Ranking Those Who Broadcast Our Game On TV

from Derek Zona of SBNation,

ONE STAR (or less)

Ken Daniels, Mickey Redmond, Larry Murphy - Detroit Red Wings: Listening to the Red Wings crew is like sitting at your local watering hole and watching the game with the sound off. Redmond and Murphy tell tale after tale, interrupt Daniels at every turn, attempting to one-up each other from the pre-game show to the final horn, laugh uproariously and rarely pay attention to the action on the ice.  Daniels, to his credit, tries to call a game every once in awhile, but typically gives up by the second period.

FIVE STARS

Pete Weber, Terry Crisp - Nashville Predators: Another pairing hidden away in an extremely weak television market, Weber and Crisp know what they’re talking about and connect with both the stereotypical “new Southern hockey fan” and long-time fans alike. Crisp played for a decade and won two Stanley Cups, then coached for a decade and won another, and he puts all of that experience into each broadcast.

He has no fear of taking a Predator to task for poor play or a mistake. He’s plugged in with the Preds and is quick to point out when an inside tip about a tactic or strategy is applied on the ice. Weber calls a fair and error-free game and moves seamlessly from explaining the basics of the game to calling out line chances and on-ice play.

more broadcast teams listed…

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

Drew Remenda is the worst announcer in the business. Don’t know why this guy can’t see that. Don’t know why Beninati and Laughlin got 3*s, either. Laughlin has the most-annoying voice in broadcasting and is almost as big of a homer as Steigerwald (though he’s not in Edwards’ stratosphere).

Mostly agree with everybody who got 1* though. Steigerwald is a creep and he sucks. Mickey Redmond sounds like he’s calling a dog show between naps. Edwards is ridiculous (though Brickley’s good enough that I would have added a star).

He’s also right that Phoenix, Nashville, LA, StL and, especially, Dallas are the cream of the crop. Harry Neale’s enthusiasm is pretty infectious, too. “AAAth woghn more tuh thuh PoPulation of Pommminville!!!” Maybe he’s right about Florida, too, but it occurs to me I’ve never watched a FLA broadcast.

Posted by steviesteve on 07/12/11 at 01:46 PM ET

Meant Jeannerette

Posted by steviesteve on 07/12/11 at 01:47 PM ET

But where does Derek Zona rank on this list? Oh yeah, he doesn’t, because unlike these men who mostly worked hard to get to where they are Zona is an Oilers fan “marooned in Western Pennsylvania” talking to “dumbfounded” Penguins fans.

Tough gig for a guy wearing nothing but boxers tapping away at the keyboard in his bedroom.

Posted by tj77 from USA on 07/12/11 at 01:51 PM ET

NIVO nailed it…Thorn and Clement were/are the best.

Posted by VandyBuck on 07/12/11 at 02:11 PM ET

Darryl Zona molests collies. Mickey has had an awful lot of prime jobs over the years for a guy that sucks so bad. What waste of internet space! Lets do a “who is the biggest tool on the internet”. It would be close because Zona would lose a lot of votes to Larry Brooks, Ryan Lambert and Ken Campbell but right now id vote for him.

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 07/12/11 at 03:07 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

HOMER!

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 07/12/11 at 03:14 PM ET

So have Stan Fischler and Deb Placey. Both are utter morons.

Posted by steviesteve on 07/12/11 at 03:19 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

No matter who you like, diskike, believe is the fair or unfair, I think we can all agree that Jerk Edwards is not just a the worst broadcaster but a real all-around @$$hole.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 07/12/11 at 03:23 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

...unlike the moron fans in Nashville and Columbus I don’t need someone to spoon feed me the game.

Posted by bezukov from Wings Fan in exile: Columbus, OH on 07/12/11 at 10:25 AM ET

Can someone explain offsides to me again???

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/12/11 at 03:28 PM ET

How can anyone talk smack about Mickey? Seriously? The guys a class act. I can kind of understand the Murph thing, but I like him too. And I find most drunk people annoying as hell. (Unless I’m as drunk or drunkerer - then I’m the annoying one.)

I think most of these folks have never actually watched a FSD game and are jumping on the opportunity to smear the greatest hockey orgin-i-zation that man has ever known.

I can’t speak about other home broadcasters, the only games I watch that aren’t on FSD are on CBC or Versux but I find it hard to believe they are on the bottom of anyone with any kind of hockey IQ’s list.

P.S. I can’t stand Thorne and Clement, but years of the NHL series on xbox will do that to you. BING BANG BOOOOOM…. He’s really got his skating shoes on today! (Aren’t skating shoes skates? Wha?)

