Remember To Tune-In To Center Ice Free Preview

from Pete Dougherty of the TimesUnion,

In Demand has announced an 18-day free preview of its “NHL Center Ice” package beginning with the regular-season openers Thursday night.

The preview for the out-of-market subscription package will run Oct. 6-23. Digital cable and satellite subscribers can access up to 40 live games per week across 14 channels.

Customers who order the package by Oct. 30 will receive an early-bird price of $171.80 (four payments of $42.95).

Among the features this season:

continued

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, Center Ice, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

Every June I say no more…but every October I subscribe for another year.

How can you not? To have all those games available on a nightly basis, it’s just too good to pass up.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/04/11 at 05:58 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Man, I love the ability to watch every Wings game (and any other game I want, for the most part), but $175 is killing me every season.  I suppose if my cable provider (Time Warner and InDemand) had supplied more than two HD channels out of almost 30 dedicated to the service (every channel was duplicated, don’t know why) I might be able to stomach it a bit easier.

That said, I went with Gamecentre Live this year for portability’s sake… but I need to find out why my streams are so low on the FPS side even though I’ve got plenty of horsepower/bandwidth to run it at full quality.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 10/04/11 at 06:43 PM ET

Primis's avatar

We got Center Ice for 3 years and I loved it… but the truth is we finally just let it go last year.

We’ll watch the heck out of the free preview, but… until things change in this economy, we won’t be subscribing any more.

I really wish the NHL would work out a deal with ESPN 3 somehow… it’s lame that I can get KHL game son there even, but still no North American hockey…

Posted by Primis on 10/04/11 at 07:12 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I had both NHLCI and GCL last year (don’t ask…just think tequila), and while GCL has some cool features, I still give the nod to NHLCI because the streams on GCL were so streaky.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/04/11 at 08:10 PM ET

RedMenace,

InDemand is supposed to have 9 (I think that’s the number) HD channels for hockey this season.  I have not personally seen them myself, but I have seen internal documents that lead me to believe that they will be available.  I had thought they would have launched by now, but again, haven’t seen them live yet.

Your individual situation may vary.

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 10/04/11 at 08:39 PM ET

Alzy's avatar

I’m hoping you guys can answer this question for me:

Up here in Canada, as far as I know on the major cable/satellite providers, there’s only 10 SD and 9 HD channels for CI, and they don’t list who the provider is, it just lists the game. Is it like that in the States too? I can’t remember who it was, maybe JJ from Kansas or MOWings, but I remember last year someone saying in one of the LBs that they couldn’t watch a game on FSD even though it was listed on their FSD CI channel. I just wonder why we can’t have an SD and HD feed of every team’s sports channel. I hate that it’s a crapshoot every time I record the HD feed of a Wings game. It’s pretty much why I’ve elected to keep GCL, because I can’t stand listening to 95% of the other teams’ announcers, I gotta have Ken and Mick.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 10/04/11 at 11:21 PM ET

I’ll get CI and will enjoy it, but two things bug me. 1) no post-game shows except HNIC or the Avalanche for some bizarre reason, and 2) no way to contact anyone at CI with questions (the people I’ve talked to at Comcast are mostly clueless).

Posted by riftime from Minnesota on 10/05/11 at 01:03 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Your individual situation may vary.

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 10/04/11 at 06:39 PM ET

This is exactly the problem. The HD feeds that are made available by InDemand have to be picked up and parked somewhere by the provider. And at least in my case the last two years, Cablevision did not make space for the two channels, let alone a potential nine this season…

I’m glad I live back in Michigan so I don’t need to spend $175 and deal with the CI headaches to get Wings games. Between the Wings games on FSD, two games on Versus per week, and usually one or two other on NHL Network, I have no use for CI any more.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/05/11 at 10:11 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I have to buy CI or I would see @ 5 Wings games a year.
Love paying for a service and seeing the scrolling crap on the bottom of the screen for 18 days….. not really, it’s NOT free to me.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 10/05/11 at 11:29 AM ET