Report- Mikhail Grabovski Contract Extended By The Leafs

via David Amber tweet,

#Breaking #Leafs sign Grabovski to a 5 year contract extentsion

added 9:59am, via MapleLeafs.com,

“We are extremely pleased to have Mikhail under contract for the next five seasons,” said Burke. “His speed and skill are valuable commodities and fit perfectly with our style of play. He leads by example and his work ethic speaks for itself.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mikhail+grabovski

Comments

Paul's avatar

Reports are $5.5M per year.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/06/12 at 12:23 PM ET

5.5 per is too much for my liking.

Posted by tbassett on 03/06/12 at 12:45 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I can easily see him getting that much on the open market, but that is a little rich for my tastes.

However, there’s a better-than-decent chance that Grabovski turns this into a steal. I wouldn’t have been mad at Ken Holland for giving him the same deal if he had made it to free agency.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/06/12 at 01:16 PM ET

Makes the James Neal 5 mil/yr for 6 yrs look like a steal.

Posted by yoyo on 03/06/12 at 01:47 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Apples to oranges.

I can’t say I’m as caught up on either situation as I would be if it were involving Detroit or a western team in general buuut…  It probably takes less to convince Neal to play on Malkin, Staal or maybe even Crosby’s, wing for the next few years than it does to convince Grabovski (who is a much better defensive player, is he not?) to sign on for more futility, or at best, rebuilding in Toronto.

It seems to me that Neal is in a pretty ideal situation for someone of his skillet, but players don’t always think in those terms.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/06/12 at 03:00 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Have fun with that.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/06/12 at 11:16 AM

I know, but just because someone would pay that on the open market doesn’t mean it’s a smart decision.  Marty Lapointe got paid once, after all…

Posted by Primis on 03/07/12 at 09:15 AM ET