Pavelski Call

Joe Pavelski scored the OT goal for the Sharks last night, which evens the series with Colorado at 2.

Watch Sharks TV broadcaster Randy Hahn with the call, then watch the same play below with Avalanche play by play man Mike Haynes making the call.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: joe+pavelski

Comments

wingsfanindenver's avatar

The only thing that could possibly make me happier would be if somehow both teams lost that series.

Posted by wingsfanindenver on 04/21/10 at 11:03 AM ET

Unless it is against the Penguins, one of my favorite sounds is when the road team gets the OT in the playoffs.  The insane quiet with the winning team screaming is just awesome.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 04/21/10 at 11:09 AM ET

I really wish the Sharks would lose in this round so we can just get their inevitable playoff collapse over with and start focusing on teams that really matter.

The San Jose Sharks: The Atlanta Braves of the NHL. Oh, wait: The Braves actually won one World Series when they won damn near every division title in the 90s.

Posted by Paul Kelly on 04/21/10 at 12:12 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

I can’t listen to that clip. San Jose’s announcers may be the biggest team of homers in the NHL.

Posted by cs6687 on 04/21/10 at 12:47 PM ET

Mac's avatar

Aren’t the local broadcoasters supposed to be homers?  That’s what the pay them for…just sayin’!

Posted by Mac from Canada on 04/21/10 at 01:48 PM ET

awould's avatar

The SJ announcers are huge homers. Anyone with Center Ice package can tell you that. I don’t mind an announcer obviously favoring their team, but I hate the ones who constantly whine about their team getting screwed on calls or non-calls. Who complain that the other team is dirty when both teams are doing it. SJ announcers do that.

I love Mickey Redmond, the Wings color man. He hates the refs equally for both teams and has no problem calling out weak penalties for either team and will frequently bring up missed calls against the Wings. He’s clearly a Detroit fan, but he announces the games like a hockey fan. It’s rare.

Watching this Detroit/Phx series, the Fox Sports AZ guys for Phx, Dave Strader and Tyson Nash, are pretty big homers. It sucks.

Posted by awould on 04/21/10 at 02:24 PM ET

To be fair to Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda, they are probably one of the best duos in the league.  They do get excited about the Sharks, like they should, but they also give quite a bit of attention to the other team and analyze small things that can be easily missed.  They point out bad calls on both sides.  Try other broadcasts, some don’t even know the names of the opposing team and constantly whine about non calls.  Listen to a Ducks broadcast and you’ll wish you were deaf.  If you want real homerism, read Dater’s blog about the Av’s.  I felt bad for Avalanche fans after reading that thing, it’s straight up embarrassing.

The CBC announcers last night seemed homerish towards the Avs, and that caught me off guard a little bit. They almost seemed upset with that OT goal, which kind of blew my mind because it’s a sweet hockey play and CBC shouldn’t really have much allegiance to either team.  Snipe glove high in OT, that’s just perfect.

And I’ve got to agree, hearing players celebrate like that is a beautiful thing, regardless of the team. Pure jubilation.  Passion amongst the professional players is one of the things that sets hockey above the rest IMO

Posted by Sharks Fan First, Hockey Fan Second from San Luis Obispo,CA on 04/21/10 at 02:32 PM ET

I agree completely awoud.  On the odd night when they only have one feed of a detroit game and it isn’t FSD I go insane listening to the horrific play by play by the announcers.  I live in Columbus and like the team and all, but even their homer announcers suck especially when playing the Wings.  I saw a pass get intercepted and Danny Gare starts talki’n about Huselius stripped the puck right off datsyuks stick.  Which is fine and dandy except I can see with my own eyes that that’s not even remotely close to what happened.  I understand they gotta do what the boss wants and some teams are more confident in others and their fans, like Detroit.  I love Mickey too, he’s always off on tangents for weak calls by Refs on BOTH sides and calls it like he sees it, which is actually the way I see it since we’re all watching the same game.  Their honest if anything in detroit, well done Mickey!!!

p.s.  Sharks aren’t the worste, Anyone with center ice knows it’s Anaheim with honorable mention to Chicago. (at least before Uncle Mike served’em up some humble pie before that last game)

Posted by brad on 04/21/10 at 06:24 PM ET