Report- How Does This Sound?  4 Years, $12 Million For Kopecky

via Nick Kypreos tweet,

Another #NHL jackpot winner in the state Florida. #Panthers who acquired Tomas Kopecky for a draft pick agrees to a 4 year/ 12M deal.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Florida Panthers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: tomas+kopecky

Comments

tgummerer's avatar

Sounds like throwing around money to get to the cap floor.

Posted by tgummerer on 06/29/11 at 11:23 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Sounds like about $6m too much.

Nice to see the cap has discouraged GM’s from signing depth players to ridiculous contracts…

Posted by Primis on 06/29/11 at 11:23 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Are my eyes and ears deceiving me?  Or does it seem like the Panthers are actually attempting to compete this season?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/29/11 at 11:36 AM ET

I just vomited a little in my mouth…

I thought the whole reason Tallon signed Kopecky with the hawks was just to keep Hossa happy? Apparently, after Tallon was fired he didn’t watch Kopecky play…Not sure he should carry much if any value over a 4th line player, especially if he isn’t being singed to keep a superstar happy…unless he is trying to make Campbell happy…but I always thought it was a slovak thing…

Posted by pstumba on 06/29/11 at 11:37 AM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Dale Tallon brought us Brian Campbell’s 7m lifetime salary, Huet’s 5m lifetime salary, and now this.

I wish I had that guys job.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/29/11 at 11:37 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Report- How Does This Sound?  4 Years, $12 Million For Kopecky

It sounds like a hilarious joke.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/29/11 at 11:39 AM ET

tgummerer's avatar

Compete by overpaying players?

Posted by tgummerer on 06/29/11 at 11:40 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

& that boys & girls is why TK won’t sign with the Pens because his agent knows there are teams that have to spend a ton to get to the salary floor & Mike Rupp too

Posted by Evilpens on 06/29/11 at 12:03 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Tallon obviously has a lot of money to spend just to get to the salary cap floor, but my god $3 million a year for Kopecky?  There are so many other players I would of looked at first before giving this guy that kind of money.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 06/29/11 at 12:05 PM ET

Posted by Evilpens on 06/29/11 at 10:03 AM ET

The question you should be asking is why in hell you would want Kopecky on the Pens at all?

Have you watched him play?

Posted by Garth on 06/29/11 at 12:07 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Compete by overpaying players?

Well I agree with you about overpaying, but my point is I don’t remember them being so active in the past (i.e. actually taking a stake in the teams success by bringing in fresh talent).

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/29/11 at 12:08 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Posted by Garth on 06/29/11 at 10:07 AM ET  Ummm who said I wanted Kopecky on the Pens ?

Posted by Evilpens on 06/29/11 at 12:12 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I wouldn’t call the talents of Kopecky and Campbell “fresh”.

I would call their contracts “Cap floor-friendly”

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/29/11 at 12:18 PM ET

Ummm who said I wanted Kopecky on the Pens ?

Then why the f*ck does it matter to you?

Posted by Garth on 06/29/11 at 12:36 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

Hey I can play either wing or defence, and I was a 90 goal scorer on my street. Tallon, hit me up!

Tomas Kopecky is going to make more this year than Darren fuching Helm. And Danny Cleary. Overpay just doesn’t seem adequate enough for this.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 06/29/11 at 12:42 PM ET

Krononymous's avatar

Ummm who said I wanted Kopecky on the Pens ?

Then why the f*ck does it matter to you?

Posted by Garth on 06/29/11 at 10:36 AM ET

My take is that EvilPens was referring to Tyler Kennedy who is also “TK”.

Posted by Krononymous on 06/29/11 at 12:52 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Posted by Garth on 06/29/11 at 10:36 AM ET Because every contract has an effect on the Players that are left forr the Pens & RW’s to sign ASSBAG

Posted by Evilpens on 06/29/11 at 12:53 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Have you watched him play?

Posted by Garth on 06/29/11 at 10:07 AM ET

Garth, in Pens land, TK = Tyler Kennedy, not Tomas Kopecky.

His point is, if a guy like Tomas Kopecky is getting $3 million per year, it explains why guys like Tyler Kennedy aren’t re-signing with their clubs just yet. If Kopecky is worth $3 million to a team trying to get to the floor, Kennedy is worth at least that much to a similar team, if not a million more.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/29/11 at 12:54 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

OOOPS never even thought of that Nathan ! I apologize Garth

Posted by Evilpens on 06/29/11 at 01:08 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Tell me again why the players should accept a roll-back when Kopecky is getting $3M?
Floor or not, the owners created this mess. Let them roll in it.

