Report- Sports Betting Kiosks May Be Coming To Your NHL Arena

from Jimmy Murphy of Sports Book Review,

Imagine being at your local NHL arena and when you go up to the concessions stand there are sports gambling kiosks. You are able to go up to state of the art machines and place live and future bets, even on the game you are attending. So now when you return to your seat to watch the game, you not only have an ice-cold beer and a hotdog but a wager on the action right in front of you!

After developing a system to track in-game data by putting sensors in hockey pucks and forming a partnership with MGM last fall, the NHL plans to allow hockey fans and more specifically bettors to do all of the above at all NHL arenas in states and provinces where sports gambling is legal. T-Mobile Arena, the home fo the Vegas Golden Knights is scheduled to be the first arena where live betting kiosks will be available for fans and the hope is that other arenas will follow suit this upcoming season.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly told SBRPicks.com in an email Wednesday, that while this won’t happen on opening night of the 2019-20 season, we should still see this introduced in the NHL at some point in the upcoming season....

On Wednesday another NHL source told SBR Picks that while nothing is set in stone yet, TD Garden in Boston could be one of the first NHL arenas to follow the lead of T-Mobile Arena and that the NHL is doing everything it can to make that happen.

(Jeremy) Jacobs has been one of the biggest advocates of in-arena betting and these kiosks and while he has some hurdles to overcome with the state of Massachusetts, he is determined to make this a reality,” the source said.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

I haven’t been able to go to an NHL game at the TMA here in Vegas, yet.  But since this thing’s first gonna be in Vegas, I might actually check this out, Boss.  See how it goes.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/21/19 at 07:23 PM ET

We’re living in the Cyberpunk Future, I tell ya…

Posted by EthrDemon on 08/22/19 at 02:01 AM ET

Primis's avatar

“(Jeremy) Jacobs has been one of the biggest advocates of in-arena betting…”

If there ever was a reason to give you pause about the entire idea, this right here should do it.  If he’s pushing for it, you the fan probably shouldn;t.

Posted by Primis on 08/22/19 at 07:36 AM ET

“We view sports wagering as a great opportunity for us to engage fans and get the casual fan interested in sports in a new way,”

I really wish they’d focus on the game on the ice instead of this other nonsense. The whole kiosk idea just makes me think it’ll be yet another reason for “fans” to get out of their seat and disturb me while I try to watch the game.

Why on earth do they need kiosks anyway? Everyone interested in gambling has a cell phone.

I know it’s coming and there is little I can do to stop it. But I need to know how long until I can bet on the mascot races?

Want a really horrifying picture? Imagine more time for Eddie Olczyk as he correlates his “knowledge” or horses with hockey proposition bets. YIKES!

Posted by evileye on 08/22/19 at 09:11 AM ET

I’m perfectly happy with them doing something like this rather than changing the rules every couple years because “x” has become too prevalent.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 08/22/19 at 10:44 AM ET

I just hope these kiosks are in an isolated area of the arena concourses and have the same rigorous oversights as a normal casino gaming area (i.e. 21 and older only, must have ID, etc.).

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/22/19 at 06:01 PM ET