Reaction To The Carcillo Hit

from Chuck Gormley of Flyer Files,

“Do I have a problem with it? Sure, why wouldn’t I?” Tortorella said. “We get these (head shot) tapes sent to us during the summer and at the beginning of the year. Why send them? It’s a waste.”

Replays indicate Carcillo got his elbow up on Fedotenko, who was falling to the ice when contact was made.

“I saw him in the middle of the ice and the puck was there,” Carcillo said. “He kind of went down right when I got to him. My elbows were in. I know it looks bad, but I didn’t try to hit his head or anything.

“I don’t think anything (Tortorella) says is going to change anything. It is what it is. It’s not like I took strides toward him. I know they’re cracking down on that, so I imagine I’ll get a phone call.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dan+carcillo, ruslan+fedotenko

Comments

The bigger problem to me is that the puck was really no where near Fedentenko.  Sometimes, when a guys head is down its easy to hit him there, but Carcillo was hitting a guy without the puck, just like he did when he ran Nielsen from behind after Briere’s cross check last game.

For a guy so willing to punch out Gaborik last year, he didn’t want anything to do with Boogard later this game.

Posted by moses on 11/05/10 at 03:21 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The puck was very close to Fedotenko.  The fact that Fedotenko was focusing on recovering it with his head down is what makes this look as bad as it does.

Still think it’s a clean hit.  If I see an angle that shows Carcillo leading with the elbows, I’ll change my mind.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/05/10 at 10:11 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

The only thing that bothers me about the hit is he kind of jumps at the end. Any time your feet come up, it kind of implies some intent to go for the head, or at the very least to make the hit as high as you can.

But this definitely isn’t blind-side… it was face-up, Fedotenko just had his head downo and was slipping. And Carcillo is right… his elbows appeared to stay in.

Honestly, I think 2 minutes for roughing for the jump would’ve been the right penalty. No supplemental or anything.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/05/10 at 10:23 AM ET

pucked up's avatar

Carcillo has earned his punk reputation but after his suspensions last year, he seems to have settled down and cleaned up his act somewhat.  I don’t have a problem with his hit last night, especially because he ended up like a flounder on a jetty. Had he been going in with the intent to level a cheap shot, I think he’d have been better prepared to stay upright.

Posted by pucked up on 11/05/10 at 12:19 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

Carcillo has a reputation but I believe his explanation on this. His “jump” at the end was probably trying to avoid bowling over the Fed when he went down.

Still the motis operandi (sp?) seems to be that when a player receiving a hit anywhere near the head they should just collapse and lay on the ice for as long as possible.

Posted by TheFreak on 11/05/10 at 12:37 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by TheFreak on 11/05/10 at 10:37 AM ET

I tend to agree, that’s what it looks like to me. Anytime there’s a jump, that’s where there’s grey area, because if there’s a jump, it can indicate an intent to hit a player high.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/05/10 at 12:43 PM ET

moses, good point in bringing up the post Briere cross check to Nielsen. As Nielsen is prone CArcillo drives him to the ice. He may not have meant it this time, but you have a hard time giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/05/10 at 04:33 PM ET

Hard call, I really would love them to suspend him, but then again it does look like the guy is going down at the time of the hit. As mentioned before the jump looks suspicious. So if they decided to give him a game just for being Carcillo and being in a situation he admits “looks bad” I would be fine with it.

Posted by timbits on 11/05/10 at 11:22 PM ET