Pierre McGuire A Great Match For GM Job In Montreal

from MitchMelnick.com,

I’m not going to step aside over some supposed professional code. I sincerely believe that Pierre McGuire would do a terrific job as an NHL General Manager. And I think it’s about bloody time somebody in this town talked to him about the GM post of the Montreal Canadiens.

I believe that Pierre is the best hockey analyst in the business. Almost too good, it turns out, to return to work for an NHL franchise. He revolutionized the way the game is now described on television and more importantly, what hockey fans expect out of a telecast. The energy and passion he possesses is obvious. His knowledge of virtually any player anywhere on the planet, let alone an NHL ice surface, reveals his strong roots as a scout. That knowledge has never wavered from the moment I first met him, sitting in the old balcony at the Montreal Forum during a Canadiens playoff match up that I have since forgotten everything about except for the guy I was sitting next to. Regular members of the hockey beat would moan and groan about being dislodged from their regular press box seats at playoff time when numbers of the working media would swell beyond capacity. I eagerly would give up my seat above center ice and actually request a move to the balcony because I knew that’s where a lot of scouts would find their assigned seats. I figured I might learn something. And that’s how I discovered Pierre McGuire.

read on

Melnick is a sports radio host in Montreal for those who may ask.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: pierre+mcguire

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

D’OH! even though I hate Montreal Fans I wouldn’t even wish that on them haha LOL

Posted by Evilpens on 02/01/12 at 11:10 AM ET

This is great news… for Buffalo, Toronto, Boston and Ottawa.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 02/01/12 at 11:28 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Whatever gets him off of television.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/01/12 at 11:39 AM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“Whatever gets him off of television”

This.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 02/01/12 at 11:42 AM ET

Sure, fine, whatever… just get him off my tv

Posted by tj77 from usa on 02/01/12 at 12:23 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Whatever gets him off of television.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/01/12 at 09:39 AM ET

+346534

Posted by Primis on 02/01/12 at 12:26 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

First move: acquires Mike Richards. Names him captain.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 02/01/12 at 01:05 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I think the DCFC has a new president!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/01/12 at 01:07 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“First move: acquires Mike Richards. Names him captain”

Second move:  makes sure all arena doors are closed and locked to avoid any wind-aided goals against.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 02/01/12 at 01:15 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I think we’ve found the only person alive who likes the Douche Canoe.  I’m with JJ., what ever gets him off of my television.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/01/12 at 02:04 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

I feel sick.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/01/12 at 02:28 PM ET

@JJ:  +19.

Plus, it would get the hounds off of Jim Nill’s yard.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 02/01/12 at 02:49 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

I’m assuming that the DC speaks french so he has that going for him. Despite his annoying personality, he does have a Jeopardy like knowledge of the major junior hockey circuit down to the most obscure fact. Whether or not that translates to good talent evaluation and the ability to create and maintain a hockey team, I don’t know. Sure would be good to get him off of my tv though.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 02/01/12 at 04:41 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 02/01/12 at 02:41 PM ET

Well, we do know.

He’s been a GM and Coach before, with the Whalers.  As a GM, he wasn’t any good, and as a coach he was so bad that they brought back the guy they moved out in the first place (Paul Holmgren) to replace him.

Yyeeeaaahhhh….

Posted by Primis on 02/01/12 at 05:04 PM ET

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 02/01/12 at 02:41 PM ET

Came to say this.

Not only does this get him off my television, but I must admit to being curious as to whether an encyclopedic knowledge of Canadian junior players at the GM position—everything from the history of Matt Duchene’s stick curvatures to the most minute details of Corey Perry’s favorite food at age 10—would result in any type of advantages for the franchise employing him. Probably not, but it’s something I wouldn’t mind finding out, not unlike the “fat goalie” theory.

And it’s not like Gainey isn’t already screwing everything up, what with trading Ribeiro for nothing, signing defensemen who don’t ever play to prohibitive deals, and flipping Ryan McDonagh for the thought-to-be-immovable Gomez contract.

Posted by larry on 02/01/12 at 06:54 PM ET

I don’t think Pierre was ever the whalers’ GM. I think it went Ed Johnston->Brian Burke->Carolina

Posted by larry from pitt on 02/01/12 at 06:59 PM ET

I think second guessing is a lot easier than coming up with a plan.  A lot of announcers are flops as management.  Matt Millen?  I also remember what a bi polar GM Phil Esposito was.  Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t recall too many successful transitions from commentator to GM or coach.  The reverse is usually true.

Posted by 13 user names on 02/01/12 at 08:42 PM ET

Davidson in St Louis. Might be more.

Posted by larry from pitt on 02/02/12 at 05:09 PM ET