Raffi Torres Looking At Possible 5+ Games Suspension

via TSN,

San Jose Sharks forward Raffi Torres is scheduled for a disciplinary hearing for his hit on Jarret Stoll of the Los Angeles Kings in Game 1 on Tuesday.

The league has offered an in-person hearing, meaning Torres could be suspended for five or more games.

Stoll did not return to the game for the third period after being hit by Torres in the second period and Kings head coach Darryl Sutter said they "weren't resting" him.

watch the hit here if you missed it...

added 3:37pm,

Filed in: NHL Teams, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: raffi+torres

Comments

Savage Henry's avatar

If he’s suspended it will be more of a ‘lifetime achievement award’-type suspension.  I’m willing to bet that after the last one he was told ” you’re on a short leash, expect severe punishment for anything even remotely suspendable”

Posted by Savage Henry on 05/15/13 at 02:35 PM ET

11B4PF7 in MN's avatar

Good, I hope it is a longer suspension than last year.  Time to make a second statement on someone that doesn’t learn.  The talent level in the league is already diluted enough without losers like this taking out players that have talent—that is more applicable to the Hossa hit last year.

Posted by 11B4PF7 in MN on 05/15/13 at 02:41 PM ET

LiteWork's avatar

It looks like the shoulder was the principle point of contact but because its Torres it will get looked at.

Posted by LiteWork on 05/15/13 at 03:26 PM ET

just saying… it took 20 games for cooke to understand he had to change his style of play… and it worked.  Since then, the league has not come anywhere close to suspending anyone the same amount of games.

WHY?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 05/15/13 at 03:27 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

wow.. I just watched the hit
How can anyone say this is a suspendable hit????
I dont like Torres more than anyone else, but if this hit is bad, you might as well take 90% of the hits as suspensions, from now on…

- Stoll saw him coming
- He had all the time in the world to get himself straight
- Torris didnt charge or left his feet on the hit

Seriously, besides the fact that AGAIN, the taker of the hit went head-first trying to draw a penalty, what the hell is wrong with this hit??

Abdelkader hit was far worse, and I’m a Wings fan…  I hate the sharks, but cant get myself to see that this was anything besides a player trying to draw a suspension

Posted by Zqto on 05/15/13 at 03:35 PM ET

Paul's avatar

added to the post, Kypreos says Torres will by in NYC tomorrow for the hearing.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/15/13 at 03:38 PM ET

Complete and utter bullshit. The formula for suspension seems to be if a player gets hurt then who ever hit him is suspended. Clean hit.

Posted by Probie4Prez on 05/15/13 at 03:59 PM ET

LiteWork's avatar

added to the post, Kypreos says Torres will by in NYC tomorrow for the hearing.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/15/13 at 03:38 PM ET

GM Doug Wilson will be accompanying Torres.

Posted by LiteWork on 05/15/13 at 04:10 PM ET

pautna's avatar

Generally speaking, one doesn’t usually get concussed from hits to the shoulder. Just saying…

Posted by pautna on 05/15/13 at 04:12 PM ET

Posted by pautna on 05/15/13 at 04:12 PM ET

This.

Posted by Garth on 05/15/13 at 04:21 PM ET

I thought it was shoulder to shoulder until I saw the reverse angle. It gets slowed down at the end of the clip. youtube.com/watch?v=aeOZ01ZCY3M#action=share

Posted by lv2skor on 05/15/13 at 04:24 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Never said it was a hit to the shoulder

Posted by Zqto on 05/15/13 at 04:27 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by pautna on 05/15/13 at 04:12 PM ET

I got in a car wreck, never hit my head, got a concussion from impacting a concrete wall.  Sheer force of inertia on the body can cause a concussion.  Ryan Clowe took a Kronwall shoulder to the chest and got a concussion.

