Patrick Roy Decides To Leave The Colorado Organization

DENVER, CO, Aug. 11, 2016 /PRNewswire/ - Patrick Roy, head coach and vice president of hockey operations for the Colorado Avalanche, has issued the following statement:

"For the past three years, I have carried out my duties as Head Coach and Vice President of Hockey Operations for the Colorado Avalanche with energy, passion and determination.

I have thought long and hard over the course of the summer about how I might improve this team to give it the depth it needs and bring it to a higher level. To achieve this, the vision of the coach and VP-Hockey Operations needs to be perfectly aligned with that of the organization. He must also have a say in the decisions that impact the team's performance. These conditions are not currently met.

Today, I am informing you of my decision to leave the Colorado Avalanche organization. Though it saddens me, I have put much thought about this decision in recent weeks and have come to be fully comfortable with it.

I am grateful to the Colorado Avalanche organization, with which I remain in good terms, for letting me lead this great team. I thank all the players I have had the pleasure of coaching and the fans for their unwavering, unconditional support.

I remain forever loyal to the Avalanche with which I played 478 games, coached another 253, and won two Stanley Cups."

Patrick Roy does not intend to comment further on this announcement.

added 3:24pm, Colorado release is below...

DENVER – Colorado Avalanche Head Coach/Vice President of Hockey Operations Patrick Roy has informed the organization that he has resigned from his duties, effective immediately.

Roy, 50, has spent the last three seasons in this role after being hired on May 23, 2013.

“Patrick informed me of his decision today,” said Avalanche Executive Vice President/General Manager Joe Sakic.  “We appreciate all he has done for our organization and wish him the best of luck in the future.”

“We will begin the search for a new head coach immediately,” continued Sakic.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: patrick+roy

Comments

Temo's avatar

WHOA   ohh

Posted by Temo from La Capital, Míchígán on 08/11/16 at 02:05 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Typical, Don’t give me what I want and I will leave.  Good for the Avs.  A prema donna with a fat head…Forgot the 2 cup rings in his ears. Joe Sakic stays

Made my day, LMAO

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 08/11/16 at 02:29 PM ET

Primis's avatar

It ended the only way anyone ever thought it would or could.

I truly believe Roy thought he would step behind the bench an immediately win it all, that it was just all that easy.  He never respected any of his coaches as a player, so he thought it would be easy.

It’s not.

So Roy can go out the loser he always actually has been.

Posted by Primis on 08/11/16 at 03:05 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Wonder if CO will have an easier time recruiting FA’s now.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/11/16 at 03:07 PM ET

Chet's avatar

that’s a bit harsh. reads to me like he doesn’t want to run a budget team, even poorly.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 08/11/16 at 03:09 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Pierre LeBrun tweets,

Just spoke with Patrick Roy, who says he’s got a ton of respect for Joe Sakic, the Avs and the Avs players

But Roy felt timing was right given the philosophical differences. Doesn’t know what his future holds for him at this point

Given that he has another year on his deal with Avs, says might just take a year to enjoy life, which he’s rarely had the chance to do

Roy also insists people shouldn’t read into it more than what he said in the statement… says there’s no back story, just time to move on

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/11/16 at 03:11 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Way to take your marbles and go home.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 08/11/16 at 03:12 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

You can take this vague announcement many different ways, but…

Patrick Roy does not intend to comment further on this announcement.

Sort of makes me think there is a lot more behind this all which we’ll never get to know about.

I’d love to know what some of guys who played for him thought of him.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/11/16 at 03:16 PM ET

dreamsofhope's avatar

Being from Colorado (yet always being Redwings loyal), I get a lot of Avalanche exposure. Truthfully, I liked Roy behind the bench because in my mind it guaranteed the Avs had no chance for success. Which was fine by me. Roy leaving actually gives the Avs hope, which I don’t like to see. I don’t necessarily know what “philosophical reasons” means but in addition to being a budget team, I would think it has to do with coaching philosophy too. The Avs advanced stats last year were absolutely terrible. They were last or close to it in many different categories, yet somehow had a decent record. Honestly the only indicator that they should have even been in the playoff hunt was their shot blocking, and maybe timely/clutch performances that weren’t reflected in the numbers. But they played much, much worse than their talent would suggest. Depending on who they hire, I think this makes the Avs a better team. And while I’m happy to not have Roy around anymore because he drives me nuts, I was happy with the Avs being a sub-par team so that all the hockey fans in Colorado would leave me alone about the Wings.

