Pay No Attention To The CBA Talks

from Damien Cox of The Spin,

Pay no attention. Ignore them.

That’s about the best advice anyone can give a hockey fan these days as the NHL and NHL Players Association start the verbal sparring of yet another round of collective bargaining negotiations that almost certainly will result in another work stoppage.

For the “crime” of loving the game too passionately and supporting the 30 NHL clubs too enthusiastically in the wake of the last lockout, NHL fans and customers will now pay the price of watching the league and players demonstrate once more they care more about the business of the game than the sport or the fans.

They’ll shut the game down, at least for a while, because the fans didn’t punish them emphatically for shutting it down the last time. And it appears nothing will stop that from happening.

continued

added 6:58pm, from David Shoalts of the Globe and Mail,

Now that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman ripped the scales of optimism from too many eyes about an NHL lockout, the only question is how long will it be?Will it wipe out an entire season like the owners did in 2004-05 to get the salary-cap system they now say is so impossible to work under that another lockout is necessary? Or will the players and owners manage to get a new collective agreement in time to save the Winter Classic on Jan. 1, the event that kicks off the NHL’s U.S. television coverage and a mega-millions payout from NBC?

continued

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Cox, you are the whiniest piece of shxt in Canada (no small feat).  Let’s not let reality affect your little gripe.  Perhaps if I hadn’t seen his arrogant uninformed weasel face on Bob McCown’s show, I wouldn’t grant him special hate.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 08/09/12 at 11:40 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Well; Buttman and owners are gonna do it again it seems. Alot of fans wont forgive it this time around and in turn spend their gaming dollars on NFL and NBA tickets. So congratulations Buttman, you just made more fans….....................for other sports. And they are taking their dollars with them.

Owners bitch and moan about losing revenue. So explain to me how they gain revenue by not having any games to go to? No tickets sold = no money. No games to get excited about = no merchandise being sold. So again, explain to me how this helps your revenue stream(s)?

You want to keep taking money from the same people who put butts in the seats. They took a serious haircut last go around and you want them to do it again. And what else do they get if they take the paycut? Oh yea, more guidelines on what they can’t do in regards to contracts and their own personal well being. Am I missing something here or is really that bassackwards in those meetings? I seriously just don’t get it.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 08/09/12 at 11:52 PM ET

Won’t happen, 99% of us will come back!

They want 50 50 like the NFL and NBA, also 15 teams lose money any given season and they want to reduce that number. Rich teams have no interest in sharing revenue with money losing teams so voila, you get the impasse. This isn’t rocket science!

Let the angst go, if they lockout, they lockout, move on to other things until it comes back.

Posted by timbits on 08/10/12 at 12:21 AM ET

Winged20Wheel's avatar

It took me a year or two to rebound from the last lockout. If it happens again. They will lose my money in future seasons for a Pav Sweater and game tix and concessions. Good luck getting me back.

Posted by Winged20Wheel on 08/10/12 at 01:22 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Damien probably doesn’t watch half of the games he covers in the NHL, just like he doesn’t watch half of the games he bitches about at the Olympics. He’s the one who should be ignored and should be chastised for telling fans “what to think.”

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/10/12 at 03:54 AM ET

It is very simple for me. I’ll just react like I did to the last lockout. For as long as the league has a lockout I will then not directly purchase any goods from the NHL/NHLPA. Last time they lost an entire season, so for the next full season, no tickets bought, no sweaters, goodbye Center Ice and no other merchandise.  So go ahead and cancel half the season, I’ll see you again next year.

Last time, I still watched what I already paid for on basic cable, but I went from being a season ticket holder to no tickets at all for a season and never did re-new my season tickets.  Now I just pick and choose a couple of games a year and feel less and less compelled to spend any money on the product.  Apparently, they don’t need my money and I found plenty of alternatives to spend it on during the last lockout. Did the owners miss my money? I’m sure they didn’t, but at least I didn’t subsidize the next lockout either.

It seems like an impasse between owners on how to spread the wealth. Last time it was about “ticket” prices. So I guess the Leafs and Rangers had to increase ticket pricces sicne the last lockout to remain profitable?

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 08/10/12 at 11:38 AM ET

I understand that no fan wants a lockout, it sucks. But to distance yourself from the game because of it seems strange to me. If the NHL is gone, I watch junior or college games or something else. I don’t hate hockey because of an NHL lockout. The only impact it has on me is that I don’t get to see games, once it is back I am back. Fans have no control on any of this, so to silently protest is meaningless. It reminds of when a kid tells his mom ” I will hold my breath until I get what I want”. OK hold your breath you will only turn blue and pass out!

Posted by timbits on 08/10/12 at 12:43 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Gosh, there’s nothing you can do to convince the people holding your favorite sport hostage that you’re interested in the soul of the game rather than the lining of their pockets, but that you’re perfectly willing to accept the latter if it protects the former.

Might as well give up and throw them all your money, sucker.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/10/12 at 01:19 PM ET

to distance yourself from the game because of it seems strange to me.

Never said I distance myself from “the game”, just my wallet from the NHL. I still play, go to my kids games, I watch games that are already paid for in my basic cable package and attend other games, just not the NHL.

When you hold your breathe you just turn blue, when I don’t spend my money on hockey, I have more money for other things.  I’ll donate more money to KK than I have in the past instead.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 08/10/12 at 01:55 PM ET

Might as well give up and throw them all your money, sucker

And what possible action could you take that will prevent any of this from happening? Not at thing!

Posted by timbits on 08/10/12 at 04:20 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by timbits on 08/10/12 at 02:20 PM ET

Earl Sleek had a really good take on this over at Battle of California.

In essence, the decision is going to be whether I individually decide to take personal punitive action against the league for robbing me of hockey or whether I come back to the NHL at all.

If you don’t like that, that’s your call, but don’t tell me how to be a fan or even what to be a fan of.  Maybe I’m a fan of petty vengeance? That’s my business.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/10/12 at 05:20 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Won’t happen, 99% of us will come back!

Finally…. I’m in the 1%. cheese

Posted by calquake on 08/10/12 at 06:00 PM ET

Finally…. I’m in the 1%.

Posted by calquake on 08/10/12 at 04:00 PM ET

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 08/10/12 at 06:16 PM ET

And Cox can suck it.  Dude doesn’t speak for me as a hockey fan.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 08/10/12 at 06:17 PM ET

Go for it, but it won’t change anything!

Posted by timbits on 08/10/12 at 06:21 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Go for it, but it won’t change anything!

Tell that to Don Quixote.

And thanks SYF.

Posted by calquake on 08/10/12 at 06:30 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by timbits on 08/10/12 at 04:21 PM ET

You don’t vote either, do you?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/10/12 at 06:54 PM ET

You can see how that vote thing has been working out for us lately, tell me lt has made a difference, regardless of who you pick.

Posted by timbits on 08/11/12 at 12:44 AM ET