Rangers-Devils game involves a little bit of controversy

According to the Associated Press, the New York Rangers dropped a 1-0 decision to the New Jersey Devils due to a slightly controversial on-ice decision (which TSN’s Kerry Fraser says was incorrectly made):

Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils thought the officials got it just right when they waved off the potential tying goal in the closing seconds. Not surprisingly, the New York Rangers had an opposite opinion as they had trouble digesting a frustrating 1-0 loss on Tuesday night.

Brodeur was at his Hall of Fame best against his and the Devils’ fiercest rival and he made half of his 30 saves in the third period. The one puck he didn’t stop came off the stick of Rangers captain Ryan Callahan, who appeared to get New York even with a shot through a maze of bodies in front. However, the goal was immediately disallowed because Marian Gaborik crashed into Brodeur in the crease after he appeared to be pushed from behind by Devils defenceman Anton Volchenkov with 3.5 seconds remaining. The officials saw it differently, whistled Gaborik for interference, and enabled Brodeur to earn his first shutout of the season and the record 117th of his NHL career.

“I made the save, and after that it was a barrage of people. Then I saw the puck behind me,” Brodeur said. “It is kind of obvious. He takes both of his hands and hits my shoulder and pushes me back. I am sure it was the right call. They will probably complain about it but that’s the nature of the beast.”

Rangers coach John Tortorella protested vociferously from the bench, but declined to comment. Gaborik contended he was shoved and was disappointed with the call.

“I tried to put my stick on the ice and then just tried to stop. He just pushed me in to him,” Gaborik said. “If I had run him, I wouldn’t say a word, but I just tried to stop and he pushed me into Brodeur. We could be in overtime right now.”

Sportsline’s Adam Gretz provides one view of the non-goal via YouTube…

And both Yahoo Sports’ Greg “Puck Daddy” Wyshynski and Pro Hockey Talk’s James O’Brien provide further reading and a full slate of game highlights, respectively.

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

bezukov's avatar

It didn’t look to me like Volchenkov was leaning into him that hard.  If Gaborik had tried to catch himself on the cross bar, or done something to miss Brodeur, that goal probably counts.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/08/12 at 01:21 PM ET

I saw the replay mutliple times before seeing the link as well and Volchenkov was parallel to Gaborik, the overhead even shows it was minimal contact. Gaborik could have proceeded to his left as well, but chose the path right in Brodeur. If that goal is allowed to stand it means defenseman are not allowed within 3 feet of any player not carrying the puck. I blame the refs when they mess up, but they got this one right. In this case the refs are right and the ex-ref is wrong.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 02/08/12 at 01:53 PM ET

At first view on the replay, I thought Volchenkov pushed Gaborik into Brodeur. It’s very hard to tell, and the refs seem more inclined to waive these goals off then let them stand, so it’s a tough call either way. Looking at it again, it doesn’t look like Volchenkov applies much force to drive Gaborik forward. How much of an effort is Gaborik required to make? He was slowing down, but it certainly wasn’t hard stop.

Posted by Dave on 02/08/12 at 03:10 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Again, what’s the difference between the play above last night and the play in the following video?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 02/08/12 at 03:19 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 02/08/12 at 01:19 PM ET

Dude!  You crazy crybaby.  The refs got down and gave you guys a Vegas rimjob when you came back to town.  It was so bad that even some of your buddies called it being not right.  Now imagine how bad THAT is.  Jesus.  Let it go.
The Hansen play was short-handed in a game where the Wings got 4 PPs and the Nucks got none.
Yeah, the Wings have it SO hard.  They can hardly get any drooling reverence everywhere they go.  The missed calls that you guys complain about are mostly barely perceptible hooks and holds.  Meanwhile Burrows and Kesler are literally getting tripped on breakaways and can’t buy a break.  Now I realize that three or four yobs are hammering away on their MePhones about how the Nucks deserve it, but this just means that you agree they are being targetted and boned.

Seriously, if you don’t think last game made up for that Hansen call (which happened on a Wings PP also on a marginal call), then you straight-up do not understand the rulebook.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/08/12 at 03:38 PM ET