Just sayin…

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/15/13 at 04:36 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

For clarification I haven’t seen the hit yet and I have no opinion on it.  But to say you can’t get a concussion without getting hit in the head is patently false.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/15/13 at 04:37 PM ET

Ok, well. What is it then? Saying that “the taker of the hit went head-first trying to draw a penalty” is absolute conjecture, and in my, opinion, ridiculous. What player in his right mind is gonna stick his head out to get taken off to draw a penalty, especially in the current NHL era? And then adding that he is trying to draw a suspension? Get real man.  I agree with you that Stoll put himself in a venerable position and had the hit coming. However, Torres went for the hit and happen to catch his dome. If he got more body, I would have no problem with hit.

Posted by lv2skor on 05/15/13 at 04:39 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

added to the post, Kypreos says Torres will by in NYC tomorrow for the hearing.
Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/15/13 at 03:38 PM ET

An in person hearing in NY in the middle of a West Coast playoff series?

Say buh-bye, Raffi. Given the way the Kings are playing, you won’t see the ice again this season. The guy is such a stain on the game. I hope he is gone for a very very long time.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/15/13 at 04:43 PM ET

Then I’d say you don’t really understand what a concussion is or what causes one.  A concussion is caused by the brain crashing into the skull so anything that causes the head to move violently could potentially cause a concussion, including a hit to the shoulder which causes a player’s head to shake like a bobblehead.

“Concussion may be caused by impact forces, in which the head strikes or is struck by something, or impulsive forces, in which the head moves without itself being subject to blunt trauma (for example, when the chest hits something and the head snaps forward).”

And the reality is you don’t actually know that Stoll’s injury is a concussion, just like I don’t know that he wasn’t concussed.

I agree with the notion that this is more of a lifetime achievement disciplinary hearing than a direct result of this hit.  Torres didn’t go out of his way to target the head, the puck had just bounced away from Stoll, and I believe the fact that Stoll was hunched over leaning forward, thus lowering the level of his head, should be a mitigating factor.  The idea that this hit is worth 5 playoff games is a classic case of overreaction.

Posted by RoneFace on 05/15/13 at 04:44 PM ET

Nobody said you can’t get a concussion without getting hit in the head.

Posted by Garth on 05/15/13 at 04:49 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by

RoneFace

on 05/15/13 at 04:44 PM ET

Love this post, agree with everything.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/15/13 at 04:50 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by pautna on 05/15/13 at 04:12 PM ET

He’s implying that Torres hit the head BECAUSE Stoll has a concussion, hence the “just saying”

I’m saying just because Stoll has a concussion (which hasn’t been confirmed) doesn’t mean it was a hit to the head, like is implied by the statement made.

Cleary, RoneFace responded the same way so the inference is there.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/15/13 at 04:52 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

....Saying that “the taker of the hit went head-first trying to draw a penalty” is absolute conjecture, ....

Posted by lv2skor

Is it??  Watch the video again
He saw Torres coming
He had time to move away or change direction before Torres hit him
He decided to stick his head down, and take the hit, not even trying to protect himself

These are not opinions.. Its on the video, for anyone to see

What you can conclude from these, is that either he’s a “hero” and decided to take a hit to the head, to make a play, or he tried to draw a penalty

I dont believe anyone would take a hit to the head like that, not even on a playoff game… So, take your own conclusion, but mine is what I stated above

Posted by Zqto on 05/15/13 at 04:56 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Btw, this is a trend…  You can bet your ass that next year every other player around the league is gonna charge in, head down, if they keep penalizing these plays

Think about it from a defense perspective… You see a guy coming down the ice fast, heads down

What the heck are you supposed to do??  You cant catch up (he’s moving forward and you are backwards), you cant hit him (you WILL hit his head), theres a ridiculous low chance you’ll manage to take the puck as he passes by you
What exactly are your options?

Posted by Zqto on 05/15/13 at 05:00 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

don’t forget Zq, hip checks are tripping penalties now.

One step closer to an open ice track meet.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/15/13 at 05:11 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Yep, didnt even mention it, because we just dont see it anymore
Anyone know why it started beeing called as a penalty?

I loved a good hipcheck!
Konstantinov was a hipcheck master, in my opinion

Posted by Zqto on 05/15/13 at 05:14 PM ET

Posted by Savage Henry on 05/15/13 at 02:35 PM ET

This is the answer. Cooke’s hit on McDonagh, by itself, was nothing. However, it was illegal and hockey ops had simply had it with the guy. I don’t see why Torres should be treated differently, especially considering Cooke modified his behavior after this loss of funds.

