Neal Suspended Five Games

I will post more detaisl when available.

added 12:46pm,

added 1:09pm, Watch below as Brendan Shanahan explains the suspension...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: james+neal

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

well that’s neat. It’s about half as long as it should be.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/09/13 at 01:49 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

another meaningless suspension. Brendan Smith got 8 games for a hockey play that went bad in the preseason last year. A knee to the head of a prone player is worth 5? Good to know!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/09/13 at 01:52 PM ET

Paul's avatar

$128,205.15 in lost wages too.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/09/13 at 02:23 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Pathetic…  Clear intent to injury and he will lose only 5 games
I would bet Marchand (I think it was him beeing knee’ed) will lost more than 5 games

Now, I wonder, considering Neal and Thornton situation:
- Thornton had no priors (not sure about Neal)
- Both “plays” were made on a defenseless opponent
- Both had clear intent to injury
- Pretty sure Marchand will miss more games than Orpik, as he is already traveling with the team

And I doubt Thornton will get less than 5 games… Why, exactly?  Am I missing anything here?

Btw, not trying to be a prick here, just pure curiosity, but why does everyone cares about the amount of money forfeited, like you just posted, Paul?
I mean, he loses 5/82 of his salary, as any other player with a 5 game suspension would, right?  Aint it always proportional to the annual cap hit?
If it is, I would believe 5/82s of the annual salary would hurt the same for every player, proportinally, regardless of the ammount the infractor earned

Posted by Zqto on 12/09/13 at 02:54 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by Zqto on 12/09/13 at 01:54 PM ET

Suspension was light, would have preferred to see 8-10 games.

But, you bet wrong. Marchand was shaken up on the play, but stayed in the game and went on to play the next night in Toronto, so he’s actually okay.
And he lost $128,000 along with missing five games. No one wants to lose

Posted by SK77 on 12/09/13 at 03:02 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Sorry about that .. As for the money, still a decent chunk. I think that info is included so you know that a player isn’t just sitting out, but also losing salary.

Posted by SK77 on 12/09/13 at 03:03 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Marchand hasn’t missed any games, he played last night against the Leafs. I’m pretty sure he didn’t even miss a shift.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 12/09/13 at 03:07 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

Well, after the NHL looked the other way when Weber maliciously bashed Z’s head into the glass two years back, I would say there is zero consistency coming out of this department. Player safety be damned.

You can not purposely knee an unsuspecting opponent in the head. The level of intent and danger surrounding this play is off the charts. But Thornton will somehow end up with a much larger swat outta this one - you can see it coming.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 12/09/13 at 03:10 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Ah, my bad… It was the other guy with a concussion, than?
The one Orpik got with the shoulder, on the first period?

I guess the ‘player was/was not injured on the play” will be a big factor, unfortunetly…

Posted by Zqto on 12/09/13 at 03:12 PM ET

Ah, my bad

It is okay Zqto, all of us who do not own an article of clothing with a giant wheel understand that you have no idea what you are talking about.

As for the five game suspension.  Two things.
#1, I agree with the five game suspension.
#2, Please tell me what the difference between this -> VIDEO AND this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7ft_DciAac

By the way… both of these guys knew what they were doing.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 12/09/13 at 03:36 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

To clarify, since Neal’s last suspension was over 18 months ago, he loses about 5/182 of his salary.  (days suspended divided by total days in the season)

If the two suspensions were closer together than that, then it would be 5/82 (days suspended divided by games). This is why there’s a definitive cut-off for “repeat offender” when they discuss these kinds of things, but not when they speak about a player’s “history”.

James Neal has a history of supplemental discipline when it comes to deciding whether he should be suspended longer.  He cannot be classified as a “repeat offender” under the rules of the CBA, but they have taken those rules to simply use “repeat offender” as a status which decides the monetary penalty for games lost and nothing more.

This remains one of the more often-confused parts of the way supplemental discipline works.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/09/13 at 03:37 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

By the way… both of these guys knew what they were doing.

If you believe the last sentence you wrote, then there is no difference between the two.

I don’t believe the last sentence you wrote. You are in a vast minority of those who do believe it. The overhwelming percentage of that minority who believe as you do are biased Penguins fans.

Case closed.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/09/13 at 03:41 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

@Zgto, that was Ericksson that got concussed on the Orpik hit. That hit was deemed good but it looked like interference to me.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 12/09/13 at 04:13 PM ET

Neal needed to be suspended.  You could make the argument that it was accidental like Steckels, but I wouldn’t make it. Neal’s knee was, for lack of a better word, opportunistic. Thornton’s was premeditated. It will be interesting to see how many he gets. I imagine it is going to be a lot.  By now, everyone has gone to the usual rhetoric, so it is what it is.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 12/09/13 at 04:19 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

G2L, regardless of your snide and pathetic attempt at trolling, I’ll answer you

First, the boston player was helpless, on the freaking ICE… Crosby was checking someones butt, and if you pay attention to the replay, he actually SKATES/TURNS TO the capital’s player direction….
Second, the whashington player might have seen crosby, might not, I dont think its conclusive from that angle and poor quality of video. You can see on the replay that at the last second he even tries to get out of the way, slightly, but contact was already beeing made against Crosby’s head, unfortunetly
Third, apart from points 1 and 2, I do think they deserve the same kind of punishment… A player should be responsible for his own body and stick at all times, as far as I’m concerned
I dont care if he was looking the other way and his shoulder hits someone’s head, it should not matter if it’s intentional or not, the same way high sticks are treated, and I dont care if this slows down the game a little… IMHO, that would be a good thing, right now. The game is too fast as it is

Posted by J.J. from Kansas

I did not know that! Thanks JJ, that’s why I asked Paul, in the first place!

Posted by Zqto on 12/09/13 at 04:21 PM ET

I have a hard time with steckel being responsible for the concussion on Crosby. It was technically interference on Crosby who isn’t paying any attention to where he’s going and skates into someone who doesn’t see him until the last second. It Lois to me like steckel tries to avoid Crosby, who steckel doesn’t know is shating random curves on the ice. That looks like an accident to me. No penalty, no suspension. Two guys paying poor attention run into one another is just something that happens.
If you walk into someone on the street because they’re not paying attention and you don’t see them until they bounce off you, they fall down, hit their head, pop an aneurysm, die, I don’t think you should be charged with murder. I agree, prior should be responsible for bodies, including shoulders, but I think the only applicable time that’s realistic is during an intentional hit. I don’t think someone should be punished for an accidental collision, particularly if they’re not really at fault and try to avoid the collision.

Posted by teldar on 12/09/13 at 05:48 PM ET

G2L, regardless of your snide and pathetic attempt at trolling

does anyone else see the irony?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 12/09/13 at 06:54 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

While I agree with this comment on webber’s turnbuckling Z’s head, beware some on this sight will take offense at your mention of that play. They will tell you to take off the tinfoil hat and to “get over it”.

I have not and will not forget this play and will continue to point out the disparity in the way that suspenions are handed out, or as in this case, not handed out.

BTW, Neal should have got minimum 15 games.

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/09/13 at 09:51 PM ET

5 games is the max they can give without an appeal. On appeal they would have overturned anything longer and probably would be less as you can’t prove intent.

Posted by timbits on 12/09/13 at 11:21 PM ET