Raleigh or Bust!

This afternoon, I will begin the trek to Raleigh, North Carolina, for coverage of this weekend’s All-Star festivities.

I have some feature ideas and interview targets in mind, which I’ll post individually as they come together, but one thing I wanted to put out there for the readers is a journal-type account of the trip, including the near ten-hour journey alongside my partner on The Bolts Beat, ESPN 1040’s Mike Corcoran. (Given our argumentative relationship on the show, if one of us doesn’t finally kill the other at some point between now and Monday, the weekend will be considered a roaring success.)

I’ll recap the ongoing revelry several times throughout each day and post those updates in the KK Hockey section of the site continually but I also thought I’d toss out the invitation to follow along on Twitter, if you aren’t doing so already, as this weekend’s happenings are sure to entertain the masses in rapid fire fashion, even while we’re on the road.

Don’t worry, if necessary, I’ll dictate to Mike, so as not to tweet and drive.

So play along, won’t you, and follow @JonJordan for constant updates in addition to checking out the regular entries beginning either really late tonight or tomorrow morning. (And if I can ever figure out how to get one of those damn Twitter widget/badge thingamajiggers embedded, we’ll have that method of correspondence too!)

I’ll be maintaining the usual Tampa Bay/Southeast focus, naturally, so in addition to Marty St. Louis and Steven Stamkos, Messrs. Staal, Green, Ovechkin, Skinner, Byfuglien and Ward will be in my sights, as will Florida’s Evgeny Dadonov and Carolina’s Jamie McBain from the rookie lot, but I’m sure to chat up a host of others as well.

We’ll be covering the player draft tomorrow night, stopping by Fan Fest on Saturday afternoon, taking in the skills competition Saturday night, the game itself, of course, on Sunday and whatever else throws itself our way.

Plus, the schedule of events provided by NHL PR includes several media mixer-type functions where I’ll get a chance to mingle with many of the other talking heads from throughout the hockey world. What’s printable out of that experience, I’ll be sure to share also.

We have a long drive ahead and a full schedule between now and the return voyage, with plenty of material at the ready. Be sure to stop by often throughout the weekend and, again, hit up the ol’ Twitter feed for constant updates on All-Star happenings (and perhaps even a little trademark JJ debauchery!)

The road awaits…

JJ
jj@kuklaskorner.com
JJ on Twitter
The Bolts Beat podcast archive

Filed in: NHL Teams, Atlanta Thrashers, Carolina Hurricanes, Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning, Washington Capitals, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: all-star+draft, all-star+weekend, nhl+all-star+game, skills+competition

Comments

Paul's avatar

Looking forward to the reports Jon, and now stopping at the numerous Hooters along the way!

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/27/11 at 01:36 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Have a fun time, JJ!

I’m not a big fan of the ASG, but I have to think it’s a really fun experience to attend because of all the events and access that you’ll have. I look forward to your posts about all that stuff.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/27/11 at 01:43 PM ET

Jon Jordan's avatar

Hooters shmooters!!!

And, Nathan, I hear ya. I was a huge ASG fan as a kid but have since joined the anti-movement, largely. It’s the pageantry of the weekend and the chance to interact with others from all over the hockey world that is my draw to the event.

Should be fun!

Stay tuned…

JJ

Posted by Jon Jordan from Tampa, FL on 01/27/11 at 01:59 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

Forget Hooters. Drive down I-40 to Chapel Hill, take exit 266 and stop by Allen & Son BBQ. Used to go there all the time in college. Outside a couple places in Lexington, its the best BBQ place in the state.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 01/27/11 at 02:36 PM ET

Primis's avatar

JJ, I know people from Miami that made it to Raleigh-area in about 9 hours straight through, we bumped into them a couple springs ago when we were in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill-Cary area… .  How the heck does it take you 10 from Tampa-St. Pete?

And BTW, get some Q while you are there.  Otherwise it’s a wasted trip. wink

Posted by Primis on 01/27/11 at 04:23 PM ET

Jon Jordan's avatar

UMFan:

I’ll keep it in mind… So many have thrown suggestions for food and drink my way in recent weeks!!!

Primis:

How the heck does it take you 10 from Tampa-St. Pete?

That was a guess. My first Tampa-to-Raleigh venture. I drive to Long Island every summer and stop in Florence, SC, which takes me nine hours (complete with frequent bathroom breaks for young’uns and/or pregnant wives). Maybe, so long as Mike doesn’t have a sissypants bladder, nine’s about right…

And BTW, get some Q while you are there.  Otherwise it’s a wasted trip.

Done and DONE!!! A surer thing than this, there never was.

JJ

Posted by Jon Jordan from Tampa, FL on 01/27/11 at 04:31 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Have a great time!  Regardless of what I think of the ASG, the atmosphere should be amazing.  I wouldn’t mind seeing the skills competition, that’s my favorite part.

I have family in Durham and it’s a great place.  Hope you have a wonderful time!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 01/27/11 at 04:55 PM ET

dougie's avatar

And BTW, get some Q while you are there.  Otherwise it’s a wasted trip.

Actually, the BBQ kiosk(s) inside the RBC Center has some better than average Q. And I’m pretty picky about the Holy Grub.

If you find yourself “downtown”, visit The Pit, most excellent. Avoid Clyde Coopers, big reputation, bad BBQ.

And while you are inside, take a look in the rafters at the NC State basketball jerseys hung in the rafters. When the facility was being proposed, I worked for the man who was instrumental in getting the facility built. A real Donald Trump wannabe.

The NC State boosters wanted a new facility, and knew there was no way in hell they could get it built with taxpayer funds. So they came up with the idea of bringing in a professional hockey team, as justification to raid the public coffers. The fellow I worked for told me, “We’ll have to put up with hockey for a few years,it will fail, then we’ll have the facility for our own.”

I wonder if he feels so clever now?

Posted by dougie on 01/27/11 at 06:16 PM ET