Report: Canucks Fans Advised Not to Wear Team Gear in Boston

I wrote earlier about the death of civility amongst hockey fans, and this report certainly doesn’t do anything to waylay my disappointment in these playoffs.  From The Province’s White Towel:

A Global TV report from Steve Darling suggests Canucks fans are being advised not to wear Canucks gear Boston. After talking to police, security, TD Garden representatives and many Canuck fans, the report is unconfirmed by The Province. Canucks fans said they will defy Darling’s advisory and wear their jerseys anyway at the game…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: hockey+fans

Comments

Like, and like….  what a douche!  like you know…  8 minutes to pee…  he should wear a diaper if he is not taking a leak all night!

Posted by MIke on 06/08/11 at 04:12 PM ET

I think this is all just a non-story. I don’t care where you go, but especially in the SCF you had better expect some harassment.

You had best just take the cues from those around you. If you are surrounded by 15,000 Bruins fans it would be stupid to cheer the same in Boston as Vancouver.

Cheer for goals, have some good natured ribbing with those sitting closest to you who cheer for the other guys.

Posted by Lakerin250 from Kamloops on 06/08/11 at 04:29 PM ET

Why?  Everyone loves Vancouver, right?  They’re North America’s team!!!

Posted by Garth on 06/08/11 at 05:03 PM ET

Well, actually everyone does love Vancouver. Consistently top rate City in the world, most liveable etc.

However it’s becoming clearer and clearer that the other teams, particularly in Canada are becoming increasingly jealous off all Vancouver’s success the last 5 years or so.

Posted by Lakerin250 from Kamloops on 06/08/11 at 05:05 PM ET

Steve Strowbridge's avatar

My user picture for this site was taken in the Bell Centre in 2009. A regular season game. Some Habs fans made fun of me, others didn’t. I understand wanting to support your team on the road but the following seems like great advice.

Posted by Steve Strowbridge from St. John's, NL, CA on 06/08/11 at 05:18 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

What the police really wanted to say: “Grow a set!”

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/08/11 at 05:44 PM ET

Crow's avatar

Wah wah wah…Oh cry me a river.

In 98 against St. Louis, our entire Redmond Group of Wing Fans got soaked with beer after Shanny scored the game winner in OT.  Guess what?  It was the best tasting beer poured on me!  Sh*t happens…just enjoy the moment.

Posted by Crow on 06/08/11 at 05:44 PM ET

This is news?  I agree with the other posters.  If you tone it down and don’t act like a jerk you most likely won’t have problem.  But if you call attention to yourself and act like a smug obnoxious jerk you deserve what you get.  This is one of the most clueless articles ever written.Ms. McGinley you’ve got to get out more.  LOL

Posted by 13 user names on 06/08/11 at 07:21 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

5. It’s OK to flagrantly show your contempt for the home team by wearing the colors of a hated rival, as long as you’re not being obnoxious as you root for the visiting team. If you make a spectacle of yourself, all bets are off and you’ll get what you deserve. Back in the late-‘80s, I sat in the upper deck at Yankee Stadium—during a Red Sox-Yanks game, no less—wearing a Sox hat, Bruins jersey and Celtics shorts, and the Yankees fans left me alone. Why? Because I wasn’t going overboard. There’s a lesson here, and it’s not just that I had a death wish back in the late-‘80s.

—-Bill Simmons

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/08/11 at 07:36 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

“This is one of the most clueless articles ever written.Ms. McGinley you’ve got to get out more.”

Hey now, I didn’t write that report above. smile  But if such reports were true, and you were being told by a building you’re visiting that you shouldn’t wear your jersey (in any building, not just Boston) because home fans would object, that would be pretty crappy, wouldn’t it?  I’m not thinking about the jerk fans who are being obnoxious, just those wearing their team colours.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/08/11 at 07:55 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

The Blackhawks, Penguins, Red Wings, Ducks, and Hurricanes ask what this success is?

Posted by cs6687 on 06/08/11 at 08:20 PM ET

You show up in any sports town with history and emotion wearing the opponents colors, you can expect some level of harrassment. Vancouver fans showing up like some high school kids on a rooter bus expecting to be given the red carpet are idiots. You show up shouting and screaming for the other team and you will get a certain amount of crap and if you think otherwise you are a fool. If you can’t handle the crap, you should stay home and root for your team in safety. This is a non issue!!!

Posted by timbits on 06/09/11 at 02:42 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

I wouldn’t wear team colors as a visitor unless I was with a large group. Getting some level of taunting is one thing, but I don’t have any desire to wind up in the hospital because some drunk home fans decided that anyone who was a fan of the other team should “get what they deserved.”

Security in sports facilities is usually very good, but not in parking lots or surrounding areas. Too much of a risk for me to take (although I’m unusually sensitive to being stalked, so for many people this would be an overreaction, but ...#shrug)

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 06/09/11 at 06:33 AM ET