petshark: talking stick

I’d like to introduce petshark as our San Jose Sharks blogger.

Even though she is not well-known within the hockey blogging community, I have a feeling she will be in few short months.

-Paul

I want to thank Kukla’s Korner for letting me through the door.  I’m very grateful.  I’m also a little terrified and excited and confused and hopeful.

I’m female, living in the Northern California wine country.  I’ve been blogging, mostly about hockey, for a little over a year, but my blog got very little traffic. That was comfortable and familiar.  Am I ready to be here?  I dunno, but if you wait until you’re ready you never are. Just in case, I’ll hang on to my talking stick, my pen name.

I first noticed hockey in 1998. I’m one of those people, the ones who find their way to the NHL through the Olympic back door. It wasn’t just the Olympics. It was also the Czech Republic and, later, working night shifts at a hospital. That’s where I did my first travel adventuring- the Czech Republic, not a hospital.  Because of the night shifts (at the hospital), the only event showing when I got home was hockey. The Czechs were winning.  It seemed like the absolutely most significant and important thing I had ever witnessed.  Yes, it was also very late at night.

I’d never had even the remotest interest in professional sports.  Never gave them a thought. You could say I was blindsided.  I watched a lot of hockey on tv after that.  I have the tape to prove it, around here somewhere.

I went to a couple of NHL games, with people who remember the experience primarily as “cold, and the seats were uncomfortable.  I didn’t remember it that way but they tell me that’s what it was like.  I couldn’t get anyone to go with me to see Gretzky play. A friend told me, while declining to go: “Oh, Gretzky’s always talking about retiring. He never will.”

I don’t wait for my friends anymore.

At the time, I was young. I didn’t like going places alone, especially loud, crowded buildings for events I did not understand.  DVRs didn’t exist. VHS tapes were unwieldy.  I lost touch with hockey.  I went back to trying to do The Things Of Weight and Gravity That One Ought To Accomplish by some deadline or another.

I don’t know if I would have come back to hockey if Jagr hadn’t come to find me.  No, he didn’t really, but he surprised me by being on tv in the last Olympics.  It was like bumping into an old friend at a minimart while driving across Nevada:

“Hockey! You’re alive!  My god, what have you been doing all these years?  I want to know everything!

“There was a lockout? How awful for you. Still haven’t figured out the concussion thing?  Oh, honey, you have to sort that out!  The Sharks are a good team? One of the best? Now I know you’re making fun of me.”

And so it went.

This blog won’t be about Jagr, it will be about the Sharks.  They were there in the beginning too, even if I didn’t get to know those Sharks very well.  I know these Sharks pretty well, at a fan arm’s length.

I will hardly ever use stats, because I can’t count. I often digress and talk about the experience of watching a hockey game.  I think I’m still trying to figure out why I like it.

I don’t play hockey, I can’t skate, I have no desire to do so. I like to watch, like in “Being There,” the way Chance meant it, not the way Eve understood it. If that’s weird then the NHL and NBC are in big trouble.

I do get off the couch to ride and train horses.  That’s just the same as playing hockey, right?

I’m on Twitter too, @petshark47.  Be forewarned, I am also a Flyers fan.  It may be a struggle, but I will keep Jagr and his new team out of this blog.  Twitter, however, is a free-for-all in a snake pit.

Filed in: NHL Teams, San Jose Sharks, petshark, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Baroque's avatar

Welcome to KK. Glad that you stopped waiting around for friends to actually do something with you. Waiting sucks.

I’m sure you will be great.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/24/11 at 04:37 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Welcome!  Have fun.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/24/11 at 04:43 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

I don’t play hockey, I can’t skate, I have no desire to do so.

Those who can’t - they blog about it. And in my experience the ones who can’t seem to be some of the best bloggers around hockey. Welcome to KK, can’t wait for your take on Jumbo, Patty and the boys.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 07/24/11 at 04:51 PM ET

Marc Siciliano's avatar

A SJ blogger who’s also a Flyers fan!?!?!

*swoon*

Signed,
The new Flyers blogger who’s also a sharks fan. Stop by anytime!

Posted by Marc Siciliano on 07/24/11 at 05:05 PM ET

Mike Chen's avatar

Welcome to the blogging community! Best of luck!

Posted by Mike Chen on 07/24/11 at 05:06 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

aw gawd, please no sharkies

Posted by Rdwings28 on 07/24/11 at 05:06 PM ET

Let me give you the official KK welcome:

“Why are you posting here troll?  You know this is a Red Wings blog so why are you coming here to talk about the Sharks?  The Sharks have only eliminated the Wings in consecutive years because of Bettman and the leaguewide conspiracy against the Wings.  If the officiating was even remotely fair the Wings would have won every game.  Go find your own blog.  Stupid troll.”

