Pat Verbeek Named GM Of The Anaheim Ducks

from the Anaheim Ducks,

The Ducks have named Pat Verbeek the sixth General Manager in franchise history. Verbeek joins the Ducks with two Stanley Cups on his resume and 36 years of NHL experience, 16 as an executive and 20 as an NHL player. He won Stanley Cups as a player (1999) and Professional Scout (2008), and helped build foundational pieces of Tampa Bay's eventual back-to-back championship teams in 2020 and 2021.

"Susan and I are delighted to welcome Pat Verbeek to our community to guide our hockey club as the next General Manager of the Anaheim Ducks," said Ducks Owners Henry and Susan Samueli. "Pat's outstanding work ethic and vast knowledge of the game as a successful executive and player throughout his 35-plus years in the NHL make him an outstanding fit to lead us forward. He brings a unique pedigree, having vast experience and serving in integral leadership roles for championship teams as both a player and executive at the NHL level."

continued

added 12:04pm, below, Steve Yzerman on Verbeek.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Rumbear's avatar

A hearty tip of the hat to the Little Ball of Hate!

A good organization gets a worthy GM!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, sing along The YzerMan Can!...... on 02/03/22 at 02:57 PM ET

Knew this day was coming, but I was not expecting the Ducks.  The Yotes, because they needed a focused direction and a plan.

I thought SEA would grab him.  Nope.

WPG, also because I thought they would kick Cheveldayoff to the curb for not improving the roster.

Definitely VAN after the Jim Benning failure.

The Ducks, it is.

Good luck, Verbeek.  Hope you do well, but I hope you suck ass against the Wings.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 02/03/22 at 03:41 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Was thinking of you SYF, hope all is well.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/03/22 at 03:48 PM ET

Paul's avatar

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Verbeek leaving to run his own team ultimately reflects well on Yzerman, because the two have worked closely together for nearly two decades spanning two Stanley Cup champion franchises.

“Absolutely that was a critical factor,” Ducks owner Henry Samueli said Thursday. Steve’s record speaks for itself. He’s a tremendous individual and he’s been a tremendous mentor to Pat. He’s brought him along and exposed him to all sorts of jobs within the organization, so the breadth of his experience, coupled with being with winning organizations, really was a win-win for everybody.”

The Ducks formally introduced Verbeek as GM via a video conference call Thursday, with Verbeek at his home in the metro Detroit area and Samueli in his office in Orange County. Verbeek noted he had 10 inches of snow on the ground, adding “I don’t think that’s going to be in Anaheim when I get there on Saturday.”

It’s a tremendous opportunity for Verbeek, who takes control of a team with a talented young roster that includes recent first-round picks Trevor Zegras and Jamie Drysdale.

“It’s the beginning of a longtime goal to become general manager and to build a Stanley Cup winner,” Verbeek said. “I wouldn’t be sitting here today if it wasn’t for Jimmy Devellano and Kenny Holland giving me a chance as a pro scout back in 2006. I want to thank them both for their invaluable guidance and mentorship and for giving me a blueprint to get here today.”

more (paid)

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/03/22 at 03:52 PM ET

I’m good, Boss.  No issues here in Vegas.  Our family still keeps you and NHL fans in our nightly Rosary.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 02/03/22 at 03:58 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar