Report- No Further Action Against Bertuzzi

via Pierre LeBrun tweet,

FYI, source tells me no league hearing scheduled for Todd Bertuzzi; no further discipline planned for his hit on Ryan Johnson

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: todd+bertuzzi

Comments

Guilherme's avatar

On more important tweets, per the Red Wings:

Did you know that Darren Helm became the fourth Red Wings player this season to become a worldwide trending topic on Twitter?

Pavel Datsyuk (October 8), Chris Osgood (December 27) and Johan Franzen (February 2) are the others.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 03/29/11 at 12:13 PM ET

Puck's avatar

Phewww, good thing I didn’t dump him last night from my fantasy roster. Thanks for the 15 PIM’s Bert! See ya Wednesday at home vs St Louis, LOL! Now score some goals. I want to repeat as champion.

Posted by Puck from San Francisco, CA on 03/29/11 at 12:20 PM ET

Ataris18's avatar

It’s probably cuz he’s a red wing…

Seriously though i could have seen him take a game or two and a possible fine. It was a dumb hit glad Johnson is okay but i dont think Bert’s intent was to take his head off.

Posted by Ataris18 from Tucson, AZ on 03/29/11 at 12:34 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Pretty surprising. I thought the call on the ice was perfect and if Bert had zero history, I could see a fine and no suspension, or maybe one game being alright. The hit sure didn’t look like he was headhunting, but it definitely was one of those instances where the onus was still on Bert to realize he had to pull up because Johnson had his side to the play and was in a bit of a crouch… have to let up there.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/29/11 at 12:34 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Another thought… I actually wonder if Johnson’s comments about it influenced this? And then the comments about the Kubina hit being far worse?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/29/11 at 12:35 PM ET

I honestly think that it was because of when it happened.  If it was in the third period, with just a few minutes left he might have gotten a game or two, but he essentially served a one-game suspension already, so there was no need for additional punishment.

Posted by Garth on 03/29/11 at 12:37 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Procedures Relating To Commissioner Discipline

...

Section 6. Factors In Determining Supplementary Discipline

...

(c) The status of the offender, and specifically whether he is a “first” or “repeat” offender. Players who repeatedly violate NHL rules will be more severely punished for each new violation.

...

Section 5>>> “[S]tatus as a “first” or “repeat” offender shall be re-determined every eighteen (18) months. For example, where a Player is suspended for the first time, he is a repeat offender if he is suspended again within eighteen (18) months of the first incident. If he is not suspended a second time within this eighteen (18) month period, he will no longer be treated as a repeat offender for disciplinary purposes

They could fit his history under the “other appropriate circumstances”, but he’s not a repeat offender.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 03/29/11 at 12:46 PM ET

While I do think that the “re-determination” of repeat offender is dumb, I also think that 7 years is beyond what should be the statute of limitations for it.

Posted by Garth on 03/29/11 at 01:12 PM ET

To me he deserved 2-4 simply for the stupidity of the act. I mean, that was just plain reckless… why are you skating in backwards to check him? Face him when you do it so you can adjust your position accordingly.

The league mystifies me… Marchand and Heatley get two and the Bertuzzi and Hornqvist get nothing??

Posted by Doh on 03/29/11 at 01:13 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Like I said when Cooke got suspended, Fans who were Orgasmic at the suspension given to Cooke would be pissed when the next headshot happened & the lax ruling by Rectum Campbell

Posted by Evilpens on 03/29/11 at 01:26 PM ET

To me he deserved 2-4 simply for the stupidity of the act.

That’s why he got tossed out of the game.

Four games for stupidity?  That’s ridiculous.  How about we try to get some consistency in suspensions that are dangerous and have an intent to injure before we start going after people who make bad hockey plays.

Posted by Garth on 03/29/11 at 01:28 PM ET

Thing is, this wasn’t a headshot.  Unless the league adopts an across-the-board ruling on ALL contact to the head no matter what, this simply isn’t a suspendable play.

No malice, no injury and the head was not “targeted”.  How does this deserve a suspension?

Posted by Garth on 03/29/11 at 01:32 PM ET

Chris from NOHS's avatar

Is it just me or that tweet not there anymore?

Posted by Chris from NOHS from Columbus, OH/Grand Rapids, MI on 03/29/11 at 01:33 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

My only $0.02 is I hope this doesn’t relegate Bert to not using his size what so ever from here on out. Collie may or may not spin the wheel of “justice”, either way it’s fine here.
I agree he looked clueless and really not sure what the hell he was trying to do flying in backwards….

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/29/11 at 01:40 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Posted by Chris from NOHS from The University of Oxford on 03/29/11 at 11:33 AM ET

i see it on there….says it was posted 26 minutes ago, which is weird, bc McKenzie retweeted the LeBrun post over an hour ago.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 03/29/11 at 01:43 PM ET

Incognetis's avatar

The league mystifies me…

Posted by Incognetis from Delaware... Hi... I'm in... Delaware on 03/29/11 at 01:46 PM ET

No injury? I guess having stitches to reattach his earlobe isn’t considered an injury…

Ironically, the last two elbows both caused damaged ears and required stitches… neither merited suspension. The two previous elbows caused no injury at all and both merited two games.