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/29/11 at 01:13 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

$3 million is craziness for Kopecky.

After that deal, if I am an impending UFA forward I sit back and wait to see what July 1st brings.  If Kopecky can get $3 million, why can’t a 3rd line guy like Patrick Eaves get a similar deal?

It will be very interesting to see what happens over the next few days.

Posted by Ajax19 on 06/29/11 at 01:15 PM ET

I apologize Garth

A simple mix-up.  My apologies to you as well.

And I agree with you about Kennedy and, like Ajax, am a bit concerned about Eaves now…  But I guess if guys like Kennedy and Eaves are willing to simply follow the money and play for a shitty org like Florida over playing with quality organizations like Pittsburgh or Detroit, there’s not much to do…

Posted by Garth on 06/29/11 at 02:23 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Posted by Garth on 06/29/11 at 12:23 PM ET

There’s the crux of it all. Play for $ or play to win.
We’ve made our offer to Eaves, he’s free to chase the almighty dollar or have a chance at a Cup.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/29/11 at 02:44 PM ET

Pffft. If Kopecky gets $3 mil/y in this market, Tyler Kennedy is worth $6mil/y.

Posted by steviesteve on 06/29/11 at 02:52 PM ET

There’s the crux of it all. Play for $ or play to win.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 on 06/29/11 at 12:44 PM ET

Yeah, but when players are being signed for triple their contribution, a silver dollar probably looks a little glossier than a Stanley Cup to a lot of guys. Supply and Demand Hell, indeed.

Posted by steviesteve on 06/29/11 at 02:55 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Yeah, but when players are being signed for triple their contribution

Kinda makes the whole CBA pissing contest a joke. No CBA can make up for bone headed management.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/29/11 at 02:59 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

A simple mix-up.  My apologies to you as well.

I agree 100% ! But if you’re a player & some team wants to vastly overpay what your forrmer team wants to pay, You have to be tempted at least

Posted by Evilpens on 06/29/11 at 03:17 PM ET

Well, depending on what the Wings’ offer was, they’re not neccesarily without blame.

And to be fair, getting money and a chance at the Cup are not mutually exclusive things…

True, and they can’t really be blamed for going after money (and let’s be honest, both Kennedy and Eaves couldn’t be blamed for being annoyed that Pitt and Det don’t want to pay them what they think they’re worth but are willing to take part in the circus that is “Jagrwatch”), but I’d like to think guys like them might want to actually stay with the teams that have been pretty good to them.

Posted by Garth on 06/29/11 at 03:23 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Well In Kennedy’s case he already has a SC ring so maybe he’s decided to max out a contract

Posted by Evilpens on 06/29/11 at 03:50 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Seriously, he’ll never get even a whiff of Crosby/Malkin/Fleury type money in PITT; it would be extremely hard not to cash in while he can. The same goes for Eaves, Miller, Ericsson…or basically any role player in the league. Heck, who knows, FLA and other teams that need to reach the cap floor may even offer to vastly overpay “washed up” veterans like Draper and Ozzie before everything is said and done. And some guys may decide to go for one last big payday to set themselves up better for retirement…

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 06/29/11 at 04:27 PM ET

Yada yada Denmark rotten or something.

This deal benefits the Hawks and TK.  That’s all.  I would love to see Tallon try to justify giving up a draft pick and that salary for this guy.  I can kind of understand Campbell, despite being a bad value he’s still a good player, and even with his contract the Panthers are still a ridiculous $22m shy of the floor.

It gets weird though when, according to Tallon, the floor has nothing to do with his signings:

“The floor is going to get in the way of us trying to become a good team,” said Tallon. “The focus is not the floor, the focus is to become a really good team as quickly as possible without jeopardizing our future. The floor is going to accidentally get in the way.

“That’s the way I’m looking at it — I’m not doing this (Campbell trade) to get to the floor, I’m doing this to become a good team. Period.”

If that’s so, why TK?  Its neither efficient nor effective, and doesn’t make that big a dent in getting to the salary floor Tallon is so unconcerned about. Why not wait until FA starts and overpay for actual impact players? Why not overpay FA-to-be Vokoun?

Posted by dumbasrocks on 06/29/11 at 04:43 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

Strange things happen in a rigged economy

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 06/29/11 at 07:02 PM ET