Report- First Offer Sheet Of The Year

via Bob McKenzie tweet,

I am not working, but I can tell you TSN’s Gord Miller reports San Jose has signed Niklas Hjalmarsson to a four-year, $14M offer sheet.

added 1:14pm, from NHL.com,

“We feel Niklas is a top-three defenseman in the National Hockey League,” Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Wilson said. “We saw his abilities first-hand in the playoffs last season and he was an important piece of a Stanley Cup-winning team. He is a solid player that would be a good fit on our team now and in the future.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: niklas+hjalmarsson

Comments

Ok, here’s my conspiracy theory: I believe I read that Stan Bowman said Chicago would match any offer sheets signed by Hjalmarsson or Niemi.  So, San Jose signs Hjalmarsson to an offer and Chicago matches, bringing them up to the cap.  With 15 guys under contract.

Now, San Jose signed Nittymaki, who a lot of people would agree isn’t a bonafide #1.  Maybe he is, maybe he isn’t.  But now with Chicago matching the Hjalmarsson offer sheet, San Jose throws a bigger offer sheet at Niemi, in the just under $5M range (just below where the compensation would be Kessel-level) and Chicago is f*cked.  They either have to match the offer and dump a shitload more salary to put together a roster or they have to let go of the Stanley Cup-winning goalie…

Posted by Garth on 07/09/10 at 03:00 PM ET

Ok, here’s my conspiracy theory:

Its possible.  However; we will see what happens, if Chicago does indeed match the offer.  I can actually see them walking away from this one.

Chicago knew when they signed Hossa last summer that they were gunning for a cup the following year and that the next year would be cap hell.  Well they got the cup and they are now going through hell.  I will be interested to see how competitive they will be after loosing all they have so far this summer.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 07/09/10 at 03:15 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Hjalmarsson has been likened to Nicklas Lidstrom early in his career by Scotty Bowman.

If anyone else had said it, I’d scoff. But Scotty Bowman said it. So it’s probably true. And Chicago is probably going to be forced to let the Sharks have him. Ouch.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/09/10 at 03:25 PM ET

drimo's avatar

Interesting theory, Garth, but couldn’t any team throw the offer to Niemi once they are at the cap?  Not sure how it benefits the Sharks to do that other than to just weaken Chicago and the San Jose organization doesn’t seem to have the motive to do that.

Posted by drimo from Cincinnati, OH on 07/09/10 at 03:27 PM ET

The_Boondock_Sharks's avatar

Unfortunately, Niemi can’t sign an offer sheet because he’s been offered arbitration.  So it’s Hjalmarsson or nothing.

Posted by The_Boondock_Sharks on 07/09/10 at 03:34 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

He also said that about Joni Pitkanen. If they match, that’s

Jawmerson at 3.5
Niemi at 3-3.5 (?)

Ouch Indeed!

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/09/10 at 03:47 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

If they knew Hjalmarsson was that good, then they should have given him the 5 year contract instead of Kane.  Then they might still have Hjalmarsson and Versteeg.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/09/10 at 04:02 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

correct me if im wrong, but i was under the impression that a team can only be offered an offer sheet once during the offseason.  As long as they match it once, or something like that, no other team may attempt to snag a different rfa.  I don’t remember where I heard it, and I might be wrong, can anyone clarify?
So for example,  hypothetically, if ryan kesler and alex burrows were both rfa’s and one was offered an offer sheet and the canucks matched it, the other would be safe from other offer sheets.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 07/09/10 at 04:13 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by The_Boondock_Sharks on 07/09/10 at 01:34 PM ET

There you go.

As a Wings fan, I’m not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, Hjalmarsson leaving makes our division rival thinner in back, after they’ve already had to deal with watching a small handful of forwards leave. On the surface, this is good. But on the other hand, San Jose still has excellent top six forwards, and has really improved their D if Chicago doesn’t match.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/09/10 at 04:18 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Didn’t they lose Malhotra to Vancouver. Good center/face off man.  Also they could have issues in goal.  We’ll see.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/09/10 at 04:42 PM ET

edillac's avatar

lol,overpriced

Posted by edillac from isolation on 07/09/10 at 04:42 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I believe the 3 most relevant   words in your post were:

Chicago is f*cked.

Enjoy you Summer with the Cup hawk fans. grin

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/09/10 at 06:34 PM ET

Oilers Rock's avatar

not sure if they can trade his rights to some other team and get something of value in return?

Posted by Oilers Rock from Edmonton, Alberta on 07/09/10 at 06:43 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

Top 3 in the NHL, hahahaha. That is almost funnier than watching the Hawks being dismantled. Jalmerson (that’s how it sounds, that’s how I’m spellin it!) is a good young D-man and by today’s standards is worth $4 mil a season. However to call him ‘top 3’ in the league is an insult to the real top three: Lidas (ya I’m biased, big whoop wanna fight about it?!), Keith and Doughty.

How awesome would it have been to see the Hawks get torn apart and NOT have won the cup???

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 07/09/10 at 08:00 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I think he means top 3 on the team (I hope)

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/09/10 at 08:40 PM ET

cvd1's avatar

top 3 depth-chart-wise.

Posted by cvd1 from San Diego, CA on 07/09/10 at 09:19 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

That’s makes a little more sense. I blame the cannon size spliff I just puffed down for that one…...

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 07/09/10 at 10:41 PM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

I LOVE watching the Hawks get dismantled.

Has made my summer bearable.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 07/10/10 at 03:32 AM ET

Oilers Rock's avatar