Khabibulin Will Serve Some Jail Time

from iNews 880,

Edmonton Oilers’ goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin is accepting his punishment.

The veteran puck stopper, found guilty of extreme DUI and speeding in Arizona last August, abandoned his appeal of the convictions and 30-day jail term he was handed.

According to a representative of Scottsdale City Court, he will spend 15 days in jail, with the other 15 days to be served at home with an electronic monitoring device. Khabibulin must also enter an alcohol treatment program.

continued

Update 6:01pm ET:
From Sarah McLellan of the Arizona Republic, (pieced together via Twitter)—

From Khabibulin’s attorney Mark DuBiel: fine was paid in full today by Khabibulin, who is currently in AZ.  Khabibulin will start serving jail part of sentence in “next few days,” DuBiel said. Final 15 days is house arrest w/ ankle bracelet and random alcohol testing. He will be allowed to leave for 12 hours a day, which will be for hockey-related purposes, DuBiel said.

This was entirely Khabibulin’s decision, DuBiel said. DuBiel and team felt they had a strong case, but Khabibulin wanted this behind him. A court date hadn’t even been set yet by appellate court. After court date, it would have taken a few weeks for decision (maybe end August). If court agreed and overturned ruling, a new trial would have been taken place.

No more court dates after this, DuBiel said, and no word on whether Khabibulin will be in Tent City or other jail facility.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Edmonton Oilers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nikolai+khabibulin

Comments

bezukov's avatar

extreme DUI and speeding

I don’t know what an extreme DUI is, but it sounds intense…

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/26/11 at 07:12 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

DUI with Blood alcohol level of .15 or over in AZ

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 07/26/11 at 07:18 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Ann Arbor on 07/26/11 at 05:18 PM ET

Far be it from me to question the wisdom of Arizona’s legislators… cough… but I think I’d come up with another name for it .  “Extreme DUI” sounds like an amusement park attraction.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/26/11 at 08:12 PM ET

Will this affect his employment with the Oilers?  Aren’t non-Canadian citizens with DUI convictions persona non grata in Canada?  I vaguely remember reading something to this effect just prior to the Olympics.

Posted by BobTheZee on 07/26/11 at 09:45 PM ET

Primis's avatar

DUI should really get a harsher penalty, everywhere.  I had a friend nearly get killed recently by a drunk driver.  I also have family that have been guilty of doing it.  It’s no joke, and no small slip-up.  It’s consciously making a choice to do something that regularly kills innocent people.

Posted by Primis on 07/27/11 at 02:04 AM ET

I s’pose I should have done the search before my first post.  Here’s the KK post I was referring to:

Drunk Drivers Not Welcomed In Canada