P.K. Subban Becomes A Bench Warmer

from Sean Gordon of the Globe and Mail,

One game on the pines? Sending a message. Two? Making sure it was understood. But three? That’s creating a story where there was none.

Sure, Subban committed a howler that allowed the Edmonton Oilers to tie a game they had no right being involved in. But on the overtime goal – for which the commentariat has also fingered our guy – Mike Cammalleri was free not to bobble the puck that Subban put on his stick.

Subban, being a rookie, will be prone to mistakes. That he’s flamboyant and drives opponents mental draws greater attention to him, and thus magnifies the boo-boos.

But. But, but, but.

Seems to us there’s no rational explanation for keeping the team’s most talented defenceman out of the lineup, other than bloody-mindedness on the part of a certain coach.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: p.k.+subban

Comments

Primis's avatar

Haynesworth and the Redskins, anyone?

Not saying it’s that level, but that’s the perfect example of “I don’t care who the——you are, I’m the head coach and you’re just a player, and if I say you sit, you sit”.  Sounds like Subban has some redemption to earn to get out of Chateau Bow Wow.

It’s very possible there’s more to this than just what Gordon, or any of us, knows.  There often is.

Posted by Primis on 12/07/10 at 04:53 PM ET

...except maybe the fact that he’s been in the press box for two straight games and the Canadiens won both of those games.

Why change the lineup when you’ve been winning with the lineup you’re using?

As a Red Wings fan, I didn’t see the point of subbing in Kris Draper just because he was healthy, since we were enjoying a three game winning streak at the time.

Do I think that putting Draper in there was what cost the Wings their winning streak?  No.  But at the same time, why mess with chemistry that’s working for you?

Posted by Garth on 12/07/10 at 05:28 PM ET

I think the following quotes from this story are quite telling about this situation/Subban:

He’s a good kid and he gets along with everybody on the team,” said fellow defenceman Josh Gorges.  “His enthusiasm about coming to the rink and playing is fun.  Guys will jab at him, but that’s just friendly and for fun.  There’s definitely nothing wrong with the way that he acts in the ROOM.”

Posted by NathanBC on 12/07/10 at 05:43 PM ET

”If he wants me to watch from the press box, that’s what I’m going to have to do,” said Subban.  “He’s a guy that’s been around for a long time, he’s a guy that’s been successful in the National Hockey League and is well respected.  I’m not going to dissect or analyze what he’s telling me to do; I’m just going to follow instructions.”

I actually saw a video of that interview. That looks rather benign in print, but he didn’t seem at all sincere about anything he said when I could see him and listen to the tone of voice.

Then again, the media in a market like Toronto or Montreal probably raises the blood pressure more than it would in, say, Nashville.

Posted by StevieSteve on 12/07/10 at 06:28 PM ET

That looks rather benign in print..”
Posted by StevieSteve on 12/07/10 at 04:28 PM ET

Actually, I thought it was quite damning in print, obviously moreso now that you mention his demeanor.

He’s pretty much saying “I don’t agree with the coach, I’m not willing to listen to any possible reasons this is happening, whether from somebody else or within myself, but I’m going to follow his orders because it’s my job, and if I don’t do it, I don’t get paid.”

Posted by NathanBC on 12/07/10 at 07:46 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Sure seems like people are making a mountain out of a molehill on this story.

Patrick Kane punching a cab driver was less of a story than this.

Young players—especially D—are more prone to the big mistake, be it a dumb penalty or a bad turnover. if they want to let one of their most talented players rot on the bench, let ‘em, maybe then he’ll want to leave town and my team can snap him up. I’d sure love to see Subban on the Wings in a few years when he’s a RFA and Nick Lidstrom is hanging them up.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/08/10 at 10:34 AM ET