Posted by Doh on 03/29/11 at 01:51 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

head was not targeted ??? WTF did he hit ?? His Nuts? Red & White Blinders on

Posted by Evilpens on 03/29/11 at 01:58 PM ET

head was not targeted ??? WTF did he hit ??

That’s two different questions, dummy.  Just because he hit Johnson’s head doesn’t mean it was targeted.

If I take a shot and it deflects off a stick into a player’s face, that means I targeted his face?

Do you understand what targeted means?  He clearly he was not “going for” Johnson’s head and if you can’t see that then you’re a lost cause

I guess having stitches to reattach his earlobe isn’t considered an injury…

Really?  Stitches to his ear because his helmet cut him is now a suspendable offense?

You know what I meant when I said no injury.  You KNOW what the injury discussion is when we’re talking hits to the head, don’t try and get around it because of semantics.  There was no cuncussion, he only missed five minutes (which is less than he should’ve under the mandatory concussion check) and Johnson himself said that a) it wasn’t malicious and b) he put himself in position to be hit like that.

Suck it up, cry babies.

Posted by Garth on 03/29/11 at 02:12 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

You’re a Blindfolded Buffoon

Posted by Evilpens on 03/29/11 at 02:27 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Evilpenis ,loses again!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/29/11 at 02:34 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Red Winger The resident Twat Waffle is heard from again… Well at least this time he isn’t whinging about his team team shitting the Bed in Game 6 & 7 in the 2009 SC Finals & blaming 6 Skaters & the Buttman loves the Pens

Posted by Evilpens on 03/29/11 at 02:52 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Now that you guys even admit it there is no reason to bring it up all the time.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/29/11 at 02:57 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

What the hell does any of this have to do with Bertuzzi?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/29/11 at 02:57 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Garth on 03/29/11 at 11:28 AM ET

I agree with both you and Doh. I don’t think your viewpoints are mutually exclusive.

Yes, it is more important to get rid of the blatant attempts to injure before we move to cleaning up “hockey plays” that get gnarly.

But it was a stupid play. Why did he decide to skate backwards into the hit? Had he stayed face up, he probably would’ve seen Johnson was vulnerable and would’ve eased up and came in sideways—see the similar but clean hit Abdelkader threw later in the game.

If we’re talking about Hock E. Player with no prior record, yeah, 2 - 4 games for something like that is a bit much. But certainly a fine to go with the in-game calls would be in order, and even one supplemental game would be alright with me.

But given that we’re talking about Todd Bertuzzi, I can at least understand why people would ask for more. Like it or not, he has a history. Crawford might’ve told him to do it, whatever, that’s a different discussion. The point is wherever you put fault, Bertuzzi did what he did and the consequences are going to echo through the rest of his NHL career, and perhaps even farther.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/29/11 at 03:06 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 03/29/11 at 12:52 PM ET

My dad can kick your dad’s ass!

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 03/29/11 at 03:33 PM ET

Thinking about it, Bertuzzi should have at least gotten 1. The guy wasn’t hurt and it wasn’t exactly clear what Bertuzzi was trying to do, but I’m thinking headshots need to be the next obstruction when it comes to erring on the side of penalties. If a couple players need to be punished a little worse than they should be in order to get it into, say, Derek Stepan’s head that a retaliation of the sort he made on Mike Green could be very costly to him personally, I’m okay with that.

Posted by steviesteve on 03/29/11 at 03:40 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Crater   Sure hope so! My dad has been dead for 6 + Years

Posted by Evilpens on 03/29/11 at 03:43 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Sure hope so! My dad has been dead for 6 + Years

Posted by Evilpens on 03/29/11 at 01:43 PM ET

So he did kick your dad’s ass, at the game of life. Good to know.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 03/29/11 at 03:46 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 03/29/11 at 12:52 PM ET

Du är bara en dum jävla pen fan…

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 03/29/11 at 03:48 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I don’t pretend to understand how the NHL decides its supplemntary discipline. The one thing I have gleaned from watching it over the years is that the status of the victim seems to be a big determining factor, and here Johnson only missed a shift.

Fortunately for Bert (and for Johnson’s career), he missed Johnson’s head with a direct blow of the elbow; Johnson’s head seemed to mostly connect with Bert’s armpit. Johnson was back on the ice in the same period and Bert immediately apologized to Johnson while Johnson was getting examined in the locker room.

It was a really stupid play by Bert that could have been much much worse for Johnson and Bert. Bert turned around right before hitting Johnson and it would have been a perfect hip check if Bert had just bent at the waist a little more and kept his elbows in.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/29/11 at 03:52 PM ET

I shouldn’t be surprised that the NHL, after getting the Cooke call so right, would flub the next one.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 03/29/11 at 09:21 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 03/29/11 at 07:21 PM ET

I know… I’m still pissed that Erat got no punishment for coming off the bench and elbowing Abdelkader from the blind side too, but perhaps together we can heal.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/29/11 at 09:31 PM ET