Perhaps The NHL Should Consider The Players Are Tired

The fanbase is probably too, why not just take a break?  Thursday, Friday and Saturday, practice on Sunday and games start Monday.

It is all about making the sponsors happy, all you have to look at is the corporate naming attached to the skill events.

I don't know of one fan who is scheduling their weekend around all the All-Star stuff.

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Perhaps the players should suck it up and attend the all-star festivities and interact with the young fans that the event is for.

And is anyone really supposed to believe that playing a half-speed exhibition game in the middle of a week off is going to be what prevents Ovechkin from leading his team to the Stanley Cup?

Give me a *#$%@& break.

Posted by Garth on 01/28/16 at 10:09 AM ET

Give me a *#$%@& break.

Posted by Garth on 01/28/16 at 09:09 AM ET

If he’s got some kind of a nagging injury, then yes I do believe it. And especially the mental aspect of it. To just get away from the game for a few days, it could be huge

Posted by George0211 on 01/28/16 at 10:39 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I agree Paul.
And making them attend doesn’t make the spectacle any better.

However, I do agree with Garth that the younger fans need to be considered. My 9YO son loves the skills competition and to some degree the game.

Still, I think a compromise can be made. I suggested in another thread to make the Winter Classic the big NHL EVENT to appease sponsors.
Make it a week-long celebration with a skills competition the day before or the morning of the WC game.

Most of the NHLers get a week off, the game actually means something (and more importantly they actually want to play in the game) and the kids and sponsors are satisfied.

As is, the current setup stinks.
The fans don’t like it and neither do the players.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/28/16 at 10:59 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Give me a *#$%@& break.

Posted by Garth on 01/28/16 at 09:09 AM ET

I’m all for reaching out to the fans, especially younger fans, but why couldn’t we have a happy medium? It’s not like kids that love the game don’t have plenty of opportunities to watch their favorite players play actual hockey—82 games is a lot.

What might be cool is to take a similar break, but instead of having the ASG, truly give the players physical time off, and instead have each club organize something like a “fan appreciation” event in their city—it would open up access to fans in all 30 markets, instead of limiting access to just the one market the ASG is in. The event could be much lower cost to the fan than ASG tickets. It could be a day of meet-and-greets, autograph opportunities, there could be interactive events where kids could do skills stuff like at the HHOF, and players could participate. There could be big boards and stages where players and coaches do live interviews. They could make a much more fan-friendly event out of it that would be way more accessible to far more fans.

This would be great on all sides. Each team would make a tiny bit of revenue from the event. Players would get a true week off from the regular season grind and have time to spend with families. And more fans would get more access to their favorite teams and their players.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/28/16 at 11:01 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Think of the children!

Give me a break.  The all star game sucks, and gets worse every year.  Ditch it and give everyone a break.  Any young fans needing face time can go to their favorite team’s training camp for a lot less money and hassle.  And the seats are better, too.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 01/28/16 at 11:20 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

The devils advocate to that argument Hootinani is what if said child wants to watch stars from out of market?
My son’s favourite team is the Canadiens (he was almost dropped off at an orphanage for that).
Outside of a few games on the CBC, he doesn’t get much opportunity to watch PK Subban and Carey Price.

I think that’s the main draw of the ASG for kids.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/28/16 at 11:24 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

I think that’s the main draw of the ASG for kids.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/28/16 at 10:24 AM ET

Truly not saying this to be an ass, but the Center Ice package that would allow your son to watch all 82 Habs games for the year is going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than taking him to the ASG.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/28/16 at 11:30 AM ET

Paul's avatar

I know son you are just learning the game, so let me explain some of it to you.

Your favorite team is the Arizona Coyotes right?  Well they don’t have a player in the game.  John Scott was voted in by the fans, I know you voted for him at least 1000 times but he was traded to Montreal who then sent him to the minors. Then it was announced he will be play,representing the Coyotes even though he is no longer in the league.

Your favorite player is Sidney Crosby followed by Alexander Ovechin right?  Well neither of those players will be playing, bu the Nashville Predators, the host team will have four playing.

Dad, dad, dad, this is confusing isn’t it?  Yes son it is.

Dad, let’s go to the movies.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/28/16 at 11:35 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I’m talking about watching the ASG on TV.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/28/16 at 12:10 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 01/28/16 at 09:09 AM ET

Ahahaahaha you think this event is for the fans and little kids. Oh Garth!

Posted by weswolverine on 01/28/16 at 12:23 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Yeah the “getting to see star players out of market” thing means nothing in the current climate where every game is broadcast and available on Center Ice or Gamecenter.

The ASG should be dead.  The only reason it’s not is corprate sponsorship.  Has nothing to do with “the kids” or what they want.  If the league could concoct something else to replace the ASG that would result in more sponsorship and sales money, they’d do it in a heartbeat no matter how blatant a grab it was.

I know I’m to the point where I just quietly hope none of my team’s players ever have to participate and can just have the time off.

Posted by Primis on 01/28/16 at 01:59 PM ET

The entire NHL is about money, not just the ASG so let’s put that piece of it to rest.

The events at the ASG ARE meant to engage the fan. I’m not sure why so many hockey fans hate it. I actually enjoy the change of pace, seeing the players a little more personable and admire the skills. One of my best hockey experiences was attending an All Star Weekend. No, it didn’t match the intensity of a Cup Final or even a early round playoff game but it was a lot of fun. It WAS part of what made my daughter a lifetime hockey fan.

I would like to see the players get more time off. It’s one hell of a grind. Doing it around the holidays and the Winter Classic would be ideal. I like the idea of a meet and greet with fans by ALL teams at the same time, sounds like good marketing.

If you don’t like the All Star game I suggest you use that as an opportunity to rest yourself, get outside, have fun with the family. Nobody is forcing you to watch it. This endless complaining about it is really getting old.

Personally, I wish I was headed to Nashville for the festivities this weekend. It’s the perfect city/location to host the event and I know I’d have a lot of fun and I’ll bet the rest of those in attendance have a lot of fun.

Posted by evileye on 01/28/16 at 03:28 PM ET

ColeCreber's avatar

Posted by evileye on 01/28/16 at 02:28 PM ET

Nashville is pretty nice city too. If I weren’t helping my sister move out from her bum of a fiancee I’d be attending since I’m next door in North Carolina. But.. My father has told me that family is important and I should be there to support her.. And move her heavy shit.

Posted by ColeCreber on 01/28/16 at 09:22 PM ET