Put The Game On Versus

from Pete Dougherty of the Times Union,

Please, ESPN, won’t you come back to the NHL?

Tonight on Versus, something that has happened throughout the Stanley Cup playoffs, Bill Patrick welcomed viewers back to the studio at the conclusion of the Penguins-Canadiens game.

“We’ll be taking you to the third period in Detroit, as the Red Wings face off against the San Jose Sharks in Game 4 of their series in just a few moments, but first, back to the highlights of the game you just saw.”

The italics are mine. Why do we want highlights from a game we just saw when we know another game is going on?

Such backward thinkng is typical of Versus and the NHL, which needs to find a new cable television partner.

continued

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, VERSUS, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

hear hear

don’t show replays of the first two periods of the Wings/Sharks…you know, to get people up to speed…or anything.

that would make too much sense.

but remember, according to an A2Y poster who called Versus, Versus was told by the league to have the Penguins on as much as possible.

big surprise.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/07/10 at 12:19 AM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

That is actually annoying.  They do that on TSN as well.

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 05/07/10 at 12:22 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Then, there are the starting times. The NHL is snakebit because a team in the Western Conference happens to be in the Eastern time zone. Any game in Detroit gives the NHL two games in the East.

Still, do the starting times have to be only a half hour apart? The NBA would never do that. Why not start one game at 6 and another at 8:30? Or at least stagger the games 90 minutes.

Hmmmm…....Perhaps moving the Wings into the East and Atlanta to the West since technically Atlanta is farther west than Detroit?

How can this be you say????

Check the Latitude/Longitude coordinates on a map.

Oh well Atlanta, Nash , Tampa , Florida will all fold in the next few years anyway, and then the Wings will be back in the East. grin

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/07/10 at 01:47 AM ET

Better that it be joined in progress after an NHL game with highlights than ignored and joined after the NBA!

Posted by timbits on 05/07/10 at 02:12 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Columbus is an eastern team in the West as well. Why does everyone forget about columbus in the postseason? haha.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/07/10 at 09:45 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

You know, Versus has really made strides, let’s give them some credit.

They still have a ways to go, but this season was a dramatic improvement, so if they continue on this trajectory, next season we might finally get what feels like a proper, professional, good NHL telecast.

Hell, the thing we’re complaining about here only exists because Versus got their act together this season and decided to start showing additional coverage. So, I’m just thankful they figured that one out. Perhaps next season they’ll figure out to cut right to the coverage.

Just like how this year they shrunk the scoreboard from “massive” to “a little less massive,” so perhaps next year they’ll shrink it to “a reasonable size like the one Fox Sports Net uses.”

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/07/10 at 10:18 AM ET

I wish Center Ice woud actually be allowed to cover the playoffs beyond the first round, so that I, you know the actual fan, could decide which game I want to watch. Do I need to continue to watch a third period blowout when a great game is just underway?

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 05/07/10 at 12:13 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Nathan from Jonny Ericsson’s ice cream truck on 05/07/10 at 08:18 AM ET

Very well-stated Nathan.

I know Versus started off very poorly when it was OLN, but it’s slowly gotten better, and the NHL is their premier programming and they treat it as such.  The truth is, Versus treats the NHL better than ESPN would treat it… or that ESPN even treats the NBA right now.

The tinfoil hat society certainly banged one home with the revelation that the NHL has ordered Versus to keep Crosby’s games on the airwaves at all times.

Posted by Primis on 05/07/10 at 12:27 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

CenterIce gets games through the second round.

Whether your cable provider makes space to park the games is a different story, I suppose. But CenterIce has them, so if you’re not getting them from your provider, I would call and demand my $200 back.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/07/10 at 12:29 PM ET

Nathan—Right on with the Center Ice comments.  One of the reasons I ponied up the $160 this season was because I had hope that the Sharks wouldn’t flame out in the playoffs this year, and knowing how things are in the Western Conference and the likelihood that Sharks games wouldn’t make it onto Versus, it might be a good investment.  And believe me, with the way their playoff games have not been on Versus in the first two rounds, I can safely say that’s some of the best money I’ve spent in a looooong time.

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 05/07/10 at 01:27 PM ET

This is my first year with Center Ice.  The regular season was nice, but being able to watch any playoff game I want has been worth the price of admission.

Reminds me of the days of ESPN/ESPN2…

Posted by EJ Agricola on 05/07/10 at 01:40 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I am in Northeast Ohio, but got to hear Kenny and Mickey call the Wings game on Center Ice last night. I’m so grateful for Center Ice. If I had to watch the Pens/Habs game, I might have just gone outside and cleaned the garage.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/07/10 at 02:05 PM ET

@redxblack: ditto.  If it ever comes to that, I’ll come and help you out.

Posted by EJ Agricola on 05/07/10 at 04:34 PM ET