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 08/11/16 at 03:24 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added Avs release to the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/11/16 at 03:25 PM ET

Ha.  Last game against the Wings:  a 5-3 loss to the Wings at Coors Field.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/11/16 at 03:25 PM ET

awould's avatar

...the vision of the coach and VP-Hockey Operations needs to be perfectly aligned with that of the organization. He must also have a say in the decisions that impact the team’s performance. These conditions are not currently met.

These statements are inconsistent.

Good riddance, I guess. I don’t really care other than that I’ve always disliked Roy for being an Av but also for being a jerk and a smarmy human being.

Posted by awould on 08/11/16 at 03:35 PM ET

pautna's avatar

Loser, quitter.

Posted by pautna on 08/11/16 at 03:50 PM ET

His face looks like he drinks too much of an alcohol. Or does he has some other kind of health problem?

Posted by tutoka from Leelanau Peninsula on 08/11/16 at 03:51 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

He remains completely loyal to the Avs, except for this one time when hes leaving them high and dry because they didn’t kiss his ass.

And he has tremendous respect for Sakic, except for this one time when he rights a statement throwing him and the rest of the organization under the bus.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 08/11/16 at 03:53 PM ET

igrover's avatar

Hate to toot my own horn however I called this one the day he was hired.

Too bad so sad.

Posted by igrover on 08/11/16 at 04:00 PM ET

These statements are inconsistent.

How do you figure?  In the release he said that his vision was not in line with the organization’s and LeBrun’s tweet says that there is nothing beyond what he said in the statement.

Posted by Garth on 08/11/16 at 04:07 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Now if only Drumpf would decide to leave the presidential race.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 08/11/16 at 04:33 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Please stay on topic, no harm W…NYC but sure don’t want to turn this into a political debate.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/11/16 at 04:35 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Sources close to the organization say that a janitorial job had opened up at the Statue of Liberty.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 08/11/16 at 05:04 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Classless to the end.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 08/11/16 at 07:23 PM ET

I read @awould comment about inconsistency in Roy’s statement to refer to:

first, saying his role and the organization’s have to be in complete alignment re: vision

second, “he”, also must have a say on decisions that impact the team’s performance.

if they’re in complete alignment, why would you also need to have a say?

who knows what the division of responsibility and decisions making actually was
and what this decision came down to.

The truth is, you can agree in terms of vision, but disagree about how to implement or decide some particular aspect of it.

It’s just sloppy English, the kind most of us, most organizations, use all the time: arguably contradictory, arguably half-redundant, definitely vague. It does seem to come down to a conflict over control over certain personnel decisions/too many cooks.

Posted by Lefty30 on 08/11/16 at 11:04 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

He was one of my favorite hockey villains. Guess it’s Crybaby now.  LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 08/11/16 at 11:40 PM ET

Loser, quitter.

Posted by pautna on 08/11/16 at 03:50 PM ET

They might go after John Stevens for his defensive work with the Kings.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/12/16 at 02:02 AM ET

This really comes as no surprise to me. As much as Roy and Sakic might have respected each other on the ice, it was going to hard for Roy to see Sakic as his boss in this role.

I don’t know what Roy expected to be different. He overachieved in his first year and ended up setting his organization expectations way to high. It was going to take years to develop a competitive team especially playing within a budget in the toughest division an toughest conference.

Roy has never been about patience. The easiest way to be successful against him on the ice was always to get in his head. A couple of quick goals and his concentration would lapse and the game would get away. Admittedly few teams were capable of doing this with any regularity but the Wings happened to be one of those teams. Witness his last game in Montreal, his beatdown in WCF game 7 or that statue of liberty save.

He’ll likely surface again but I believe he’ll have a hard time succeeding as coach in the league because he won’t be calling all the shots.

Posted by evileye on 08/12/16 at 01:02 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

They might go after John Stevens for his defensive work with the Kings.

Posted by SYF from #GORDIEHOWEARENA on 08/12/16 at 02:02 AM ET

Hey hey, no need to be spreading ideas.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 08/12/16 at 05:06 PM ET

Hey hey, no need to be spreading ideas.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 08/12/16 at 05:06 PM ET

Shuttingup.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/12/16 at 11:58 PM ET