What exactly are your options?

Posted by Zqto on 05/15/13 at 05:00 PM ET

This is exactly wrong. Take a second look at the hit. What you’re looking for is the route Torres takes to make the hit. He angles toward the guy’s face, not toward his body.

1. Considering Stoll’s face is a smaller target and that Stoll can more easily sidestep a hit lined up like this, this is a less defensively responsible play than if he’d lined Stoll up in the mass.

2. Torres is moving at a high rate of speed and Stoll is flatfooted. If Torres wants to take the puck, he can do so easily, but this is irrelevant because

3. this isn’t even Torres’ guy. Torres is responsible for blocking a pass to and otherwise covering #22. He abandons both of these responsibilities.

“He needs to do that or he can’t play good defense” is completely and utterly incorrect.

Posted by larry on 05/15/13 at 05:16 PM ET

He decided to stick his head down…These are not opinions

You might want to figure out what an opinion is before you start saying what is an isn’t an opinion.

Posted by Garth on 05/15/13 at 05:18 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Posted by larry

So, let me get this straight…  You cant hit a player now because hes not “your guy”???
You need to come from a certain angle, now, to make a clean hit?
Pls, stop trolling. Nothing what you said contradicts my points…

And BTW, Stoll was not flatflooted on the play… Watch it again, he was moving at least with the same speed as Torres was. Diferent directions, but he was definitly moving

Posted by Zqto on 05/15/13 at 05:37 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Posted by Garth

Watch it again… He saw Torres coming at him at least about 2 seconds before the hit
You gonna tell me you see a huge guy coming to hit you, and you cant move your head out of the way in less than 2 seconds??
Bullcrap

Posted by Zqto on 05/15/13 at 05:38 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Illegal hit. It’s a definite charge. Dude covers some ground before the check. He has the opportunity to take the body, but ends up a bit high and a bit too in line with Stoll’s head. Reminded me a lot of Abby’s hit - not the worst in the world, and maybe didn’t warrant a multi-game playoff suspension. But still - it was illegal and it caused the damage. The biggest factor helping Torres is that LA is apparently the one team in California that doesn’t flop, dive, and embellish at every opportunity. The biggest factor hurting Torres is that he’s Raffi Torres. Sure seems like they’re going to be sending him home for some time.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/15/13 at 05:42 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

These are not opinions.. Its on the video, for anyone to see

Posted by Zqto on 05/15/13 at 04:56 PM ET

I gotta disagree. He’s reaching to play the puck in his defensive zone - not something he can do upright. It’s not his responsibility to avoid a charge. Purposefully or not, Torres lined the hit up wrong. He could have gotten more square and hit him center-mass, versus going a bit high and a bit too close to the head/shoulder area.

Your point about these suspensions leaving defensemen with no option isn’t necessarily applicable, either. 1) Torres had other options and chose the riskier, something the NHL has demonstrated they’ll punish; 2) Stoll was reaching for a quasi-loose puck in the defensive zone. His job is to at least get that puck past the blue line. Standing up to avoid being hit in the head means he doesn’t get that job done. This isn’t a case of a guy admiring his pass, or charging across the blue line with his head down. It’s a guy doing what he has to, and having his vulnerability taken advantage of.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/15/13 at 05:51 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Meh, I give up…

There is no “vulnerability” on this league… Or at least there should’nt be. People make that up when they suck
If he had to lean that bad to get to the puck first, it wasn’t his to take
Grow up, fight for the puck, and dont complain if you had your head down
Next time, position yourself better, and dont give a chance for someone to rip your head off

You guys REALLY shouldn’t be taking this lesson from someone born in Brazil…  Shame on you
I love this sport, and part of it is physical contact, but this “oh dont touch me when Im vulnerable! I’ll tell daddy, I mean, the NHL, to suspend you!” shit that has been going on for the last few years is killing all the awesomeness of Hockey

Posted by Zqto on 05/15/13 at 06:00 PM ET

Better keep trying to get it straight. You’re the one who’s saying without allowing a guy to line up another guy’s head he’s unable to make a defensive play. Ignoring safety, Torres did the most defensively irresponsible thing that can be done in this situation—try to make a low percentage hit on someone else’s guy. Even if he’d just gone to the bench, that would have been more responsible, x and o wise, because his replacement would have fresh legs and could cover pretty much anyone.