Posted by LGRWeh from Mi on 07/12/11 at 03:59 PM ET

NickLidstrom's avatar

hahaha at terry crisp getting 5 stars

Posted by NickLidstrom from a Higher Ground on 07/12/11 at 04:03 PM ET

Can someone explain offsides to me again???

That’s when a player (eg; Todd Bertuzzi) gets a penalty based on his reputation.

Posted by Iggy Rules on 07/12/11 at 04:05 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Okay, help me out here.  I’m doing an informal poll.  Whenever the Avs score a goal, Colorado play-by-play guy Mike Haynes sounds like…

a) a man having a cannonball fired into his mid-section.
b) someone is removing an unbelievably large object from his rectal cavity.
c) a demonically-possessed Rosie O’Donnell in the throes of the dry heaves.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/12/11 at 04:35 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

That’s why they’re so good.  They make the game better.  I don’t need someone to tell me what’s happening on the screen and I don’t need a play by play at the end of a blowout.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 07/12/11 at 04:55 PM ET

Don’t see how anyone can call Laughlin a homer. Rips the Caps all the time for lack of effort or stupidity. Voice is extremely annoying. I like the Det guys but when Ken did Versus he was horrendous. Got names wrong constantly. Staggy, Errey and J Edwards are by far the worst of course. The national crew for CBC is by far the best.

Posted by flacco5 on 07/12/11 at 07:06 PM ET

You guys are too funny.  Of course you’d see no problem with Redmond because he feeds your persecution complex.  Calls against the Wings are always wrong, and the refs always miss a number of calls that should have put the Wings ont he PP, and anyone that doesn’t call the game with that mindset is a horrible announcer.

I haven’t seen Weber and Crisp in the last year or so, but they got noticeably better when the Preds were sold from Leipold to the current group.  They stopped cheerleading for the Preds and started calling hockey games.  Still not sure I’d put them on top though.

For my money nobody does their homework and calls an even game as well as Miller and Fox in LA.  They might not have the flair that some other teams have but they are always solid and always know the other team beyond the big names.

Posted by RoneFace on 07/12/11 at 07:47 PM ET

Chris in A^2's avatar

Have you ever watched a game on FSD?  There hasnt been a hooking or holding call made since the lockout that he hasn’t complained about.  That goes for calls on both teams.

Posted by Chris in A^2 from Nyquist Puck Control on 07/12/11 at 08:02 PM ET

Have you ever watched a game on FSD?

I’ve watched several, including during the playoffs last year when Murray leveled Franzen with a clean shoulder to shoulder hit.  Thought Redmond was going to try and make a citizens arrest for assault.

Posted by RoneFace on 07/12/11 at 08:11 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

You’re wrong.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/12/11 at 08:16 PM ET

Even though I’m a Preds fan, I would rather listen to Mickey and Ken call a Wings game than Pete and Terry any day. I started watching most Wings games on Gamecenter Live just because I liked what Mickey added to the broadcast. I didn’t watch as many of the road games once I noticed he wasn’t part of the crew for a lot of them. As for the Preds games, I usually listen to Tom Callahan on the radio rather than Pete and Terry. Unfortunately they’re the radio crew when the game isn’t being broadcast. I also agree with many of the posters that the CBJ crew are the absolute worst.

Posted by PredFan from way over here on 07/12/11 at 08:19 PM ET

Posted by flacco5 on 07/12/11 at 06:06 PM ET

Maybe he’s gotten better, then, in terms of homerism if certainly not in annoyance. When I lived in Washington ~ 2006-8 he consistently and grossly overestimated the aptitude of various Capital players. Boyd Gordon scores a goal and all the sudden Laughlin thinks he’s Iginla. Laughlin was also utterly unable to call any player by anything other than that player’s locker-room nickname.

Posted by steviesteve on 07/12/11 at 09:43 PM ET

Being a homer isn’t a crime, but being stupid is another thing.
Posted by timbits on 07/12/11 at 10:46 AM ET
I’m lost on these sentiments, timmy.  You of all people should know that sweeping generalizations are received as dead on arrival commentary, I expect more from a varsity letterman like yourself

Mea culpa, I succumbed to overstatement. I just couldn’t let the fact Redmond grinds my last gear to go by without some excessive statement!

Posted by timbits on 07/12/11 at 09:49 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by RoneFace on 07/12/11 at 06:47 PM ET

Of course we’re supposed to believe that even though you’re presumably a fan of one team or another that your a tower of dispassionate opinion making and a model of stoicism during the game… how adorable.

Posted by PredFan from way over here on 07/12/11 at 07:19 PM ET

Cheers to you sir!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/13/11 at 12:45 AM ET

If you read the rest of what I wrote you’ll notice that I said I think Miller and Fox do the best job of doing their homework on the entire league and calling an even game even though I am not a Kings fan, so I’ve got that going for me.  Which is nice.

