors getting playing time.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 07/19/10 at 03:45 PM ET

Good points on the winning now.  I knew the Flyers had a couple younger guys in there as well.  For the price, Halak would have certaiinly been a nice addition.  I’m assuming Bartulis would have to go through waivers to be sent down.  I have to admit, it seems the Flyers bottom pairing is definitely improved at this point compared with last year.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/19/10 at 03:54 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Oh, there’s no doubt the D is better and yes, he would have to clear waivers to go down. He did that a few times last year but you play with fire every time. This trade and signing Carcillo after signing Shelley for that contract made no sense. Like I said, I’m happy with the D signings/trades, I’ll give Leighton the benefit of the doubt since he has some security now but man the forwards, I just don’t know what Holmgren is doing.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 07/19/10 at 03:58 PM ET

Francis at ShootShoot.net's avatar

I agree with PhillyD, this trade totally ignores one of their main issues, uncluttering their center position. It’s great to see more action in the NHL, after a quiet week (wouldn’t it be nice to hear about Kovalchuk), but I wouldn’t be surprised to see another trade before the start of the season, dishing out a center.
Good trade for Stevie Y and the Lightning though. I really hope they have a better season. They deserve it.
Shoot!Shoot!

Posted by Francis at ShootShoot.net on 07/19/10 at 04:28 PM ET

Moq's avatar

Perhaps I’m in the minority, but I don’t think it was a terrible decision to trade Gagne instead of Carter. He’s immensely talented and I see no reason why he can’t adapt to a suitable and productive role on the team. There’s age on his side. Besides, having a few extra centers adds flexibility even if they’re not capable of fulfilling a natural winger role to perfection.

I understand if Lightning fans are cautious about optimism. Gagne doesn’t turn it into an impressive roster, so there’s plenty of work to be done to instill optimism.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 07/19/10 at 05:19 PM ET

there is a difference btw gagne and carter. Gagne is a two way player carter is one way player.

Posted by FlyersFan on 07/19/10 at 05:27 PM ET

Gagne > Matt Walker, Jody Shelley, Nikolai Zherdev, and Sean O’Donnell…

If Holmgren was going to trade for a final pairing defenceman, then why pick up O’Donnell?  And if he didn’t know that would be the deal, then why trade for another defenceman unless he plans on future trades…

While I think Yzerman has won this deal - and how! - I do wonder what Stevie Y is thinking in terms of his blueline.  Yes, he unloaded two contracts worth 5.7 million combined that carried at minimum three years, but those two were of decent age and average out to decent cap hits.  Yes, he has two splendid lines with Gagne-Lecavalier-St. Louis and Downie-Stamkos-Malone, but who will support the back line?  Wishart and Lashoff?  That’s not prudent from an age perspective.  Gagne will be an UFA come July 1 provided he isn’t resigned (at cost) to a team looking to rebuild.  I’m thinking this was a lose-lose trade.

I’m still in disbelief that Lombardi didn’t make a more “rich” offer to Holmgren, one that was more of a win-win, considering the Kovalchuk news earlier in the day…

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 07/19/10 at 09:09 PM ET