You can abandon your guy and hit someone else’s all you want. What you cannot do is claim you were making a defensive play in doing that.

You need to come from a certain angle, now, to make a clean hit?
Pls, stop trolling. Nothing what you said contradicts my points…

Yep. See suspension video on Andy Sutton for a hit on Landeskog ~ 18 months ago. If you don’t like that one, try the one on Clarke MacArthur. Might remember it because Abdelkaider had a laughable dive on the play.

That you are suspended if you have time to pick a route and choose one that angles you at the guy’s head, but not his body should not be news to anybody at this point. countless guys have been suspended for this, starting with Brender Smith.

Posted by Zqto on 05/15/13 at 05:37 PM ET

Stoll was gliding at a near stop. Torres was flying. The idea that Stoll was about to dust him is preposterous. Stoll doesn’t skate like Grabner and Torres doesn’t skate like John Scott.

Posted by larry on 05/15/13 at 07:08 PM ET

Its not dont touch me, its hit me legally. Easily could have taken the body in a different way. People are tearing you apart because your arguments for why its a legal hit are mostly outlandish. If you stopped at “dont put yourself in that vulnerable position”, ya you got a point. Once you went off on saying he was looking to get hit in the head to draw a suspension, your credit goes out the window. Also, I don’t think he ever saw him coming when I look at the video. I’m not going to argue that point because most times people already choose their thoughts on an event the second the saw it happen. They then use pieces of the video that help validate their initial reaction/thoughts on the event. I thought is was a clean hit, until I saw the reverse angle that was released today.

Posted by lv2skor on 05/15/13 at 07:15 PM ET

If he had to lean that bad to get to the puck first, it wasn’t his to take
Grow up, fight for the puck

Ah beautiful.  If the puck doesn’t come to you it wasn’t meant to be, but you’ve got to be a man and fight to get the puck!

If you need the participants to give each other brain damage in order to be able to enjoy hockey, maybe you should stop watching hockey.

Posted by Garth on 05/15/13 at 07:28 PM ET

pautna's avatar

@RoneFace - Can you give me examples of players that have been concussed in the last two years by shoulder to shoulder hits please? And, “Then I’d say you don’t really understand what a concussion is or what causes one.” Really? I’ve had three. How many have you had to make you such an expert? Or are you a head injury specialist?

I chose my words very carefully by using terms such as ‘Generally speaking’ and ‘usually’. But I guess it was too subtle and nuanced for some.

Finally, I can guarantee that Stoll has a concussion.

Posted by pautna on 05/15/13 at 08:06 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

This is why I think he’s suspended.  If you look at Torres hits (I linked several in the previous threat Paul linked above) in the past he repeatedly puts himself in a bad position by aiming for the head.  He just doesn’t line up and try to hit the body on so many of these hits and the NHL has probably just had enough of it by now.  He needs to learn to hit differently, just like Kronwall has done and just like Cooke has done.

The Gryba hit was shoulder to chest at point of impact.  The Abdelkader-Lydman hit was shoulder to shoulder.

Concussions are strange things, as you probably know having had a few.  Sometimes you get lucky and don’t get concussed by a hit that might otherwise cause a concussion.  Sometimes you don’t get lucky and something innocuous gets real serious in a hurry.  I’ve had upwards of seven concussions and I always thought I was lucky because it seemed like, at the time, it was only the post-concussion syndrome (Lindross, LaFontaine, Aikman, Young) guys who were REALLY affected by having your bell rung.  I kept playing, though, and I now see the effects of it daily.  We really don’t understand them well enough yet, but shoulder-to-shoulder can absolutely result in a concussion IF the head whips around properly.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/15/13 at 10:17 PM ET