Penguins Sign Richard Park to One-Year Deal

image

As the Penguins headed into the free agent frenzy this summer all of the talk focused on the fact that they might re-sign a former player. A guy who was drafted by the team back in the early 90’s, but hadn’t skated in the Burgh in a decade. Though the courtship was rocky and dragged on for several months, they finally got their man – Richard Park.

Who did you think I was talking about?? Jagr?

According to a tweet that the team sent this morning the Penguins have re-signed Park, who last skated with the team during the 96-97 season, to a one-year contract.

Park, 35, was drafted by the Penguins with the 50th pick in the 1994 NHL Entry Draft and he has played parts of 13 NHL seasons, appearing in 684 regular-season games with Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Vancouver and the NY Islanders, notching 95 goals, 132 assists and 227 points. Park has added eight points (3G-5A) in 38 postseason contests.

He spent last season skating with Geneve Servette of the Swiss National League where he tallied 34 points (15G-19A) in 47 games.

Park is probably best known for his solid penalty killing and has notched 14 career shorthanded goals, including a career-high four in ’07-08.

As a rookie back in 95-96, Park played an important role for a Penguins’ team that went on to the Eastern Conference Finals.

During his most recent NHL season with the New York Islanders in 2009-10, Park established a career-high with 22 assists and tied the second-highest point total (31) of his career in 81 contests. Park tallied 10-plus goals and 30-plus points in three of his four seasons with New York prior to heading to Switzerland.

Park played four seasons for the Belleville Bulls of the Ontario Hockey League between 1992-96, collecting 85 goals, 144 assists and 229 points in 176 games. He added 65 points (30G-35A) in 47 postseason games.

When the 5-foot-11, 190-pound Park made his NHL debut with Pittsburgh on May 3, 1995, he became just the second South Korean-born player to appear in the NHL, joining former Penguins defenseman Jim Paek.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, Brian Metzer, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nhl, penguins, south+korea, switzerland

Comments

OneSmugPug's avatar

Hah.. A Pittsburgh 95-96 ECF reference. It’s the bane of our existence

Posted by OneSmugPug on 09/08/11 at 12:44 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

OH do you think it’s right that the Pens & Crosby sign a Player when it’s only been 1 day since the plane crash

Posted by Evilpens on 09/08/11 at 01:01 PM ET

Russian Rocket's avatar

I can’t imagine he plays in the NHL again unless we see a run of injuries like last year.  I’m thinking veteran presence for WBS.

Posted by Russian Rocket on 09/08/11 at 01:09 PM ET

brianmetzer's avatar

@Russian Rocket That is exactly what he is. Unless he really wows them in camp, there really isn’t a spot on the parent club for him….injuries would be his ticket.

Posted by brianmetzer on 09/08/11 at 01:12 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

although Metz he is a Great PKer

Posted by Evilpens on 09/08/11 at 01:14 PM ET

brianmetzer's avatar

Agreed…

Also, according to Ek in 09, one of the best young players in the league… though I remember watching those games in 95 from my old season seats in E28! I guess he was one of the best 30-something players at that point in time…

Posted by brianmetzer on 09/08/11 at 01:16 PM ET

OneSmugPug's avatar

@EvilPens - It’s never appropriate to do business when tragedies happen. Seriously, ESPN should have been all over the news yesterday, especially when you consider they are the “Worldwide Leader” in a sport they don’t broadcast and the team involved is based in a country that doesn’t get much mention in US media coverage ever.  Can you imagine my disdain when I discovered that both the Post Office AND my bank were open for regular business hours yesterday?

Posted by OneSmugPug on 09/08/11 at 01:17 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

OSP you are still on your game LOL

Posted by Evilpens on 09/08/11 at 01:39 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I love it when people go fishing for reactions.  smile

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 09/08/11 at 01:52 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Damn, I’m late to the Pens fans defense of Castle Greyskull regarding the Sidsters presser a few hours after the plane crash that killed an entire professional hockey team yesterday.

Looks like both sides have the discourse covered; I’ll go back to eating my peanuts from the gallery with a big grin.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 09/08/11 at 05:55 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

The ponds ‘s always stocked. wink

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 09/08/11 at 08:44 PM ET

Tony's avatar

I think Park has a legitimate shot at a 4 liner + PK’er, at least early in the season….

Not counting Park, I show 14 legitimate forwards expected to be on the big club, but that includes Crosby.  I don’t think it’s a slam dunk that Jeffrey is going to be ready, either.  And lastly, even though he’s a fan favorite, I’m not giving Tangradi a free ride just yet.  MacIntyre probably won’t be dressing every game as well….

If I had to wager, yeah I would say he goes to WBS, but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see him make the team….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 09/08/11 at 09:06 PM ET