Preparing The Canucks For The Future

from Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province,

When next season begins, the Vancouver Canucks will once again be a strong contender to make the playoffs — and if things go well, perhaps even challenge for the lead at times in their newly realigned environment.

They’ll still have outstanding goaltending, and a decent back end, and general manager Mike Gillis will have done something, anything, to improve this popgun offence which has literally choked the life out of what was once a promising shortened 2013 season.

They’ll still have Ryan Kesler — although who knows in what condition — the deteriorating Sedins, David Booth, Alex Burrows, etc., which is fine for the regular season, and perhaps it might even be refreshing for next year’s team to be free of the weighty illusion that they are Cup contenders.

But really, for management, next year is not the issue.

What they should be trying to do is position this team such that in the very near future it doesn’t become the equivalent of the Calgary Flames.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

henrymalredo's avatar

I’ve never understood why Vancouver hasn’t dumped Luongo for whatever they can get.  If Vancouver was a rebuilding team, I could understand them holding out to get a good return.  But due to the goaltending market, Luongo’s NTC and his contract, they’re never going to get a great return.  They might as well get something and use the money they save to fill holes on the team.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 05/07/13 at 09:42 AM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

I would assume their coach is getting the ax too. heh.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 05/07/13 at 09:57 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 05/07/13 at 10:42 AM ET

I think the answer is simply that they don’t really believe in Schneider.  I think that’s the real hold-up.

Posted by Primis on 05/07/13 at 10:09 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Canucks giving up already?

I have maintained for the last several years that the problem in Vancouver is the coach.  I am not a fan of Alain Vigneault and I do not think he is the right coach for this team.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/07/13 at 10:22 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

I misread the headline as “Preparing the Canucks for Failure”

same thing

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/07/13 at 11:49 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I think AV is a good coach actually.

I like how he utilizes players to their strengths.  He really is best player for the job type.

Flubbed a bit on the goalie switch, sometimes if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, but I think he was trying to keep Scheider fresh too. Win some, lose some.

But I don’t think he’s a bad coach at all.  I’d take him over 25 other coaches in this league and three of the others are or were Detroit coaches/assistants.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/07/13 at 12:23 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Vancouver’s window is probably closing because while they have some good youth in their system, none of it is high-end.  When the Sedins are done there really is nobody in line to step in.  They’re likely going to have to get a good lottery pick or two and hope they don’t whiff (which is how they got the Sedins).

Posted by Primis on 05/07/13 at 12:57 PM ET

Primis's avatar

So sure, there are some few NHL fans who experience ‘hockey’ as opposed to ‘NHL hockey as demonstrated by their own local team and whoever they are playing that night’, but they are a tiny slice of the pie of NHL viewers that’s already a really small pie to begin with.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 05/07/13 at 02:07 PM ET

I still think you have it backwards.  There are very few hockey fans whose interest only lies in their team.  The nature and culture of the game is such that you often fall more for the game than your own team.

My own mother refuses to watch or have anything to do with sports, save for hockey.  And she is a HUGE hockey fan, very knowledgable, and will watch anything at any level.  She would be just as happy to plop down in the stands to watch a high school hockey game as anything ( inkw this because I’ve been with my folks when we’ve done just that).

She is not the exception, or the outlier.

Hockey fans watch hockey because… *fist raise* Hockey!!!  I can’t and won’t comment about how it works in Canada because that’s a different cultural thing entirely.

Posted by Primis on 05/07/13 at 01:15 PM ET

Primis's avatar

WTH, why did that comment get cross-posted?

Posted by Primis on 05/07/13 at 01:20 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Primis, looking into it now.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/07/13 at 01:22 PM ET