Hopefully that makes you feel right at home.

Posted by RoneFace on 07/24/11 at 05:10 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

seriously Paul?  Hope this is good, glad you found a crush too Marc, good to see a flyers and sharks blog good for somethin’, hah!

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/24/11 at 05:23 PM ET

Reggie Dunlop's avatar

FInally some SJ love on KK.  Nice intro Petshark, glad you found a spot here.

Posted by Reggie Dunlop on 07/24/11 at 05:29 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Hopefully that makes you feel right at home.

Posted by RoneFace on 07/24/11 at 03:10 PM ET

As you can see, it’s an uphill battle with your own fans.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/24/11 at 05:31 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Welcome to KK.  I look forward to your content!

——————————————-

As for other things….

I did, and I wasn’t picking a fight merely stating my opinion.  Because I had the audacity to suggest the Wings might not be the greatest ever in some capacity you decided to be an asshead.  It’s not possible that I just disagree with you, it must be that I have a bias against the Wings.  Think about that.

Posted by RoneFace on 07/13/11 at 12:27 AM ET

Hey!  Remember that one time you tried to tell us you didn’t have an ax to grind against the Wings/Wings fans/Mickey Redmond?

Fast forward two weeks….

Let me give you the official KK welcome:

Hopefully that makes you feel right at home.

Posted by RoneFace on 07/24/11 at 03:10 PM ET

Oops… I guess that cat is out of the bag.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/24/11 at 05:36 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Let’s keep this strictly on topic folks.  Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/24/11 at 05:40 PM ET

Posted by bezukov from Wings Fan in exile: Columbus, OH on 07/24/11 at 03:36 PM ET

That’s hilarious.  By taking offense you actually proved my point.  Well played sir.

Posted by RoneFace on 07/24/11 at 06:05 PM ET

petshark's avatar

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome all!  I was going to say “oh good, squabbles already!” But yes, by all means, stay on topic. Wait, what’s the topic?  Me?  Must change that.  How about “why hasn’t Doug signed Wellwood yet? Put us out of our roster suspense misery already. What, or who, is he waiting for?”

Oh, and I guess I need a Flyers-free avatar.

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 07/24/11 at 06:18 PM ET

I don’t really think Wellwood fits on a line with Handzus and Mitchell but they could certainly do worse than signing him to a cheap contract and looking for an upgrade closer to the deadline.

Posted by RoneFace on 07/24/11 at 06:21 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by RoneFace on 07/24/11 at 04:05 PM ET

I’m not sure pointing out your obvious hypocrisy was taking offense.  Looks like you made his point more than he made your point.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 07/24/11 at 06:22 PM ET

KelseyAnn's avatar

Welcome to the KK blogging community Petshark! Hope you enjoy it here!

Posted by KelseyAnn from we have an NHL team here?, Arizona on 07/24/11 at 06:24 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by petshark on 07/24/11 at 04:18 PM ET

I’m happy to see more content on all teams, even if they are teams I’m less than crazy about.  Its good to get other perspectives, it keeps things fresh.  And please don’t feel anything less than welcome as far as I’m concerned.  The Sharks are a great team with dedicated fans, and I’m sure you’re a great part of that!

As for the other topic of discussion, I’m gonna respect Paul’s wishes.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/24/11 at 06:25 PM ET

Hey Petshark, Glad to see you branching out into foreign territory. Good Luck

Posted by Fugazi from East Bay on 07/24/11 at 06:41 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

Not a Sharks fan by any means but Welcome!

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 07/24/11 at 07:03 PM ET

petshark's avatar

Thanks again for the welcomes.  And sorry for going off topic up there.  I sometimes have trouble coloring within the lines.

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 07/24/11 at 07:16 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

+19 to bezukov, same here

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/24/11 at 08:06 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Your puppy hates life in that jersey…he’d look better in red.  smile

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/24/11 at 08:22 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Välkommen to KK., Petshark !

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 07/24/11 at 08:41 PM ET

CPSLOgoalie31's avatar

Good to see another Sharks fan!  Welcome aboard.

Posted by CPSLOgoalie31 from San Luis Obispo, CA on 07/24/11 at 09:26 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

Wellwood promised to talk with Doug as soon as he came back from a doughnut run, and well… he got distracted. Oops. smile

Easy jokes are easy.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/25/11 at 03:34 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

The Emperor is going to need a bigger boat. Welcome aboard.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 07/25/11 at 09:19 AM ET

holly sheesh
Seriously pet? Now’ you’re a KK blogger? Jeez

Posted by pimpzilla from around on 07/25/11 at 03:17 PM ET

Welcome Petshark! I love NorCal - make it up there a couple of times per year and hope to live in the Bay area some day. Looking forward to the posts, good luck!

Posted by Jesters Dead on 07/25/11 at 03:34 PM ET