Pressure On The Penguins

from CBC Sports,

With the series even, the first playoff game in six years will be played at Nassau Coliseum on Sunday.

The pressure will most certainly be on the Penguins come Sunday.

Unanimous favorites to emerge from the conference, the Penguins have lost three consecutive series and will feel significant pressure should they fall in Game 3.

Troubling to the Penguins was not so much that they fell to the Islanders but rather the way in which they lost. There is little question that the traits exhibited in this game were remindful of the Penguins' meltdown against Philadelphia last season.

Consider:

The Penguins blew a 3-1 lead against the Islanders. They blew leads of 3-0 and 3-1 at home in the first two games against the Flyers last season, losing both games.

Marc-Andre Fleury allowed a horrendous goal for the New York game-winner in the third period. Forward Kyle Okposo missed the net, his shot caroming off the boards behind Fleury.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

I said before the playoffs that I thought Bylsma would be the biggest impediment to the Pens reaching the cup finals. last night was a frightening reminder. The mindless line juggling (not the juggling but what he thought were good juggled combos), the lack of adjustments . . . it was all there again.

BTW, why Malkin didn’t get more minutes early in the game, when he clearly was going, is beyond me.

Posted by Evilpens on 05/04/13 at 07:01 AM ET

phillyd's avatar

EP, I saw the same thing. When the matchups came out, I thought the Isles were probably the worst opponent the Pens could’ve drawn in the first round. They remind me too much of the Flyers from last year. They can play that “get under your skin” type of game which seems to just unnerve the Pens (or perhaps only Bylsma and Fleury?). Last night I saw them engaging in chirping after the play and Malkin was clearly frustrated towards the end of the game with the chippiness the Isles were playing against him.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/04/13 at 08:03 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

The Problem is the Coaching staff is 3 asskissers,  there is no one there to play the bad cop to Bylsma’s good cop

MAF has always been flighty, He was standing on his head in the 1st half of the game & then became the old Bad Fleury where he overplays shots wide of the net, But then again he has Gilles Meloche as his goalie coach.

Meloche is a Goalie coach as much as I am ! the reason he is still ther is he is a Mario Drinking buddy

Posted by Evilpens on 05/04/13 at 08:23 AM ET

The turning point of last night’s game?  A fight.

Where are all the anti-fight pundits now?  Oh yes, waiting on a knockout to justify another article.

Posted by Siggy on 05/04/13 at 08:44 AM ET

pensfan29's avatar

The turning point was Bylsma’s timeout. Pens had momentum. F the icing, it was a bad call

Posted by pensfan29 on 05/04/13 at 08:57 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

The “Turning Point” was a Fight?? the Isles had 20 *#$%@& shots in the 1st Pd. The Turning Point is The Isles Coaching staff once again adjusted their game & Bylsma & Company never ever adjust their game plan till the offseason

Posted by Evilpens on 05/04/13 at 09:28 AM ET

The Pens were outworked and outplayed by the Isles for most of the game.  That won’t happen again this series.  That was the main issues last night.

Coaching was bad, but it’s a moot point if the Pens put in some type of consistent effort.  They were lucky to be up 3-1 when they were.  I doubt Bylsma told them to stop hitting on the forecheck, to let the Isles crash the net at will, and continue to turn the puck over in the neutral zone.

Granted, DB does things that make absolute no sense to me.  The Sutter line matched up well with the Tavares line, but then he puts Crosby’s line out there against them.  Beau Bennett has looked great, but he sat most of the 2nd and 3rd.  And while I don’t mind putting Sid or Malkin with the 4th line on occasion, the Pens now have 4 solid lines at even strength.  It seemed to happen way too much last night.

It’s only one game, and we’ll see how they respond on Sunday.  I expect a much better performance all around and if losing game 2 causes them to realize to put a consistent effort together, then so be it.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 05/04/13 at 09:39 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

the Isle’s took away the walls & stop the Retarded Stretch pass that is the Bylsma “System” That is why the “Turned The Puck Over”

The 4th Line is a Black Hole with whoever they put between The Worthless twins Adams & Glass

Posted by Evilpens on 05/04/13 at 09:59 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

Omg pens fans. Its like turning on the lights and seein cockroaches everywhere. JK I don’t hate you guys. That what I have Hawk fans for.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:28 AM ET

DAN M's avatar

At least u guys have some sort of brain. For that I commend you.  I liked the Vokoun signing. Sigh I wish we had a back-up.

Posted by DAN M on 05/04/13 at 10:30 AM ET