When it comes to announcers it is possible to have an opinion beyond “these guys are the best because they are the guys that cover my team.”

Posted by RoneFace on 07/13/11 at 12:50 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

So… because you’re not biased against the Kings means that you’re also not biased against the Red Wings?

I’m not racist, I have an asian friend!

What a ridiculous argument.  Almost as ridiculous as making your mind up about a hall-of-fame broadcaster because of what you seem to remember as anecdotal evidence during an emotionally charged time for your fanbase.  Well-done.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/13/11 at 01:09 AM ET

Ahh, so the fact that I think Redmond is a hack and a homer means I have an anti-Wings bias.  Makes perfect sense.

I think the SBN list was pretty accurate and I don’t have any beef with it.  I might have made a couple changes but nothing dramatic, mostly based on personal preference.  Sorry you disagree.

Just for comedy’s sake, is there anything that could be construed as a negative comment about the Wings that you wouldn’t vehemently disagree with?

Posted by RoneFace on 07/13/11 at 01:13 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

No, the fact that you skulk around this site picking fights with Red Wings fans means you have an anti-Wings bias, genius.

Sorry you disagree.

No you’re not, you lying liar.

“The Red Wings did not win the Stanley Cup last year.”
“Jonathan Ericsson will struggle to live up to his salary.”
“I, RoneFace, do not know anything about the Detroit Red Wings.”

See?  Those are just three of a THOUSAND* different examples of negative comments about the Wings that I wouldn’t vehemently disagree with.

(*not literally)

Don’t pretend like you’re getting the brunt of an argument because we Wings homers are too blind to see the objective truth you’re trying to lay on us.  Go back and read your comments objectively. We’re having a vehement disagreement because you’re being an asshead and so am I.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/13/11 at 01:22 AM ET

I did, and I wasn’t picking a fight merely stating my opinion.  Because I had the audacity to suggest the Wings might not be the greatest ever in some capacity you decided to be an asshead.  It’s not possible that I just disagree with you, it must be that I have a bias against the Wings.  Think about that.

Posted by RoneFace on 07/13/11 at 01:27 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

I read the rest of what you wrote, I just had no issue with it.  That made your comments irrelevant to me, which would be why I didn’t quote or address them.

Well you did resort to an (unsolicited) ad hominem attack on all of us right off the bat (if the shoe fits…):

You’re the guy who made a profile on a site made up of a majority of Wings fans, who then goes and throws out needling comments about the Wings broadcast.  Its not a stretch of logic to assume that you came here to stir the pot.

If that isn’t the case, a thousand apologies, but you sure don’t give yourself the look of a guy “just stating his unbiased opinion.”  You could have made your opinion without the “fightin’ words” you know, because as you’ve implied, oversensitive jackasses like me will take the bait.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/13/11 at 02:13 AM ET

I’m tired of arguing with you about a difference of opinion.  All you’ve proven is that you can overreact to any perceived slight, which was kind of the point of my original comment quoted above.

Posted by RoneFace on 07/13/11 at 02:18 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I did, and I wasn’t picking a fight merely stating my opinion.

Bullshit.  If you’re honestly so stupid as to come into a comment thread implying that an entire fanbase deserves ridicule (which is exactly what “You guys are too funny” does), then I’m surprised your brain has the power to work the autonomous functions of your body, let alone the reserve power to work those fingers over a keyboard.  You should be studied in a lab.

What an amazing level of cognitive dissonance here where you can burst into a room acting like a jerk and then be honestly taken aback when you’re treated like one.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/13/11 at 08:57 AM ET

I think you have lost any semblance of rationality on this issue.

Posted by timbits on 07/13/11 at 10:17 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I think you have lost any semblance of rationality on this issue.

Posted by timbits on 07/13/11 at 09:17 AM ET

On the issue of whether RoneFace is a jerk or on the issue of whether it’s a good idea to disagree with another commenter (or group of commenters) disrespectfully and then be try to lecture them when they don’t react with a level of objectivity that you demand, but have not shown?

Or are we still talking about the announcers? Because there’s plenty of evidence to support that Mickey Redmond is well-respected and the people who call him a stupid homer baboon are those who lack rationale.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/13/11 at 10:24 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Why?  Did your lips get sore from talking out of both sides of your mouth?  Or are you pulling the “I’m above arguing on the internet even though I’m arguing on the internet” card?  Also, “if you bothered to read my whole comment,” I admitted I’m reactionary about the Wings.  I guess you really showed me to the mirror.

QED